• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Need advice new Percocet user!!! Concerns!! Please help if have experience!!

PandaVii

Bluelighter
Hello, I'm panda bear
i was recently prescribed Percocet 5-325 for chronic gastritis. I am allowed 1-2 every 4 to 6 hours as needed. Iv currently been on it for about a month now, and I usually take 1 1/2 every four hours. When I started taking Percocet I had no problems but tonight noticed I was having a few side effects; itchy skin, shortness of breath, barley able to keep my eyes open, headache, nausea, pain in my chest and arms. I also have bad anxiety so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or if I'm just having a panic attack because I get in my own head. I have never exceeded my dose but since iv been on it every day, every four hours for about four weeks I'm not sure if there are side effects to long term use. And if there is cause for concern I took my last dose about two hours ago,when can I safely go to sleep. Any advice can help.

Thank you

I guess I have a few things to say. First, with ALL drugs, the following influence how the drug will work:

1. The Drug
--A. Dosage of drug per time period
--B. Duration of time using at a particular dosage
2. Set (your internal mind/body state)
3. Setting (outside influences, e.g., work stress, physical insults to your body, diet, etc.)

Drugs are not laser beams. They don't just have one tidy little effect. Drugs are shotguns. They have many effects. The desirable effects are embraced, and the undesirable effects are written off as "side effects". If you look up the side effects of Percocet, you'll see if what you're experiencing are common side effects. You might want to be on a lower dose. As for "side effects of long term use", the answer is "yes", there are. When you put a chemical in your body for a long enough period of time, you alter the structures of various cells including neurons and neural networks. Something like Percocet can produce some pretty nasty changes as a result of longterm use. Look up "long term opiod use" in a search engine.

All of what I have said misses the main point, though. Given what you've written about the gastritis, the symptoms, the anxiety, etc. I HIGHLY suspect this is a mind/body issue. You shouldn't even be on these meds. Check out Dr. John Sarno and "Tension Myositis Syndrome". Good luck.

Last edited:
I guess I have a few things to say. First, with ALL drugs, the following influence how the drug will work:

1. The Drug
--A. Dosage of drug per time period
--B. Duration of time using at a particular dosage
2. Set (your internal mind/body state)
3. Setting (outside influences, e.g., work stress, physical insults to your body, diet, etc.)

Drugs are not laser beams. They don't just have one tidy little effect. Drugs are shotguns. They have many effects. The desirable effects are embraced, and the undesirable effects are written off as "side effects". If you look up the side effects of Percocet, you'll see if what you're experiencing are common side effects. You might want to be on a lower dose. As for "side effects of long term use", the answer is "yes", there are. When you put a chemical in your body for a long enough period of time, you alter the structures of various cells including neurons and neural networks. Something like Percocet can produce some pretty nasty changes as a result of longterm use. Look up "long term opiod use" in a search engine.

All of what I have said misses the main point, though. Given what you've written about the gastritis, the symptoms, the anxiety, etc. I HIGHLY suspect this is a mind/body issue. You shouldn't even be on these meds. Check out Dr. John Sarno and "Tension Myositis Syndrome". Good luck.

^ This is a good post and I don't have much more to add. Panda Bear, what you may want to do is lower your dosage so you're only taking one tablet when needed. This should help to reduce the side effects of Percocet. Has your doctor discussed any other treatments or medications?

If you're taking them as prescribed, just talk with your doc about it. Most of those are side effects of oxycodone, but a few sound like they're from the acetominophen (percocet contains both). Look up how to do a cold water extraction, it removes the acetominophen from the oxycodone. All that acetominophen is probably causing some permanent liver damage, and the chest and arm pain. Next time you see your doc ask him about switching to a non-acetominophen brand

Thank you very much for all of your fast replies �� I reallly appreciate it. I made an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to talk about the things you guys have suggested. Thank you for all the wonderful advice