• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids New generic Exalgo (Hydromorphone ER)

augold

Greenlighter
I have been recently prescribed 16mg generic Exalgo (Hydromorphone ER) years ago a pain doc RX'd me the 8mg before generics came out, and the 8mg had two parts, a grey non-drug side, and a white drug side. This new generic 16mg do not have the grey side, just the drug coated with a plastic-like material, no pinhole like the name-brand. Once the plastic-like material is scraped off they crush into a fine powder and filter like a regular IR hydromorphone tablet. These are made by Perrigo, they have none of the abuse deterrents like the original. Anyone else had these or seen them?

Hi there,
I'm also on Exalgo 16mg - exclusively the Mallinckrodt ones (yellow, round, EXH 16 imprint, pinhole). I dissolve the white drug side in water in a needleless syringe and administer it rectally (plugging).

Unfortunately, the pharmacies are telling me they can't get the Mallinckrodt ones for some reason, and don't know if/when they'll ever be able to again. I only have a few days left to find an alternative option!!

The only generics the pharmacies have are from Perrigo and Trigen - but I can't even find photos of these pills, let alone know their internal structure and whether I can prep and use them like the Mallinckrodts.

Can you tell me more about the Perrigo pills you have??? Color, shape, imprint, etc? You said they don't have the layers or the pinhole like the brand Exalgo - but you ARE still able to break the time-release?? Does it dissolve in water? How do you take the Perrigo? IV? Plug?

Any info, even photos, you can provide would be SO appreciated!!! I am DESPERATE to find an acceptable alternate in case the Mallinckrodts are gone forever!! I don't know what I'm going to do otherwise... ��

Thank you!!

https://www.pharmacompass.com/ndc-13811-702-10

That ^ link takes you to a page on a website that tells you ALL about the Trigen Hydromorphone ER pills(16mg, 8mg, etc..)... including all of the inactive ingredients.
And I'm sorry to say that it looks like you can't dissolve this one in water. I could be mistaken though.

There was ZERO info on the Perrigo Hydromorphone pills. Not even on their website. It's as if they don't even make it.

Anyway, I hope this helped you at least a little. Good luck ��

-jB-

This is incredibly helpful, jB, thank you!! I have some further questions if you wouldn't mind indulging me...

When you say the Trigen hydromorphone ER pills look like they can't dissolve in water, can you explain how/why you've come to that conclusion? What is it about the pill/ingredients that tells you that? And what are you referring to specifically - the pill as a whole? what's inside? If the latter, do you know structurally what's inside? (i.e. Multi-layer active drug and osmotic push layer? some other controlled-release mechanism?)

Any info you can give will be appreciated. And feel free to over-explain and get as technical/specific as you're able and willing. If you lose me, I'll let you know lol

I'm just desperate to figure out:
1) which, if any, Exalgo generics use the OROS two-layer push-pull controlled-release mechanism - like Mallinckrodt uses
2) which controlled-release mechanism each of the various Exalgo generics use (Trigen, Perrigo, and I think there may be 1 or 2 other generics as well)
3) which of those Exalgo generics in part 2 are easiest to defeat and administer rectally (plug)

I mean, I can't even find photos of most of these generics!! Even with all the Trigen info, still no pill photo!
As for the Perrigo hydromorphone ER, the only info I DO have is they are "light beige, round, with a P 29516 imprint"... maybe that helps you find some more info?

Sorry for all my mad questioning. The days and my pills are ticking. I HAVE to figure this out or I'm worried what happens when I run out of what I'm used to taking in a few days... it's terrifying honestly. But your help is a literal lifeline. Thank you��

If you're just plugging them, then soaking the pills I'm slightly acidic solution, eg. Cola or soda water for 12ish hours, then diluting before you plug, is a guaranteed way around any time release AFAIK. Sorry if I'm talking bollovks tho!

https://www.pharmacompass.com/ndc-13811-702-10

That ^ link takes you to a page on a website that tells you ALL about the Trigen Hydromorphone ER pills(16mg, 8mg, etc..)... including all of the inactive ingredients.
And I'm sorry to say that it looks like you can't dissolve this one in water. I could be mistaken though.

There was ZERO info on the Perrigo Hydromorphone pills. Not even on their website. It's as if they don't even make it.

Anyway, I hope this helped you at least a little. Good luck ��

-jB-

jB - What makes you say you don't think the Trigens can be dissolved in water?

Cause after some research, it seems the Trigens DO use a push-pull osmotic pump like the Mallinkrodts (can't confirm til I get them)

BUT... if the drug layer is NOT dissolvable in water, that's gonna be a complication for my prep...

Hello All,
I am new to bluelight, as far as posting, but I have read a few things over the years. Sorry if I do not speak the "lingo" very well, but one thing I am not new to is pain management and Exalgo.
I understand that people will take their pills however they must sometimes in order to get sufficient pain releif, and I hope the following information is useful. I also have a few questions, which follow. Please forgive me for being long winded in advance.
I have been on Exalgo (64 mgs daily ((32 mgs bid)), along with several other meds like hydrocodone IR, soma, and lyrica, etc) for about 8 years and have been a pain management patient for over 25 years. I have tried about every other narcotic pain medication, from fentanyl (a dud for me) to opana, to morphine IR, to oxycodone 80 mgs, etc. I have taken these meds in nearly every way, from crushing to diluting, when necessary for pain releif.... but never got to injecting as I hate needles.
As far as the question regarding the best route for the new, suposed abuse deterrent Exalgo brands, I can tell you a few things that I have learned that may help you.
When your talking about the brand name exalgo with the bi-layer tech, you can still obtain it, sometimes depending on your pharmacy and their stash and willingness to order it and not creating a stink with your doctor by calling and stating that you are asking for a different manufacturer, which seems to make pain doctors itchy these days... as anything seems to do now, thanks to the new war on pain patients and prescribers. It can be ordered, as long as your prescription states specifically "brand name necessary ", otherwise; your going to get the (at least 5 formulations that I know of in circulation as of October 2019) and the new "abuse deterrent " formulations coming out.... which are different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Most use the "push-pull" formalulations, just in a few different ways.
The "Brand" name, as you seem to know, uses the bi-layer, which is easy to separate. With the abuse deterrent formulations coming out, your going to have to get creative in some way because the formulations all seem be similar in that they all incorporate an encapsulation system.
While it is true that you can separate the drug from the "waxy" substance (whichever the brand incorporates.. I won't get into the names) a bit by disolving in a coke bath, but your still going to loose some of the active pain drug in the process. I have found that simply separating the pill and swallowing the white part with some coke on an empty stomach works best for me... No matter what generic you get, but that is just me.
As you all probably know, taking the pill whole is a waste (if your pain level is max and your tolerance is extraordinarily high).
I also recall that one of the generics (a pink pill with blue ink marking the numbers and letters, sorry, I can't recall the manufacturer) had a green sublayer that you cannot see unless it comes into contact with water or saliva that is hard to bypass unless you cut thru the tablet with a razor blade and carefully peal back the covering.
If anyone knows of a better way to take exalgo or to bypass this system that's screwing the efficacy, please let me know. Thanks.

These tablets you're talking about are the same discription of the tablets we are getting going by the name of genestia.
Grey half and white the gray part we discard the white part is boiled off in 5ml of water the white comes out leaving a plastic like shell and they come in 8 , 16 , 32 and 64 mg I am positive that it's the same as you're talking about... I have looked into these online and nothing comes up àll I know is that they knock you out for a 6.has anyone else seen these under the name genista?