Needle suggestions

MGHero

Greenlighter
Ive been using a 23gage needle since ive been on gear. It ussually makes my injection site tender for a few days. Any suggestions on what other size needles i should use to mitigate this or what your preference is?

Where are you pinning? For 1.5" long needles a 23g is generally the only size I can push oil through. For 1" go with 25g and anything shorter in length go for 27g or insulin syringes. That way you don't feel like you're gonna break the plunger pushing so hard and dont wiggle the needle so much.

I pin the shoulder and leg. My leg doesnt stay tender for long but my should does for about 4 days.

Shoulder is a small muscle so some pain or soreness is expected. How much oil volume are you putting in it? I never go above 1cc in shoulders. Also I'd recommend for shoulders using a 25g 1" needle or 27g 5/8" needle to ease the soreness a bit. Pin before bed as well, helps me out.

Ive been doing 1.7cc. Im doing a mix so ive been combining the amounts in one shot as to avoid multiple

Also, where in the thigh do you suggest pinning? Ive heard many different spots and would appreciate an expert opinion. Include a diagram if possible

Half way down the outside of your thigh. Kinda hard to mess up

Half way down the outside of your thigh. Kinda hard to mess up

Actually, not that hard to mess up, and with potentially dangerous consequences.
There is a reason this is not the first site used medically. Arteries and nerves here.

The best site in terms of your comfort is the glute as it is the biggest muscle but that can be hard to yourself without practice.

The deltoid is as has been stated smaller and can take less fluid, although 1-2mL should be fine, oil will be more painful though.

Also, if you are doing it yourself you may be doing it at a funny angle which won't help.

Always Z track.

Anything smaller than 23gx1" is not really suitable for i.m. injection especialy of viscous solutions.

23gx1" for the delt, 23gx1.5" for glute and vastus depending on size.

^^^but also in medical setting most people aren't doing daily or even weekly injections of oil. This poses the risk of scar tissue and closing sites due to excessive scar tissue. This is why I recommended the sizes I did, for comfort and minimize scar tissue. Remember, a standard ear piercing is a 22g needle for comparison. We can agree to disagree, I'm just going with my hands on experience with what works best for me.

25g actually should be fine but with oil it may be difficult, I have seen (this in a medical setting) various issues with clogging
short needles, however, depending on your body size may end up subq instead of i.m. which can significantly alter absorption

I would never advise a 23G needle for IM although it is generally the standard in the non-AAS community... it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. In bodybuilding circles 25G is pretty standard. Personally I prefer a 26G for lower body sites. I sometimes found a 27G to be a little difficult if it was passing through some scar tissue, but for delts, traps and bis/tris it's usually fine, albeit a little slow. Generally though the smaller the better.

As for sites, it's quite a personal choice. I rarely advise glutes because, although there may be fewer nerves, you have less control reaching around back there (especially when you're pretty muscular) and are more likely to cause severe tissue trauma with all the moving around - especially if using a larger needle.

Check out spotinjections.com for some generally recommended sites, including quads. Ventrogluteal is also popular, although not mentioned on that site.

As stated 25G X 1" should be fine as opposed to 23G which can over the years be responsible for scar tissue especially if pinning ED even if rotating sites...