• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pharmacology NEW DESIGNER CLONAZAPAM/ "Clonitrazolam" AT CVS BY ADVAGEN GENERICS NO MORE TEVA HERE!

This thread contains discussion about a Pharmacology-related topic

PharmaTrain

Bluelighter
So we all know not all generics are equal. I have tried all Clonazapam generics and even brand name. The Teva brand always worked best for me and lasted the longest besides Brand name. Now without notice CVS has switched manufacturers to Advagen Pharmaceuticals (Indian) company. So since I had these once before, I excepted them due to the new rules that I would have to contact the doctor to write a new script saying "dispense Teva brand only". This is when I ran out keep in mind. Now I researched into the chemical composition of this type of Clonazapam and to my surprise it's a new designer drug made differently besides inactive ingredients. Lets take a look at the difference in these 2 generics:

DESCRIPTION​

Clonazepam Tablets, USP, a benzodiazepine, is available as scored tablet with debossing Λ containing 0.5 mg of clonazepam and unscored tablets with debossing Λ and Λ containing 1 mg or 2 mg of clonazepam respectively. Each tablet also contains lactose monohydrate, polyethylene 66 67 69
glycol, microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium and magnesium stearate, with the following colourants: 0.5 mg-FD & C Yellow 6 Al Lake, D & C Yellow 10 Al Lake; 1 mg-FD & C Blue 1 Al lake and FD & C Blue 2 Al lake

Chemically, clonazepam is 5-(2-chlorophenyl)-1,3-dihydro-7-nitro- 2H -1,4-benzodiazepin-2-one. It is a light yellow crystalline powder. It has a molecular weight of 315.72 and the following structural formula:
That was Alvagen. Now look at the 5 formulas Chemically:
This shows that the name on the bottle called Clonazepam is not what were used to with Teva chemically speaking but a crude cheap novel designer knock off without proper testing backed by trials long term on humans. One the first link you'll see the 5 formulas and the 2 which have been on the books since 1971. The other 3 are applied patents pending. Now look at the Teva generic formula:

DESCRIPTION​

Each tablet, for oral administration, contains 0.5 mg, 1 mg, or 2 mg of clonazepam USP, a benzodiazepine. Each tablet also contains corn starch, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, and povidone. Clonazepam tablets USP, 0.5 mg contain Yellow D&C No. 10 Aluminum Lake. Clonazepam tablets USP, 1 mg contain Yellow D&C No. 10 Aluminum Lake, as well as FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake.

Chemically, clonazepam, USP is 5-(o -chlorophenyl)-1,3-dihydro-7-nitro-2H -1,4-benzodiazepin-2-one. It is a light yellow crystalline powder.
IF you have looked at the 2 formulas and used the links provided , you'll see the difference and the risks of these new untested designer drugs using research chemicals and saying it's Clonazepam when it should be labeled "Clonitrazolam". Your pharmacist won't tell you this even if they know. They are putting sneaky Pete in our meds without notice. On Reddit concerning this Advagen clonazepam most people hate it due to lack of potency and they say it doesn't last. I took 1 tablet to see and it was strong at first but dropped off quickly. It lingers but not like the Teva's.
Since these pharmacies are keeping patients in the dark like CVS , I'm going to get the brand name Clonazepam which is the same formula since 1971. This is why going with the brand name is more trusted than these generic companies. Also no more CVS. They have pulled this swiching of preferred generics too many times. I undershand there are shortages but not the TEVA Clonazepam 1 or 2 mg tablets. If we can't trust a pharmacy to be honest we should not be taking anything from them. If they are ignorant of what's going on they shoulf not have that job. We need to hold these places accountable especially at the local level. THIS IS WHERE CHANGE STARTS. I TELL YOU THE TRUTH.

I don't see a difference between the chemicals you posted, I believe the "o" is for ortho which designates a position on the ring, which may be the 2 position

I'm not quite sure how you are making the inference that the Advagen pills contain clonazolam (aka clonitriazolam).

The rhodium link shows that clonazepam is a precursor in the synthesis of clonazolam, but I am unsure of why you think they are in the Advagen pills. Due to the additional steps for synthesis, clonazolam will be more costly per mg. As it is more potent, I am not sure if industrial production of the finished product would be cheaper than clonazepam in a per-dose manner.

Clonazolam is also much more potent then clonazepam. I am not into benzos myself, but from what I have heard, the two feel rather different (anybody experienced please chime in though).

Generics can often feel different due to different forumulations of inactive ingredients, but it would be extremely surprising (aka near unheard of) for a generic drug to simply use a different compound. Generic drug manufacturers still go through regulatory approval, and this kind of thing would get them shut down. I do not think that clonazolam's cost per dose is low enough compared to clonazepam to justify the potential financial risk of getting caught swapping these.
If you were buying clandestinely pressed pills however, they could easily not have what they say is in them.

Did you see the part in your own link that said clonitrazepam is whatever "6-(2-chlorophenyl)-1-methyl-8-nitro- 4H-s-triazolo(4,3-a)-(1,4)-benzodiazepine" is? To me, that looks very different from the two near-identical ones you posted for the clonazepam generics, and in multiple places. The numbers literally at the start are different. Where's the "methyl" part? Where's the entire triazolo bit? Clonazolam/clonitrazepam kinda requires that, being a triazolobenzo, no? Neither of your generics look similar to this.

The pharmacy is not going to give you RCs unless some pharmacy staff straight up swapped the pills out to illegally pocket something (which seems like a completely different scenario from what you're claiming). It's actually probably cheaper for them to just give you real clonazepam tbh. If it's not working as well for you it's either you tricking yourself into thinking it won't work, or your body just doesn't process that particular generic's filler ingredients as well.

Last edited:
All of you make great points and myself not an expert in chemical engineering, I see where I went wrong. Thank you for showing me my error. It must be the inactive ingredients in the Advagen generic clonazepam. I'm so used to the Teva's and it's formulation besides my sensitivity to some chemicals, my anger ran deep in the treatment of these new techs at the pharmacy. They could've serviced me better but since their treatment I will be switching to another pharmacy. Thanks again all of you.

shit i thought C-lam was comin onto the market for a second and had mixed feelings. The first of which 'who tf is writing that and how'

I read somewhere, that Xanax costs 4 cents a piece to make them. Not sure the strenght.
I hate CVS. They tried to make me go there, and they don't carry my particular pain killer. So I had to find another pharmacy.

I read somewhere, that Xanax costs 4 cents a piece to make them. Not sure the strenght.
I hate CVS. They tried to make me go there, and they don't carry my particular pain killer. So I had to find another pharmacy.
0.04 cents to be exact per pill. This is for 1 , 2mg Clonazepam Teva. Than the pharmacy charges $46.84 for 60 tablets. They only pay 2.4 dollars for 60. This makes me sick.

All of you make great points and myself not an expert in chemical engineering, I see where I went wrong. Thank you for showing me my error. It must be the inactive ingredients in the Advagen generic clonazepam. I'm so used to the Teva's and it's formulation besides my sensitivity to some chemicals, my anger ran deep in the treatment of these new techs at the pharmacy. They could've serviced me better but since their treatment I will be switching to another pharmacy. Thanks again all of you.
Be nice to pharmacy techs...that job fucking suuuucks

0.04 cents to be exact per pill. This is for 1 , 2mg Clonazepam Teva. Than the pharmacy charges $46.84 for 60 tablets. They only pay 2.4 dollars for 60. This makes me sick.
That is to make Xanax in bulk. Not sure what pharmacies pay, or if there is a difference in price between different generics, but there is a hugh profit margin on certain drugs. See if they take the Good RX card.