• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Florida law bans kids under 18 from buying cough syrup

rwtrwt

Bluelighter
http://wfla.com/2016/12/28/new-florida-law-bans-kids-under-18-from-buying-cough-syrup/

SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – Soon there will be huge changes to the way cough medicine is sold in Florida stores. Starting Jan. 1, children under the age of 18 will be banned from buying cough medicine in the state. It’s an effort to curb a dangerous drug threat.

For around 60 years, cough medicines have used a special ingredient to suppress those annoying coughs. It’s called Dextromethorphan, or DXM. In small doses, it can soothe those pesky cold symptoms.

But, pharmacist Vincent Nguyen says some take advantage of it.

“It can be harmful in large quantities,” said Nguyen.

Millions of young adults abuse cough medicine. They drink large amounts of it, snort it, or inject it to get a quick high, and Florida lawmakers want to stop it.

Starting Jan. 1, a new law takes effect banning people under the age of 18 from buying cough syrup. Pharmacies and stores will be required to check ID and violators could face fines.

“That’s a great idea honestly,” said high school student Lucas Genser.

Genser knows of other teens who have abused cough syrup. He doesn’t understand why people do it.

“It’s like, a really bad idea to get high off cough syrup or any type of drug pretty much. You should just spend your time playing sports or doing something active instead of just spending your time getting high all day,” said Genser.

It has dangerous consequences. Experts say DXM abuse can lead to side effects like liver damage, heart attacks or death. Florida joins at least 11 other states that have similar bans.

“I think it has its pros and cons,” said Nguyen.

Nguyen admits this new law can be an inconvenience for young people who genuinely need the medicine.

“At the same time it will also help quench those cases of abuse and I believe make the community a little bit safer,” said Nguyen.

There are warning signs if your teen is abusing cough medicine. These include missing bottles of medicine, change in physical appearance and eating habits and withdrawing from friends and activities. It’s important to talk to your teens about the dangers of abusing cough syrup.

Has anyone ever heard of a person snorting or injecting cough syrup as claimed by this article? I bet this is a retard reporter getting DXM powder confused with syrup after 35 seconds of "research." I've never injected anything so correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't all the non-active ingredients in some thick ass cough syrup be potentially deadly? I'm afraid a stupid kid could hear this news on TV, try it, and kill themselves trying to inject it. I swear the worst and most devastating "fake news" comes out of "legitimate" news rooms.

Thanks for the laugh, I remember downing 10 packs of dexalone in Sarasota in the 9o's. It's taken this long? WTF I dated a girl who got caught stealing DXM in just about every local store. Thats not even what killed her, Died af alcoholism, Probably would not have liver failure from that. Im not gonna laugh at Florida though, I'm gonna laugh WITH florida. Good thing I'm over 18. Kids will just get it on ebay or amazon anyway i guess. At least the people ther voted for medical weed this year. No its not the sea level rising due to global warming that will sink Florida, It will sink from the weight of all that damn paperwork generated by stupid laws like this one. Is it just the syrup or do they ID for gelcaps as well? 8) Sigh.... Is Pee Wee Herman still living there, Hope he's well...

Do kids even still do dxm with the advent of RCs? I know people still do but those numbers must have dropped considering now you can just buy drugs online or know someone who does.

Has anyone ever heard of a person snorting or injecting cough syrup as claimed by this article? I bet this is a retard reporter getting DXM powder confused with syrup after 35 seconds of "research." I've never injected anything so correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't all the non-active ingredients in some thick ass cough syrup be potentially deadly? I'm afraid a stupid kid could hear this news on TV, try it, and kill themselves trying to inject it. I swear the worst and most devastating "fake news" comes out of "legitimate" news rooms.

Ive never heard of anyone trying to inject cough syrup in my entire life (and as a regular reader of BL that's really saying something)

Ive never heard of anyone trying to inject cough syrup in my entire life (and as a regular reader of BL that's really saying something)
Really? I just injected some Robitussin, and I'm tripping major balls! Seriously though, I don't think it's even possible. It's just the anti-drug media talking crap yet again. There is no way to inject cough syrup. As for snorting, it may be possible to snort pure DXM, but that would be quite rare. People drink cough syrup to trip and/or take large doses of DXM pills to trip, and I'm speaking from personal experience here. As for other methods of administration of DXM, they simply don't exist that I know of. I did hear something about someone that allegedly plugged it, but that may have been just a rumor I don't know? Who knows. Either way, you won't catch me sticking a bottle of cough syrup up my butt anytime soon, and it's probably potentially very dangerous though I can't say that for a fact. As for what people actually are doing all the time, which is DRINKING it, I doubt this law will do a whole heck of a lot to stop kids from drinking cough syrup. They'll still find ways of getting it. Plus, not all the people that use DXM are underage. I've used it on an occasion while I was over 18, and I still wouldn't be averse to doing it despite having access to other stuff. DXM isn't just a drug used by underage people, it's used by plenty of folks of all ages. Not saying it's a good drug because it's not, but it's not just something high school kids do. When I was in college, I knew plenty of people who loved the stuff despite having other options. So, it isn't like this will prevent people from taking DXM to trip. Even though I say this, DXM is a pretty lame drug IMO..... though I'm sure I might get some disagreement on that.

Last edited:
^i don't think you would get many ppl disagreeing with that...Dxm is mad dirty. I was in bad dope wd and needed to just make it a few hours til I could get a ride to see my dude. I took 2 big swigs and it allll came right back up lol...Now if I smell cherry Robitussin I want to puke.

i live in florida....DXM cough syrup has been 18+ since i started doing dxm about 7 years ago. perhaps it was a store-specific policy. but a warning always goes off on the registers when they ring it up and they check IDs if you look young.

I'm in Michigan and every time I buy delsym the clerk always wants to see my ID. The self scans also ask for ID when you scan cough syrup.

Someone told me that he caught his kid smoking cough syrup. Don't understand how they do that.

I've heard of ppl dipping blunts in codeine cough syrup, I guess they have to dry it first? Dumbest thing I've seen lately....I'd bet the thing wouldn't burn right or it would all go up in flames.