• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

New idea for producing shatter

sailor bugg

Bluelighter
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] This is what I have come up with as a way to make my shatter production a little more sound and robust. [/FONT]

So here it goes……

These are the items I will be looking to purchase……

Since blasting butane can result in fireballs and can eventually cost a fair amount of money, and pollute the environment, I've thought of getting a closed loop system. Now I won't be pulling any huge yields yet so this one looks like it might work just great for me…..

http://www.cascadiadynamix.com/inc/sdetail/220

It's a bit small but I can just keep extracting over and over right?
It also seems to be a price I can afford atm.
From what I understand ( Please correct me if I've made an error ), I put the butane through the plant material wear it collects in the bottom flask and to recover the butane I put the bottom flask in warm water with the hose leading to the holding tank in cold water. This will cause the butane to evap. and then condense in the colder tank as it's liquifying point is -0.5*C. Then the holding tanks butane can be reused for future extractions, correct? (sorry I've just been learning about these today and if my knowledge is off just point it out ). I'm assuming when not in use the holding tank should be kept in something like a freezer to keep the butane liquid so it doesn't become a gas and exert to much pressure on the tank.
From what I gather the bottom detaches and it can be put in a vac purg to clean up the remaining butane.
The cost of it is around 1000$ but it seems that the money saved from not having to constantly buy butane will eventually off set this and it's a hell of a lot safer than blasting through a tube.

Also I'm gonna scrap using a hot plate, water bath and dish and go for a vac purg system. I found this one

http://www.heatvac.com

I was thinking of getting the HeatVac Gold XL package as it comes with everything I need ( 2 stage pump, gasket, hose, chamber and can get to 30mmHg and heat controlled with convection not just a heating plate under it). It has a large chamber and seems to be a reasonable price compared to most comparable vac purgs.

If I use a set up like this a lot of the danger is gone, it's much simpler, you get a better product and save time and eventually money.

Now I have a few questions ( I'd look them up myself but I'm dead tired and am going to bed and maybe I'll get an answer or two by the time i wake up ). Now for the vacuum purge first, I know it will come with instructions on how to use it but why not get the ball rolling. Am I correct I want the Hg to measure 29.9mm when purging, to make shatter should I use a temperature of 120*F and how long should I purge for, I've heard of this muffin thing it can do, can someone explain this to me and tell me what exactly I do when it does this. If there is anything else I should know please do tell, I'll obviously read teks but if you know the answer it saves me time looking. Any secret tricks or tips to making real good shatter or will it come down to me just having to run it a few times until I get it down to how I can do it properly.

Another question I have is about the loop system, would it be possible to put a layer of something like parchment paper in the receiving tank so that when it's vac'd I can peel the shatter off of it and not have to scrape it off and make it into shards and keep it as a nice big piece? Or will it stick to the shatter and leave me with paper and shatter mixture? Also can the loop system be used indoors ( all be it by an open door with a fan blowing the air out the door ) so that it can be done inside? I don't see where you would have any butane leaks so it *seems* safe but you never know, maybe better safe than sorry?

I think this system I have is a lot more feasible than my last macgyver attempt and will make a superior product and be much safer and professional. Although the start up cost is larger I think it's way worth it and will save a lot of hassle.

So if there's anything I'm missing or overlooked please let me know. I'm not new to making chems, but BHO is a new thing to me, I just happen to know a lot of people who appreciate shatter that's been made properly so I figured why not give it a go? Wether I make lots or little it's not my main concern, getting to try to perfect something and playing with stuff like this is fun for me and it seems viable. And who knows it could take off and be something that I can use to pay for things like my schooling and such.

If you have some knowledge bombs to drop on me let em' fall, it's how I'll learn, right?