Need opinions on testosterone levels. Are they low enough to warrant medication.

Speed King

Bluelighter
Hello BodyBluelighters. I am trying to be my own advocate and learn some basic understanding of my testosterone blood test results.

Quick overview. I'm a 37 yr old male, 6'1,290 lbs. Nine months ago, I finished chemotherapy for Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
I know I'm not 17 yrs old anymore, but I feel like I have been lacking in the testosterone department for some time. Even before the cancer I just didn't have the strength and energy a grown man should.

Anyway, to the test results.

Testosterone, on a lab range of 220-1000ng/dl, my number was 240ng/dl
Testosterone Free % on lab range of 0.5-3.2%, my number was 2.1%
Testosterone free on scale of 40-240pg/ml, my number was 49.5pg/ml

Can someone make heads or tails of this?
Thanks

your producing as much testosterone as a 12 year old cheer leader......you definatly have low T

what is your estrogen/estroidal number?

your def HYPO enough to warrant medication with injectable testosterone

I dont know much about the levels to be honest, but at the age of 37 you are most certainly qualified to get it.
In america they dont really even use the numbers there are still no real guidelines they just base it off opinions

your producing as much testosterone as a 12 year old cheer leader......you definatly have low T

what is your estrogen/estroidal number?

your def HYPO enough to warrant medication with injectable testosterone

I only have the general blood test info. I can call doctor office and find out.

I'm calling that doctor, and then his supervisor. I ask the motherfucker to special add on a testosterone level test for obliviously implied reasons. I go see him and he tells me cholesterol is a little up but otherwise fine. I had to ask him for a printout of test results.

I'm calling that doctor, and then his supervisor. I ask the motherfucker to special add on a testosterone level test for obliviously implied reasons. I go see him and he tells me cholesterol is a little up but otherwise fine. I had to ask him for a printout of test results.

thats cause of what i said above
unless something changed, in america "low t" is pretty much based on opinion

getting hrt is like going to get pain pills
some drs dont care some do

thats cause of what i said above
unless something changed, in america "low t" is pretty much based on opinion

getting hrt is like going to get pain pills
some drs dont care some do

Yes, your post helped, but I was concerned on my own. This is all new to me. After surviving cancer, I want to function optimally. That's why I'm jacked up about this.

Last edited:
Yes, you post helped, but I was concerned on my own.

ok well then you gotta switch drs
or find a source elsewhere

whichever is easier or safer for you
its my experience though that it shouldnt be too hard to find a dr - do you have any "wellness clinics" in your area?

Remember that the chemo did irreversible changes to your body including your endocrine system. Also there are tumors that can be accelerated or so fed by specific compounds such as androgen. I'll add to this when I get off work
Gratz on beating cancer!

^^ Thank you, much. I'm going to consider switching doctors, but I'm starting to realize a lot of these guys only know so much. NeighborMike made an excellent point about low T being based on opinion.
Maybe I should find a doctor that body builds.
Since I'm in remission, I hope I can safely take some testosterone. I'm interested to here you GrymReefer. Speaking of, I plan on maintaining a cannabis habit, that I just revisited, in the name of health, since its proven effects on cancer and improving human health in general.
No oncologist told me about changes in my endocrine system.

Last edited:
I talked to my doctor today. He stated that I should of taken blood test at like 7 or 8 in morning instead of 1pm. Didn't know that. Then he told me that my free testosterone level was fine, and he even went on to say that he had a test with similar results as mine. Any thoughts?

If memory serves right test is highest earlier in the morning? Which we don't want if you're trying to get on trt. Though the time of day could be noted and used against you staying that the only reason your T is low is because of the time of day...

He's right about the timing (they do prefer to catch the early morning release), but I still wouldn't exactly say your free test is 'fine' - it's at the low end of the scale. That lab also has a larger range than most, where 300ng/dl is generally the cut off for 'normal'.

Did they measure your SHBG levels per chance?

^^ It appears they did not. I have a print out of a normal blood test with Testosterone, Testosterone free % and Testosterone free on it. I have to get a different test from somebody else for the SHBG level and what not.

I am going to reschedule blood test with doctor. My oncologist may be able to have a better test done. Outside of going to a wellness clinic, are there specific test markers I am looking for? I want this done right.

I'm going to keep posting to this thread, so that I end up getting done what need needs to be done.

I thank everyone for the comments and suggestions I've received so far.

Last edited: