• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Need help writing a CV

420Sebastior

Ex-Bluelighter
So, i'm out now trying to find a summer job, and i don't have a proper CV yet, i'm not quite sure what it means either.
Could someone tell me what to type in the CV, i'm not saying write it for me, i just wanna know what to put in it
I did search the forum but i couldn't find anything

So in my CV, i'ma list some things i'd add and you could tell me if it's good or not or if i have to add something, and/or answer what a CV is and what to put in it.

So anyway, here's what i think:

Name
Past work experiences
Tell them i can only work half time
Tell them if i have any problems (mentally, like i wanna be in the stock room 'cause i have anxiety)
Give them the number for my adviser
Tell them some of my past history, I.E. why i had to drop off from school twice
I should probably write down my email address and phone number too yeah?

Should i add something or is that good?

Last edited:
I know nothing about CV's except the short snippet we were told the other day in a resume workshop: They are now required for nursing and there are templates available in Microsoft Word. The guy spoke very highly of those templates--I suggest checking them out. ;)

For resumes, you want to keep them positive. You don't include why you were fired or that you were incarcerated or that you have mental health problems. Keep it positive, focus it on your achievements and what you have done with your time--Not what you would have done if you didn't have anxiety.

I was also told you don't want to put that you can only work part-time--You shouldn't apply for a full-time position if you can only work part-time.

Why would you give them the number of your adviser? As a reference? If so, unless it's a personal or professional reference, leave it out. Put personal/professional references on the next page in resumes (not sure about CV's--Go find a template :p).

You should not include your past history outside of your school/work history. Also, I was told to not include any schools I did not graduate from or that were not pertinant to my current degree. So, that leaves a year gap for me to explain in the interview. The interview process is where you glance over your faults and show the prospective employer that you have what it takes to do the job they're looking to hire you from. The interview process is also where you need to keep things upbeat--Nobody wants to hire a "Debbie Downer" or someone with mental problems! You need to leave the interview and the CV on a positive note, or else, guess what? You won't get hired.

Last edited:
There is plenty you can add and take away from that list. For one, this is a CV not a resume. CV stands for curriculum vitae, which means that it focuses on your education NOT your work experience.

My CV goes as follows:

Name, address, phone number, email
Research interests
Education
Positions held (this is where you list your RELEVANT work experience)
Publications
Papers presented
Scholarships and honors
Professional associations

I understand if you do not have any publications or have not presented papers at any conferences. Just leave that stuff out if you have not.

I agree with everything addictive persona had to say about the personal issues/problems and working half-time. Save that kind of stuff for the interview or the application. Same with dropping from school, you can explain yourself in your interview but those things don't go on a CV.

As for the Education section, it is okay to say, "Working towards BA in Psychology," for example if that is what you are currently doing in school.

Don't put your advisor's info or even mention references on a CV (or resume), save that for the application.

@Jerry Atrick
what exactly do you mean research interests? like interests in the working field?

a bluelight title-only search for 'resume' produces 17 results across a handful of forums.

google search for "how do i write a resume" yields 213,000,000 hits - surely one of those has be a good starting point?

a resume should be a succinct, factual account of your skills and experience that is relevant to the position you seek. as such, it can contain more than just paid work experience - include volunteer experience if it's relevant. its purpose is to get you an interview, therefore you should tailor your resume to every application.

alasdair

i've already written the CVs so i'ma start handing them out next week
they're for summer jobs

^ you'll get a job more easily if you stop using the phrase "i'ma"

:)

alasdair

i've already written the CVs so i'ma start handing them out next week
they're for summer jobs

Now if these are for summer jobs, you need to write a resume instead of a CV. Like I said earlier, there is a difference. CV's are more for academic type positions while resumes are for regular old jobs. CVs can be several pages long but a resume should be concise so you should try very hard to fit it into one page. Like addictivepersona said, Microsoft Word has templates for resumes where all you do is fill in the blank. I would try to go with something conservative looking; nothing fancy. That being said, I don't use a template. Like alasdair said, you should customize your resume for each company/job you apply for.

My resume goes as follows:

Name, address, phone number, email
Objective
Relevant experience (jobs, internships, and volunteer positions related to the job in your Objective)
Education (colleges only, you're an adult now so you don't list high school on your resume)
Qualifications (and/or Accomplishments)