• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Need some advice please on treatment

desurion

Greenlighter
Hi,

I am currently in a suboxone program, after being an oxy/heroin addict for over 7 years.

I have other posts about this if you want more history about me, but I am switching from suboxone to methadone (not looking for advice on this or people telling me not to do it, its my only other option)

The problem I am having is that unless I can provide proof that I've been an addict for over a year, their going to put me in a 90 day detox program. The first 30 days they get you on a stable dose, the other 60 they taper you off.

I KNOW this isnt going to work for me. By the time I'm halfway thru the taper ill be out using... I know me, I know my body, I'm NOT ready to come off maitenance within 90 days. My ex had the same problem... went to rehab last year for heroin, got into the detox program because she had no proof of addiction over 1 year, and it was horrific. She was in serious w/ds as soon as they started tapering her, and they do it 5mg at a time, for everybody according to their set schedule, no leeway based on your condition or how youre responding. She was using herion by the time she got down to 20mg, and her w/ds arent even as bad as mine and she is stronger with this mentally than I am.

I know this is going to be a problem. If you read my other posts, suboxone isnt working for me anymore. Its never been THAT great for me compared to other people, I was always always sick within 8-12 hours when everybody else is fine for 24+. Now its at the point where an hour after I dose, im sick. My doctor finally realizes how bad it is and is coordinating me thru the transfer. There are no other methadone clinics within driving distance that are by a different company, their all the same dispensary with the same policy. The only other one allows you to be in with a letter from a family member or somebody close to you notorized explaining that youve been an addict. Here it has to be a doctor or lawyer, neither of which there is any documentation of for me, but the issue is that they cant take me because of where Im located because there are other clinics closer to me and Im not in their "range", so I'm forced to go to this one... They also told me that a transfer to another once im in there may not be possible...

What do I do here? I cant be in a 90 day methadone detox, I know for a fact it wont work and itll be terrible for me. I cant stay on suboxone because its not working, and my doctor agrees so its not even a possibility. There are no other clinics around, their all owned by the same people except that one and they cant take me... How to I come up with some kind of doctors documentation saying that Ive been an addict for over a year?? Ive only been in treatment on suboxone for 4 months. My doctor knows that I have been a long term addict. You dont have somebody whos been an addict for less than a year come in for suboxone induction and feed them 6 2mg strips without them having any sort of high or personality change. If I was a short term user I'd have been high as a kite from that. Im on 16mg a day and its not even touching me... Its obvious that I was a long term user just by my symptoms, my w/ds, and my body handles these medications.

Is there anything at all that I can do??? I am completely out of options and this is going to wind up killing me, literally, if I use again... which will happen with a 90 day detox or no treatment at all. Please if anybody has any advice its very much appreciated. Im not sure if this is in the correct spot so im also posting it in TDS, if I'm incorrect mods please delete whichever is in the wrong spot (sorry)

Would your current bupe physician be able to vouch for you as if he/she were "someone" close to you. Seems to me being referred to MMT for maintenance would obligate the clinic to do so.

But I know how clinics can be, this proving your addition stuff is bullshit. So what if someone gets in with only a six month habit, it's better than moving to IV or continuing down that pathway.

I hope they get you on maintenance, you seem to know is the way for you, and likely it is.