• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Need help coming off subutex

Blondieneedsmore

Greenlighter
Hey guys! I've been coming to bluelight for 10 years for advice and just made an account for the first time. I need some help with coming off of subutex. I've been on it for 2 years and it's just time. I stopped taking them completely yesterday after weaning for 6 months. I've heard of people using shorter acting opiates (such as gear) to make the final jump off a little easier. Any input would be greatly appreciated! ❤

Last edited:
Hi Blondi -

Can you tell us more about your situation - why you are quitting, what access to comfort meds you have, if you have ever done this before, your current doseage, etc?

Without knowing more I would not recommend switching to a short acting opiate. Subs are fairly easy to taper with, provided you can do that.

Best of luck.

- VE

Also, I’m hoping a mod might come along and move you to health and recovery where you will get more responses.

I'd pick coming off Bupe over the gear anyday.

You are aware that if you use & have any trace of bupe in your system you will have a horrific withdrawl come upon you in a flash right?

I jumped at 4mg. it wasn't horrible. Personally I wouldn't jump back to Ron or anything. It all depends on your dose.

Hi Blondi -

Can you tell us more about your situation - why you are quitting, what access to comfort meds you have, if you have ever done this before, your current doseage, etc?

Without knowing more I would not recommend switching to a short acting opiate. Subs are fairly easy to taper with, provided you can do that.

Best of luck.

- VE

Also, I’m hoping a mod might come along and move you to health and recovery where you will get more responses.
Hi Blondi -

Best of luck.

- VE

I'll edit to explain a little better. I'm quitting because I've been on them for over 2 years and don't want to depend on them anymore. I don't want to be a lifer. Another reason is I have court coming up and stopped going to my doctor 7 months ago. I've had enough saved to make it until now. I still have a few left. I went to my primary care doctor to get comfort meds like clonidine but she said she wasn't trained in addiction and couldn't help me. I've never come off of subs before but the weaning has been uncomfortable for me. I don't know if it's because I've been on them for so long but i sweat and I'm extremely sensitive to temperature. And all of the other usual symptoms of withdrawal. I got a pill splitter and it's pretty much impossible to get an accurate dose. I'd say I'm at about 1mg. I have a demanding little one to care for as well

I'd pick coming off Bupe over the gear anyday.

You are aware that if you use & have any trace of bupe in your system you will have a horrific withdrawl come upon you in a flash right?
Really? I've heard from many people that bupe lasts so much longer. I'm just planning on using it for a few days while the bupe comes out of my system

Blondi -

Thanks for the information. Did you mention how much you were taking per day/dose?

The reason most people would rather quit subs than heroin is more than likely related to the intensity of the wds. If you switch to H, you will experience a shorter but much more intense wd than off of a longer acting medication like subs.

The way I look at it is, we have to pay the piper. It’s just a matter of intensity and length. Pick your poison, so to speak.

Personally, I prefer the method of a less intense and longer wd - but I would absolutely, in a heart beat, take subs to a short acting opiate (I have zero access to them, so it’s out of the question for me.

How you feeling now, Blondi? Your primary care physician appears to be worthless - it would take her all of five minutes to google clonidine and how to prescribe it, other drug interactions, etc. did she even bother to try to refer you to someone else or suggest an alternative? Were I you, I would drop her and look for a more professional doctor. You don’t have to be trained in addiction to prescribe clonodine.

- VE

Edit to clarify: if you sense any frustration - it’s toward the doctor and not you, Blondi. I’m just frustrated that you asked for help and were blown off like that.

I was at about 1mg. I have the pills and a pill splitter so its hard to get an accurate dose. I am on day 3 without them and used a little gear to get me through. In my mind if it's only used for a few days, coming off of it shouldn't be awful. That's definitely what I'm hoping for. I think the subs should be almost completely out of my system. I'm going to go off of everything this weekend and hope for the best. I felt the same way about my doctor. I couldn't believe that she would turn me away. I definitely need to find a new doctor that's able to help me because the clonidine is a huge help.