• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Climate For Drug Sentencing, Guidelines Expected To Change

nsa said:
Why not then have a clear path for citizens to be able to introduce their own legislation to be voted on by the population. As this seems to have had positive consequences in Colorado they may then end up changing the country and the world for the better this seems like it may be a good idea, despite how unrealistic it may seem.

Just like a petition, on a proposed bill of legislation, with a certain number of verifiable signatures and the matter is put to a vote the next time the country has an election?

So, institute initiatives at a federal level? That seems like a legit option that would attract a substantial following.

Personally I'd be against it: I think the purpose of our States is to allow a majority of citizens in a specific area, populated by persons with close cultural/economic ties,* to shape their state's laws as they see fit (whether directly or via representative). In terms of social policy, we get stuff like legalizing cannabis on the one hand, and outlawing gay marriage on the other. I think this sorta progressive-reactionary scale works great when you have the option to move to a more hospitable climate, but extending the ballot initiative to the federal level threatens to have a lot more 50%-40% splits, creating great partisan rancor. Not sure how other areas would be affected, and feel unqualified to speculate.

I might be called a mobocracy fearing fuddy-duddy, and an antiquated state's rights type. I dunno, as I age, I increasingly focus on how the best intentions go awry.

*Comparatively speaking. Odds are two random Texans are gonna have more in common than a random Texan and a random Vermontian, or so I figure.

Last edited: