MAPS New Harvard Study Shows No Causal Link Between Marijuana and Schizophrenia

kittyinthedark

Bluelight Crew
“The results of the current study suggest that having an increased familial morbid risk for schizophrenia may be the underlying basis for schizophrenia in cannabis users and not cannabis use by itself.”

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/12/10/harvard-marijuana-doesnt-cause-schizophrenia/63148.html

I think many of us have assumed this to be the case for years, especially given the overwhelming anecdotal evidence that strongly suggests that cannabis has a lot of positive impact on people with certain psychiatric disorders and at minimum does not appear to exacerbate them in most typical cases.

I want to see Harvard follow a daily Marijuana user for 15 years then re-write that article. Just because a kid is smoking a joint doesn't mean shit, Harvard psych means shit after they abandoned Ram Dass, and Leary. I would like to see the NIH response to that, sure cannabis is an OK drug in the mind of the eye... That does not mean it doesn't have negative effects. I am fighting for legalization for those who need it not those who abuse it. If your not sick drink Martini's

People who use cannabis and then develop schizophrenia later on in life, IMHO cannabis played no role and that they were genetically predisposed to it and were going to develop it whether or not cannabis use for involved. I mean sure, smoking cannabis whilst you have schizophrenia I could see has potential to worsen a current episode of psychosis, but that isn't developing schizophrenia. Then again, isn't cannabis used as an anti-psychotic/has anti-psychotic properties, directly CBD's actions if I'm not mistaken?

I want to see studies of that directly prove how cannabis can cause schizophrenia, not a bullshit myth still going on.

Pretty much a genetic thing... but if you asked me substances can induce it early on and the amout of thc to cbd ratio in the exotic herb these days is way too high imo

I got schizophrenia from cannabis. It was always a mostly negative experience every time I smoked. Mushrooms didn't have any psychotic or negative features during or after, and I plan to continue to use them.

Two brothers with schizophrenia.

So yeah.

“In general, we found a tendency for depression and bipolar disorder to be increased in the relatives of cannabis users in both the patient and control samples. This might suggest that cannabis users are more prone to affective disorders than their non-using samples or vice versa.” Future research is needed to understand this relationship.

Drug abuse also appears to have an important genetic component.

“Drug abuse is present more frequently in family members of all 3 samples compared to those of non-cannabis abusing controls. This is in line with past research confirming a genetic predisposition for drug use.”

“The results of the current study suggest that having an increased familial morbid risk for schizophrenia may be the underlying basis for schizophrenia in cannabis users and not cannabis use by itself.”

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/12/10/harvard-marijuana-doesnt-cause-schizophrenia/63148.html

I think many of us have assumed this to be the case for years, especially given the overwhelming anecdotal evidence that strongly suggests that cannabis has a lot of positive impact on people with certain psychiatric disorders and at minimum does not appear to exacerbate them in most typical cases.

Interesting. I've read that excessive dopamine is not thought to be the current cause of sczhophrenia anymore.

That may explain cannabis not having a causual relationship with mental illness and use.