Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

NEW DXM Extraction Method! Read for Info & Comment

ImmortalT

Greenlighter
Hello,

I know many of you love the "Agent Lemon" or 'Dual Phase Acid-Base" extraction methods, but why have so many steps and potential contamination? Why not keep it as simple as possible with the least amount of variables and the highest yield..

After reading the whole DXM faq, searching many threads on here & elsewhere an idea came to my head, "DXM Extraction by centrifugation". MODS move this to appropriate section if required.

So according to the dxm faq :
If you want to use the precipitation method, all you have to do is add sodium hydroxide to the cough formula as described above, until the DXM precipitates out. Let it stand (or centrifuge it), and filter. The (very fine) powder that hopefully was caught by the filter paper is the DXM free base.

This is my proposed (and untested) new and improved method (I would like some help in some aspects, please comment)

The Materials:

-DXM-containing cough syrup. (30mg/10ml HBr 200ML Robo I'd use)
=Sodium Hydroxide (NAOH) (I have Pure reagent grade granules)

The Equipment: (I know most wont have this)

=High Speed Centrifuge (Up to 5000RPM, Not the small tabletop ones!)
=50ml Plastic Tube with lid
=Beaker/Flask/Bottle able to hold at least 1L

Details

1. Transfer the syrup to a container of choice (1L minimum)

2. Add (5 grams?) of NaOH granules to the syrup and stir/shake until a milky/clody solution is formed and white precipiate is visible. Keep adding NAOH until precipiate is fully insoluble. (Ok this is where I need the community's help, does anyone know the approximate amount required to fully precipitate the DXM? Or is it simply make the solution reach ph14..?)

3. Pour a maximum of 50ml of this solution to the Plastic Tube and balance the centrifuge with another tube of 50mls water/etc.

4. Spin down at 2000 RPM for 5mins (Unsure of speed and time atm, 2000 @ 5mins might be sufficient)

5. A tiny pellet should be visible, discard the supernatant by any means (Aspiration preffered) and repeat steps 3&4 until no solution is left, you should notice the pellet getting larger each time as more DXM is being collected.

6. -Optional - Wash the pellet by 'mixing' it with 5mls or less of dH20 (Filtered water) to remove any lingering NaOH,etc and then spin down again to remove the water Solubility of DXM in water is 1.5 g/100 mL at 25 C so loss will be minimal.

7. Transfer the pellet (to a smaller tube/eppendorf) and dry by leaving it in the air or (If available) a heat block at 50-80C as Dextromethorphan's melting point is 122-124C. You could also leave in the same 50ml tube for no loss!

8. You should now have pure DXM Freebase powder, with minimal if any contaminants such as Naptha/Ammonia,etc. If you have a micro scale why not weigh the sample, for a 200ml bottle with 30mg/10ml, theoretically 600mg but perhaps 550mg+ due to some loss.

As this is untestested, a few things come to mind which ill cover here.

1. Spin down pure syrup and see if any pellet forms.
2. Spin a concentrated aqueous solution of NAOH and see if any pellet forms.

If both of these show no pellet, we can be quite assured the only compound in the pellet when performing the actual extraction is in fact only DXM!

If anyone has performed something similar/has any comments/suggestions whatsoever PLEASE comment so this method can be perfected =)

Last edited:
Fishing fine particulates out of a propylene glycol/water/etc sludge is going to be really really fun. There's a reason Agent Lemon is so popular.

Fishing fine particulates out of a propylene glycol/water/etc sludge is going to be really really fun. There's a reason Agent Lemon is so popular.

Are you implying that the centrifugation will collect a 'sludge pellet' comprising propelyne glycol/water/etc...if so there is no 'fishing' required!

As written in the acid base dual phase extraction method:

If your baking dish is covered with an oily substance (goo, gunk, whatever), you in all likelihood managed to extract some propylene glycol (or something else) along with the DXM. Blow hot air from the hair dryer onto the surface of the dish until the material dries completely (this may take 5 to 10 minutes). This should evaporate the propylene glycol, leaving behind only DXM.

Same goes with the water, simply evaporated from the tube. Besides Propelyne Glyocol has very low toxicity and you would easily consume more if drinking the syrup straight...

The advantages this has over Agent Lemon include;

-Theoretically higher yeilds as you're not constantly having to transfer and dissolve the DXM in other solvents, and it is kept in 1 tube the whole time.
-Less steps and less variability between each extraction since there is no need for lighter fluid, ammonia, separations...
-Much quicker as there is no need to wait for 'layers to seperate'.
-Can process a large quantity of syrup very easily, you are only limited to how big your tube is (50ml), however if you used multiple tubes many times a litre of syrup could be extracted in < 30mins...

Agent lemon is so popular because anyone can do it. This method is great, but most kitchen chemists don't have such machinery.

Right, instead of buying all this shit, attempting something I've never done I'd rather just buy some pure powder dxm. Lol

Right, instead of buying all this shit, attempting something I've never done I'd rather just buy some pure powder dxm. Lol

Firstly, I didnt write this up as a "substitute" or "replacement" for all DXM extractions in general. I had hoped to recieve constructive feedback regarding the method/procedure, not what extractions work best for you or how easy it is for you to get DXM powder...I realise MOST will not have access to such equipment. In particular I want to know approximate amount of base required to precipitate the DXM from the syrup.

The main demographic for DXM users seems to be underage; <18 years old, so I guess I was naive in thinking there would be a small proportion of people working in a laboratory environment that could have access to such equipment. On the other hand, most DXM users are probably still at school unemployed...If that comes as harsh, I am only being realistic ;)

MODS: Please move this thread to Advanced Drug Discussion where I think it will be more fruitful.

Is there any thing I can use besides lye or sodium hydroxide? I apoligize im fairly new to this. Its just that sodium hydroxide isent available to me.

sodium carbonate or potassium carbonate or ammonium hydroxide (aqueous ammonia)

2. Add (5 grams?) of NaOH granules to the syrup and stir/shake until a milky/clody solution is formed and white precipiate is visible. Keep adding NAOH until precipiate is fully insoluble. (Ok this is where I need the community's help, does anyone know the approximate amount required to fully precipitate the DXM? Or is it simply make the solution reach ph14..?)

I was wondering about this myself recently, specifically why the DXM FAQ says to use about a tablespoon of NaOH but for extracting mescaline (or say dmt) the tek will say to use a few hundred grams. I'm not sure I fully understand where you're trying to achieve a certain pH and where you're just using enough to react fully. Or what the difference is between the extractions. But where this dxm extraction is concerned, I figured you would just say that one mole of NaOH reacts with one mole of dxm HBr (forming dxm freebase and NaBr?) and do the math accordingly to know what mass of NaOH to use.

I still feel like I could use some clarification on the above issue though. Like what's the difference between the extractions that one uses so little lye and one uses so much. If anyone could help me understand better I'd appreciate it.

To the OP, don't know if you'll even see this but I think the centrifuge idea, despite most people not having the tools, was still a good one. I get your point anyway.