• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Nerve Pain

apocalypse_when

Bluelighter
Anyone have any suggestions for alleviating neuropathic pain? I've got a stretched and partially torn brachial plexus and it hurts like a motherfucker.

Already on 300mg pregabalin bds and have amitriptyline (which does nothing).. any suggestions?

I should add that I'm also on 200mg morphine per day for my discitis (the most painful thing ive ever gone through and that includes being shot) but opioids dont help with neuropathy.

The cold weather here in the UK makes it even worse. My entire right arm is numb but burning at the same time (if that makes sense) and I've lost almost all movement in my right arm and hand. I'm determined to do what I can to get it back but the combination of that, the discitis plus all the damage to my left leg (shattered foot, torn achilles and torn nerve rendering the foot unable to move at all) is making things tough.. but I never, ever give up... The pain is rather extreme though.

Are you on any anti-inflammatory meds? Good whack of NSAIDs. Sometimes additional muscle or other problems in that area can contribute to neuropathic pain. Good steroid course. Autoimmune eval.

I had/have thoracic outlet syndrome, definitely know numbness yet warmth with that fun shooting/stinging zap pain. Asymmetrical sounds like time for another EMG/ortho evaluation to pinpoint actionable causes neurological vs say vascular vs CPRS or compartment.

Could be dose of amitriptyline, could try desipramine or switch to the SNRI duloxetine, even venlafaxine has some evidence. [There are serotonergic variants in some familial neuropathies, amongst others...]
Good recent paper, open access
Doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2019.09.018.

Ketamine can be tricky to get.

Various anticonvulsants/sodium channel blockers [compared to your pregabalin / calcium] often can be tried, definitely have side effects.

Agmatine, ALA, and Acetyl-l-carnitine are supplements I've tried, but I can't say how much they have done, and I had other reasons for trying them. Nutrition / vitamins. Same with some random stuff like lion's mane mushroom (could exacerbate) and ginkgo. Many possible interactions / unclear evidence.

Hope you can find some people and some things that help!