• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

neurotransmitters and opiate withdrawals

Chasityc82

Greenlighter
Does taking specific supplements to increase our neurotransmitters (seratonin, dopamine,etc.) Shorten the duration and/or lessen the severity of withdrawals?

I've found them helpful in the phase after acute WDs... During the thick of it don't expect amino acids to perform miracles.

The only case where taking the building blocks of neurotransmitters will really help is essentially 5-HTP concerning MDMA abuse. Anything else is hocus pocus.

Does taking specific supplements to increase our neurotransmitters (seratonin, dopamine,etc.) Shorten the duration and/or lessen the severity of withdrawals?

As for increasing the neurotransmitter sensitivity as well as increasing the out-put of Dopamine, Serotonin, Norepinephren etc.

-500mg 5-htp first thing in the morning (1 WEEK MAX)
-500mg L-DOPA 30 mins before sleep
(1 WEEK MAX)
(Dont take 5-htp and L-DOPA at the same time, they will cancel each other out)
-5-10mg melatonin before sleep
-1000mg CoQ-10 spread evenly though the day.
-500mg Omega 3 fatty-acids
-Taking in your own daily needs of BCAAs
-750mg L-Tryptophan in the morning. (only after ending use of 5-htp)
-750mg L-Tyrosine before sleep
(Only after ending use of L-DOPA)
-Taking an probiotic supplement will help alot too.
-Focusing on proper nutrion and getting in your personal daily need of calories, carbs, protein, and fat is the most effective and important thing you can do.
L-DOPA is the final step precursor to dopamine and 5-htp is the final step precursor to serotonin so they are good as a quick store up of the needed neuro-chemicals but using it for any longer than a week will cause your body to stop it own production/conversion because it is recieving it from a new source.

What about phenylalanine or tyrosine, for the amphetamine side?

As for increasing the neurotransmitter sensitivity as well as increasing the out-put of Dopamine, Serotonin, Norepinephren etc.

(1 WEEK MAX)
-Focusing on proper nutrion and getting in your personal daily need of calories, carbs, protein, and fat is the most effective and important thing you can do.
L-DOPA is the final step precursor to dopamine and 5-htp is the final step precursor to serotonin so they are good as a quick store up of the needed neuro-chemicals but using it for any longer than a week will cause your body to stop it own production/conversion because it is recieving it from a new source.
I actually started these supplements for amphetamine use but it is still very valid in the OPs intentions. You dont want to add extra phenylalanine espesually for amphetamine use/recovery, it is used as a natural stimulant in your brain (along with several over functions) so adding extra stimulation and replacing the bodys natural chemicals should be avoided.

(1 WEEK MAX)

This feels like a bb.com or anabolicminds post lol. I have to say all the things I learned from years of working out (and living/dieting correctly) do offer help in my cyclical recoveries from drugs, as ironic as that may sound.

Some portion of the tyrosine will convert, or eventually convert to l-dopa I believe? In which case supplementing tyrosine would be an even further step down as if weening off the l-dopa? While still benefiting from imcreased dopamine production?

I take a ZMA supplement with mucana pruriens which is (some)% l-dopa and I always loved it, especially during recovery.

This feels like a bb.com or anabolicminds post lol. I have to say all the things I learned from years of working out (and living/dieting correctly) do offer help in my cyclical recoveries from drugs, as ironic as that may sound.

Some portion of the tyrosine will convert, or eventually convert to l-dopa I believe? In which case supplementing tyrosine would be an even further step down as if weening off the l-dopa? While still benefiting from imcreased dopamine production?

I take a ZMA supplement with mucana pruriens which is (some)% l-dopa and I always loved it, especially during recovery.

Thats what i was thinking tok when i posted it lol. Same with me when it comes to the bodybuilding/"health nut" life style. I believe it is the best armor against occasional drug use (with respect to recovering after use and over all damage control).

Refering to the middle portion of your comment, im not really understanding what the question is, but to elaborate on my recommendation of use pertaining to L-Tyrosine and L-DOPA; Tyrosine is the very beggining first step precursor to dopamine (among other things but a majority goes to dopamine). It has to go though several different chemical conversions in your body before becoming dopamine but it is how your body naturally creates it and the tyrosine conversion process is how the absolute majority of your dopamine is in your body in the first place.
L-DOPA is the absolute final step precursor that 99% of the time is only created in the body though the tyrosine conversion because there is very little L-DOPA in foods we eat. If you suppliment with L-DOPA for too long, your body starts to notice that it is already being supplied with the final step precursor and therefor has no need to keep converting l-tyrosine because why would it continue to work for what it already has. A good similar example of this is when bodybuilders take testosterone injections so there own natural testosterone shuts down to compensate for the new source.
To summerize, L-DOPA has its benefits and uses for supplementation when used properly but over use will leave you with a depletion of dopamine after L-DOPA use has stopped. L-Tyrosine is naturally utilized every day for dopamine as well as a few other biochemical, CNS, and neurological uses.