• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Nerve Pain Management question

SleepyF

Greenlighter
How well will 30mg Morphine Extended Release work for nerve pain on top of 60mg Methadone + 1mg Klonopin?

The nerve pain is in the left side of my mouth/jaw/head. I have always taken care of my teeth but since being on methadone, almost all of my back teeth have began decaying like they want to come out. Does this have something to do with Methadone interfering with Calcium/Magnesium channels at the NMDA receptor?

I'm certainly no expert, but have been told that Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Pregabalin (Lyrica) are best for nerve pain. However, I personally would consult my dentist before losing my teeth. The pain could be a result of nerve exposure through "decaying" teeth.

That 60mg of methadone will mostly overpower 30mg of morphine, as morphine has a notoriously low bioavailability, and so u aren't even gonna be getting 10mg of that 30mg into your CNS. Gabapentin or pregabalin are much better for neurological type pain. Look into brand name neurontin or lyrics. Hope you get the relief you need soon!

Thank you. Personally, I cannot deal with the side effects of neurontin + lyrica. That's why I'm taking klonopin bcuz it's one benzo that treats nerve pain. And you're right about the low oral bioavailability of morphine so I just took 60 more mgs.