• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Need advice on Kratom

Broncdog1

Greenlighter
This is my first time posting here or even talking about this to anyone. I started using opioids about 8 years ago. Like everyone else it was just 2-3 times a week. I was a full-time horse farrier and would pop 1-2 hydrocodone before and after the days I would shoe all day. I also am a full-time cattle rancher and would have things to do at the farm after showing. It didn't take long and I was taking some sort of opiate everyday. Pretty soon I was just taking them to feel good ( Superman). I could get so much done. And be in a good mood.
So now 8-9 years later everything is different. I have been to a couple of pain management clinics. One where the Dr just kept upping my meds until I was taking methadone. This was also my fault as I told him what I was taking wasn't working. I finally decided that I had a problem a decided I could ween of on my own. That was tough. All this was done when I found a wonderful doctor that diagnosed that my hips were shot. I forgot to mention I rodeo saddle broncs for 10 years at professional rodeos all across America. I was young and didn't care about the consequences.
I currently go to a pain management clinics where they prescribed hydrocodone 10-325. I started using KRATOM about a year ago for when I would run out. I know use it about 3 times a day at two teaspoons per dose. When I get the hydrocodone prescription it is basically useless I assume from the KRATOM???
I also take Zoloft 100 mg per day and have Ativan.5 to be taken as needed up to twice a day at first I noticed the Zoloft and Ativan helped a lot and I was happy and in a good mood but not so much anymore. I wonder if it's all because I'm taking the KRATOM??? When I try to stop taking the KRATOM I get horrible RLS very very bad, my muscles tense up so bad that it feels like they will explode. Chills sweet the whole withdrawal.
My question is how to get off this KRATOM. It has become a habit and a problem.
Thank you

Over the last few months of 2016, I also developed a bad Kratom habit. I had just gotten off 3 years of methadone, following an 8 year opioid / heroin addiction. I should have known to stay away from that shit when I finally got off of the methadone but what can I say, old habits and shitty ways of thinking die hard. It got to the point where I would be craving Kratom non stop. I needed to take another tsp every 4 hours to feed the compulsion. If I didn't take a dose, I would notice slight opiate like wd symptoms. The Kratom was so readily available that I never really tried properly to stop. My body needed and expected that dose every 4 hours. I never ever ever slept longer than four hours in a row. I would wake up needing a dose. This went on until I found out I was pregnant. Then, I just started to feel incredibly guilty. There is really no reliable research on how Kratom affects an unborn baby, and I was just constantly feeling like I was harming my baby. Especially after two what I believe were Kratom related fainting spells. Given my past addiction to actual opiates, the fact that I was still experiencing post a cute wd from methadone, and the fact that I had no ideA what the Kratom was doing to my baby, I made the choice to start Subutex treatment and I have not looked back on Kratom since. Now I know, recommending taking bupe to deal with a Kratom habit sounds like recommending killing a fly with an atom bomb....but with all my past addiction problems with opiates, and the fact that I felt so guilty taking Kratom, it was the right choice for me. I would rather be on a medicine that has been studied and that I know how it will affect my body than some uncontrolled plant matter that could potentially harm me and my baby 100 times worse any day. That's just my two cents.

Slow modium, thanks for your reply. I started out thaking just .5, 2-3 times a day. Now that I've stopped the hydrocodone I've been taking about 1, 2-3 times a day. It doesn't seem to help I guess by some miracle it will.
Should I just stop the atavan. And just taped the Keaton slow. My problem is I have a very physical job and could use some pain relief. I remember when I could just take a hydrocodone and be fine but the Keaton has things all messed up
Thanks for the replies I really appreciate your thoughts and advice. Even if it's blunt and harsch I'll do what it takes

I started out at .5 twice a day but now take 1 mg twice a day it seemed to help at first but not so much now. The Kratom also used to help with pain but does very little now and am pretty sure the Keaton is why the hydrocodone doesn't work. I would stop the kratom but it does give some pain relief. I'm afraid to tell the pain management clinic about the kratom.
I really don't know what to do should I use the hydrocodone to wean off the kratom ??
Thanks

It could be worth trying a different, weaker strain of kratom for the sake of weaning. "Stem & vein" kratom is often said to be good for reducing tolerance and cutting down use of other types of kratom, so that might be worth looking into. I don't have any personal experience with hydrocodone or other "proper" opiates but I suspect it could be a bit over-kill for the sake of weaning a kratom habit and possibly make things worse in the long-run.

I would stick to just one drug. IMO, kratom is the least harmful out of the Ativan, kratom, and hydro, but it sounds like you definitely don't need to be taking both opioids and benzos. In case you don't know, despite benzos having a subtle effect for some people, they're by far the most physically addictive out if those three drugs. I would stop or taper off the benzo before anything else, and then I would reccomend limiting yourself to taking kratom or hydro once a day max. The goal with pain meds is to take as little as you can while still remaining functional. When you start taking them to help you get through every little day to day task, you can very easily fall down the rabbit hole and into the world of addiction.

Last thing, you might benefit from taking an SNRI that's meant for pain relief. If the Zoloft helped, an SNRI might be a good option.