• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Neurotoxicity & Amphetamines

bipolar-sunshine

Bluelighter
I've been prescribed 60mg Vyvanse and 20mg Adderall for the past few months, (3 ish) and I was wondering if I should worry about any rebound effects from the stims as I abuse them (vyvanse-take up to 3 pills a day, adderall-snort 3-6 pills a day until I run out for the month.)

I have bipolar depression, and I may be self medicating here, which I've done before in the past with a nasty oxy addiction and occasional cocaine binge. But I was just mainly wondering about my mental health while on the stims and whenever (if ever,) I come off of them.

I've been reading up recently about how stims can cause neurotoxicity and I wasn't aware of it really too much before so now I might be a little paranoid about it.

Does anyone have any input? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I mean I had a little coke issue but then I tripped with some friends and afterwards didnt feel the need to do coke as much as before.

And if you're doing using prescription drugs there may be studies done about long term use. This is a pretty big issue with how people treat ADHD or ADD I feel. You're prescribed to them for so long you can start to abuse them because of tolerance and the doctors give you more to cope without any solid long term data going on even if they say they're "safe".

Vyvanse and Adderall, and Dexedrine are not neurotoxic. Methamphetamine is, even at low doses.

Can you stop abusing your meds, and if you're not on meds for being bipolar look into them or at least talk to a therapist or Psychiatrist. Good luck, and stay safe.

From what I read amphetamines are unhealthy. They cause damaged to dopamine transporters if I remember it correctly.
They tested this on apes.

Heck, I even read that ritalin causes oxidates stress! If ritalin does this then amphetamines will do the same.

I really don't think that amphetamines are healthy or unproblematic.

That's the way I feel. I'm just worried about my mental health for the future. Since I'm depressed, the last thing I need is to lose any dopamine transporters.

Yes this is scary.

I just opened a thread today about amphetamines being linked to parkinson's!

I wonder if the supposed safety of ADHD stims is a lie. Maybe doctors and scientists which
are infiliated with pharma companies aren't really telling the truth and they know that stims
even in therapeutic doses are harmful.

as long as you take care of yourself (resting, eating, etc) you don't have to worry about neurotoxicity too much.

Yes this is scary.

I just opened a thread today about amphetamines being linked to parkinson's!

I wonder if the supposed safety of ADHD stims is a lie. Maybe doctors and scientists which
are infiliated with pharma companies aren't really telling the truth and they know that stims
even in therapeutic doses are harmful.
Would you stop amphetamines if it said you will 100% get Parkinson's at old age? When you're 70 something ?

I don't know.

It's like with smoking. Smoking is unhealthy but it's not possible to tell what happens to a person at age 70 years if she smokes from age 25-30.

I don't plan to take amphetamines forever. At a certain age you also can't even take them anymore. People with heart diseases can't take them. This means
once you're old enough for a heart diseases amphetamines are no longer an option.

But I think I'll switch to methylphenidate again it just seems safer to me
and I really don't feel like the difference to amphetamines is so huge that it justifies taking amphetamines instead.