• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Need the Right Drug for Anxiety

S

ssxoxo

I'm looking for the right drug to take for anxiety not a long term thing, I just have an interview and I need to chill out. I don't want Xanax because I've heard it's too strong, and obviously I need to seem normal but just be more chill.

I'm a total noob to drugs, I have no tolerance what-so-ever and have never done them. So the more info (how much to take, side effects, how long will it take to work, etc.) would be great, thanks! **also nothing addictive please**

Instead of relying on drugs as you said you do not want to take anything addictive as Benzos are, and you do not want Xanax which is a benzo, just get into meditation and breathing exercises and realize you're doing the best you can while you're being interviewed. Or maybe drink some green tea before your interview? It has L-Theanine which can relax people. Good luck.

Do not drink beer or any alcohol before the interview they will smell it on you, and you won't get the job or another interview.

Last edited:
maybe some kava would be more beneficial for you or an herbal route even a cup of tea of chamomile
hell even a beer followed by a shit ton of mouth wash
if you've never taken drugs or a big noob i would highly suggest to stay that way

xanax has a bad rep due to all the people who abuse it, its potent yes thats correct but in high doses
its actually quite safe if you take the right dose
it will relax and calm you down, thats what its for, all while still being coherent and fully functional
higher does is where you become sloppy .75mg-1mg and up
since you say its just for an interview a .25mg dose(starter dose for the majority of people) might be the answer, as it kicks in fast within mins and leaves pretty fast maybe an hour or 2

I like Ativan's effects. For me at 0.5 mg it doesnt cause sedation or slow thinking but takes away any unneeded anxiety.

Something like a job interview is actually a situation in which I feel that a VERY LOW DOSE benzodiazepine would be appropriate.

Although benzodiazepines can be tricky to dose in such situations where you know you'll experience some normal stress/anxiety, like a first date, an important test, or a job interview, because some level of mental acuity is needed in such situation and benzodiazepine tranquilizers can sabotage that (i.e. you'll be staring at whoever it is you're trying to impress with glassy eyes and a I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude).

I'm looking for the right drug to take for anxiety not a long term thing, I just have an interview and I need to chill out. I don't want Xanax because I've heard it's too strong, and obviously I need to seem normal but just be more chill.

I'm a total noob to drugs, I have no tolerance what-so-ever and have never done them. So the more info (how much to take, side effects, how long will it take to work, etc.) would be great, thanks! **also nothing addictive please**

You Dont need a crutch man just do the interview. You start with the interview then you need it for a presentation etc etc. Do it sober you don't need to rely on an anti axiety medication for an interview, unless you have severe anxiety stay away. Dont obsess on and just do it it will be more rewarding when u get the job.

Is it me or does it seem like the younger generation relies on a crutch for everything. When I was growing up and got out of the military with fucking severe PTSD I hid it for so long and still made it through my jobs all my interviews and presentation because when I was in my high school and college years I knew nothing of Anti anxiety meds it was either do it or fail. It was when I stared taking Klonopin I then couldn't do that kind of shit without taking a pill.

I think I like those alternatives a lot better. Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely try them out! I don't think i'm ready to get into any drugs anyways.

Thank you for the tea suggestion, I think that's a better way for me to go rather than any drug. You're right I should probably stay a noob. (I also appreciate the Xanax info)

It's a little bit more complicated than just an interview and some anxiety, but I do understand where you are coming from and i'm sorry if i've offended you. The idea to use Xanax or something else only came up because I was offered some by a friend, and I didn't want to use any till I knew more about it/alternatives. Had that opportunity not been there I probably wouldn't have thought to take drugs (i've always been afraid of additction). However, I like the herbal tea or meditation approach as suggested by other users more than going straight to drugs. Thank you for your input!

Is it me or does it seem like the younger generation relies on a crutch for everything. When I was growing up and got out of the military with fucking severe PTSD I hid it for so long and still made it through my jobs all my interviews and presentation because when I was in my high school and college years I knew nothing of Anti anxiety meds it was either do it or fail. It was when I stared taking Klonopin I then couldn't do that kind of shit without taking a pill.

It's not just you. As a junior in college almost half of my friends are on one medication or several. The abuse of ADHD medication for recreational and study uses is increasing exponentially. Also, since i started college I've seen the popularity of "Xanax" increases ten fold, and the really bad thing is that most of these recreational users don't know how harmful it can be to "pop 2 bars" every weekend or mixing it with alcohol.

I can honestly say that 70-75% of the college age students in my generation (aka younger generation) relies on one substance or another daily to get through life, whether it be nicotine, pot, benzos, opiates, alcohol, or a cock tail of any the above. I find it extremely sad that todays younger generation lack the ability to cope with situations or things that our parents dealt with, except they didn't rely on a crutch every step of the way

It's not just you. As a junior in college almost half of my friends are on one medication or several. The abuse of ADHD medication for recreational and study uses is increasing exponentially. Also, since i started college I've seen the popularity of "Xanax" increases ten fold, and the really bad thing is that most of these recreational users don't know how harmful it can be to "pop 2 bars" every weekend or mixing it with alcohol.

I can honestly say that 70-75% of the college age students in my generation (aka younger generation) relies on one substance or another daily to get through life, whether it be nicotine, pot, benzos, opiates, alcohol, or a cock tail of any the above. I find it extremely sad that todays younger generation lack the ability to cope with situations or things that our parents dealt with, except they didn't rely on a crutch every step of the way

Thanks for the reply Mike. It is sad, and I didn't mean for the post to be critical the younger generation. I am not that old only 43. I do have some younger friends who are in college and are on all kinds of meds and one of the most intelligent of the bunch some how ended up on Lithium. I knew this kid for years and after 2 years of college he is walking around totally transformed. I spoke to him about his symptoms and his life in general and it seems he is way over medicated. I know I am not a psychiatrist but it just seemed excessive.

It scary because when your young you sometimes think your invincible especially when alcohol is involved and next thing you know your trying to show off and wind up dead.

Stay safe Mike

Maybe a beta blocker? It will ease the physical signs of nervousness such as sweaty palms, rapid heart rate etc.. but will do little for what's going on in your head.

My advice is do it without drug assistance. Much more rewarding and you can actually grow from experiences.

Thanks for the reply Mike. It is sad, and I didn't mean for the post to be critical the younger generation. I am not that old only 43. I do have some younger friends who are in college and are on all kinds of meds and one of the most intelligent of the bunch some how ended up on Lithium. I knew this kid for years and after 2 years of college he is walking around totally transformed. I spoke to him about his symptoms and his life in general and it seems he is way over medicated. I know I am not a psychiatrist but it just seemed excessive.

It scary because when your young you sometimes think your invincible especially when alcohol is involved and next thing you know your trying to show off and wind up dead.

Stay safe Mike

I agree with you about that kid whom after 2 years of college was dosed up on lithium. I think my generation has the tendency to exaggerate symptoms slightly and thus is prescribe some type of SSRI or AAP. Like you said, I am not a psychiatrist either, but I believe there are too many psychiatrist out there delving out Rx's and poly-pharmacy is normal now. In a way, i feel like us college students are experiencing stress, just as you must have had when you were in college, but todays society is so different from when your generation was in college. Todays students experiencing stress now have access to mental health resources and are encouraged to seek help. This is good, but what is happening is that students are now believing that their stress is a mental illness, not your fault, and can be treated, and thus have no problem taking antidepressants, benzos, or any other psychiatric drug under the sun if prescribed by a doctor. Sadly, many patients who are on medication are not nearly informed enough about what they are taking, why they are taking it, is it really necessary, it is effective, and mostly how the medication works & what class of medication they are taking. I blame this partly on the psychiatrist, because it is their responsibility to inform patient of potential side effects and how the drug acts, why you need it, etc. Yet it seems most have ceased doing this and instead just encourage their patients to read the medication pamphlet that comes when you pick up your medication(s) from the pharmacy, which list almost any and every side effect. I wonder how many people just completely disregard them and don't bother reading anything.

I'm telling you man, there is a growing minority of psychiatrist who really over medicate and iatrogenically harm hundreds of thousands. These are the same psychiatrists that blame their iatrogenesis (whether it be a result of misdiagnosis, over-medication, or irresponsible prescribing medications that are specifically approved for shot-term use only, or giving a patient an antipsychotic for sleep and not informing them that this medication is used in schizophrenics or about the horrible side effects they can cause) on the patient by telling them that their reemerging symptoms are not from cessation of some strong psychiatric medication, but is indicative that you are truly depressed, anxious, or whatever, and then convinces them to go back on the pill

I agree with you about that kid whom after 2 years of college was dosed up on lithium. I think my generation has the tendency to exaggerate symptoms slightly and thus is prescribe some type of SSRI or AAP. Like you said, I am not a psychiatrist either, but I believe there are too many psychiatrist out there delving out Rx's and poly-pharmacy is normal now. In a way, i feel like us college students are experiencing stress, just as you must have had when you were in college, but todays society is so different from when your generation was in college. Todays students experiencing stress now have access to mental health resources and are encouraged to seek help. This is good, but what is happening is that students are now believing that their stress is a mental illness, not your fault, and can be treated, and thus have no problem taking antidepressants, benzos, or any other psychiatric drug under the sun if prescribed by a doctor. Sadly, many patients who are on medication are not nearly informed enough about what they are taking, why they are taking it, is it really necessary, it is effective, and mostly how the medication works & what class of medication they are taking. I blame this partly on the psychiatrist, because it is their responsibility to inform patient of potential side effects and how the drug acts, why you need it, etc. Yet it seems most have ceased doing this and instead just encourage their patients to read the medication pamphlet that comes when you pick up your medication(s) from the pharmacy, which list almost any and every side effect. I wonder how many people just completely disregard them and don't bother reading anything.

I'm telling you man, there is a growing minority of psychiatrist who really over medicate and iatrogenically harm hundreds of thousands. These are the same psychiatrists that blame their iatrogenesis (whether it be a result of misdiagnosis, over-medication, or irresponsible prescribing medications that are specifically approved for shot-term use only, or giving a patient an antipsychotic for sleep and not informing them that this medication is used in schizophrenics or about the horrible side effects they can cause) on the patient by telling them that their reemerging symptoms are not from cessation of some strong psychiatric medication, but is indicative that you are truly depressed, anxious, or whatever, and then convinces them to go back on the pill

You are spot on. That is exactly what is happening as I have experienced first hand. My civilian PCP always tries to prescribe me or my wife some kind of antidepressant without us even mentioning we are having issues. He will start off asking if we have anxiety or he will ask us if we are feeling a little down lately, it's almost like he wants to push it on us and he's not even a psychiatrist. I am prescribed all my meds by the VA and he knows that and my wife would never touch a pill, she won't even take an Advil.

The saying ignorance is bliss is so relevant to this topic. I remember when I first got out of the military and I was experiencing panic attacks, anxiety, and just overall some pretty bad PTSD symptoms. I had no idea why I was feeling this way why my heart was pounding out of my chest I thought there was something wrong with me physically. I thought maybe I wasn't eating right or there is something wrong with my blood pressure etc..Nowadays everything you see on TV or see advertised is some kind of new medication for depression,anxiety, or Bi-polar. So what ends up happening is people start doing some research because they might have a symptom or two and then once they get on the Internet forget about it it's all over and then they think, like you said they have a serious mental illness. They then become panicked and it's off to the psychiatrist with a diagnosis of who the hell knows what.