• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Need advice, Is this Benzo schedule "Safe"?

Fazy

Greenlighter
I aquire 10mg MSJ Valiums to help relax me and sleep. But I don't want to take them everyday because of the long half life and I certainly don't want to become dependent.

My doctor has prescribed me anti depressants (10mg Citalopram daily) which I have been taking daily for a week now. I saw him today after a week and he gave me 28 10mg Temazepams. He doesn't know I take diazepam.

My tolerance for diazepam has gone up so I have to take at least 50mg to notice an effect. So I made an uneducated plan....

3 days of 30mg Temazepam followed by 4-5 days of 30-50mg diazepam.

Can anyone give me any advice on my plan or advice in general?

How long for my tolerance to Diazepam to go down? (Considering I'll be taking Temazepam on the off days). What's a safe intake window for diazepam? I'm sure my doctor won't continue to prescribe me Temazepam for long, I live in the UK.

I realise I've kinda rambled so I'm sorry. But please can someone give me advice. I don't want to develop a benzo dependency but I also don't want to stop taking them.

Considering all the above is there some sort of safe way or regiment to continue the benzo use?

Many thanks for any responses!

Should I maybe take the Temazepams until they are finished then switch back to Diazepam? I read that the tolerance to Temazepam goes up dramatically?

Also will I develop a benzo dependency in general even if I'm splitting my regiment with different benzos waiting for each one to completely leave my system until I go back to the other one?

no to will your plan work. you have to take 50mg to notice an effect? you're already getting scripts from multiple doctors or getting the valium black market? you are rapidly approaching benzo addiction. it's a world of hurt. benzo tolerance doesn't really go down after developing a habit. you could quit for years and be back to you standard dose a day or two after starting again. there is significant cross tolerance between benzos. they are all the same. switching between them won't help. taking one and then the other is practically the same as just taking one all the time.

how long have you been taking them for?

no to will your plan work. you have to take 50mg to notice an effect? you're already getting scripts from multiple doctors or getting the valium black market? you are rapidly approaching benzo addiction. it's a world of hurt. benzo tolerance doesn't really go down after developing a habit. you could quit for years and be back to you standard dose a day or two after starting again. there is significant cross tolerance between benzos. they are all the same. switching between them won't help. taking one and then the other is practically the same as just taking one all the time.

how long have you been taking them for?
This. & btw Diazepam has a long half life so if you took Temezapam the next day the vals would still be in your system. Also as stated benzos are very cross tolerant. I'm also curious as to how long you been taking them.

Thanks for the responses. I'm getting the Valiums black market. I'm only going to one doctor and he gave me the anti depressants and Temazepam.

I've been taking the Valium everyday for about a month. I did the same a few months ago.

So considering the long half life of diazepam is there a safe weekly intake window/schedule to avoid dependency?

I really appreciate the responses and I'm not downplaying the danger of benzo addiction/withdrawal, but I have no problem sourcing them so if it came to it I could follow a taper off plan at home.

Thanks again for your responses and time. It's much appreciated. Just so you know the Valiums are the 10mg MSJ's off the black market but not from the street. They definitely have valium in them. Not sure on the consistency of the amount in each pill though.

Oh and I should mention I didn't really notice any withdrawal symptoms the last time I used them daily for around a month. I'm thinking if there's a safe amount of days in a row to take valium a week then maybe switch to moderate alcohol consumption for the testing period.

Thoughts or advice?

Anything is appreciated.

someone else will have to answer that. i consider your question the same as how much heroin can i blow a week. if benzos are your drug of choice, even worse. whoever tells you a safe weekly dose just doesn't connect well with them and loves some other class of drugs, or more likely is on the road to addiction themselves. many, many years ago i would have told you 20mg every other week. now i know taking benzos habitually is assured disaster. even if it takes you years to get to habitual daily use, you will get there. i've had two years sober just to relapse again. and again. benzos are always where i first cave with sobriety. once you're in, the addiction is life long.

i know that's not what you want to hear. pick a different drug man. opiates, benzos, coke/crack, and (i hear, don't like it myself) meth are doom for the ones you really like. if you are gonna take it, set your internal alarm to freak the fuck out when you cross once a week. and i gaurentee you'll cross that line if you take them regularly. sorry to be a bummer. welcome to bluelight.

Don't be sorry I really appreciate your advice. When I adjust to the anti depressants I might not feel the need for anything else and I'll just go back to drinking moderately. I just can't smoke weed because I started that when I was around 13 and smoked it daily for around 8-9 years in total. I was smoking 1-2 grams of high grade a day and I had a serious problem. Not just with how much it was costing (£10 a gram) but if I didn't have it I felt like crap.

Ideally I can just get used to these anti depressants, start working out again and keep some valium for emergencies if I start getting real bad anxiety or I can't sleep.

impressively reasonable. that sounds like a good plan. though i'd save a doctor prescribed tube of benzos instead of the black market valium for emergencies, if possible. that way you know exactly what you are taking, keeps a professional opinion in the picture, and protects you legally. working out makes a huge difference. same with sleeping well and eating right. i struggle with mental illness myself. i sure wish i wouldn't have brought hard drug addiction into the picture. and most of my benzos were covered by health insurance. doctors were happy to give them to me and i was good at getting them because of being sick and in cognitive therapy and all that. though i hear they are changing their mentality about that these days. took them long enough.

very smart of you to recognize that weed can be an actual problem. especially if you are suffering from depression or anything similar. congrats on breaking a long habit.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your responses. They mean a lot. You're so right about the working out, eating right and sleeping right. Those three in conjunction have a hugely positive impact on mental health. I'm hoping these anti depressants will help me get back into that positive swing of all the above and then I can taper off of them. I will have to get my valium black market though because it's a controlled substance here in the UK and rightly so. But when I finally meet my psychiatrist in June I might try and get some from them for emergencies. I know that self medicating isn't sensible. I was self medicating what I think is bi polar with the weed all those years. When people tell me that there's nothing wrong with weed I roll my eyes. If you smoke it habitually you're gonna have problems.

I really appreciate all your sincere and honest advice. This is why I started this thread. I didn't want people to BS me and say "Nah you'll be okay just do this or this"

Much appreciated mate!

Thank mate. I am almost 100% sure I have bi polar and that is why I've abused drugs since an early age. Now it's got to a point where I'm actually reaching out for help from doctors which was very hard for me. But my doctor is a really nice dude, just a shame I have to wait so long to see my psychiatrist but it's all free and the NHS is very stretched at the moment so I really can't complain. I'm hoping for an official diagnosis of bi polar because I believe that will not only help with appropriate treatment but with peace of mind.

Can I ask a personal question about how your bi polar is being treated? And any other advice you can offer me because I'm sure I've got it. Feel free to PM me if it's too personal for the thread. Just notify me here so I know you sent the message.

One thing I'm scared of is lithium. I kinda like my Mania/Hypermania I feel like that's just me. It's the mood swings to depression and even feeling suicidal that was messing me up and ultimately led me to the doctors. I was very dubious about taking the citalopram but it already after a week seems to have helped my depression but maybe increased my mania slightly.

Thanks again for your time

glad you are finding some help. a diagnosis brings huge peace of mind. that said i'm not doing well with mental illness due to a stubborn refusal to take medication anymore. see here. let me tell you refusing medication is not working well. i am wrecking myself. i've done plenty of therapy though. and found it does not work alone.

i see you talking about tapering off of the anti-depressants. i assume you mean replacing them with whatever your psychiatrist prescribes? because you can't press "reset" on bipolar disorder, in my experience. come of the drugs and it's right there waiting for you. but your psych will certainly have a better idea of appropriate treatment than your general doctor.

i don't drink. i am giving up coffee too (it's been off and on the last few years). those are personal choices and i don't know if required for bipolar treatment, but i find both to aggravate my condition. plus drinking sends me back to benzos.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response I'll check out your thread for sure.

I read the whole thread. Your last comment was very enlightening. I feel like I can relate to you a lot. When I'm in a manic or hyper manic state I can get tons of work done, I'm very creative and chatty and even happy. But when manic not hyper manic I may feel anxious or unsettled and restless and have a very hard time sleeping. I'm looking forward to but at the same time quite anxious about finally meeting my psychiatrist.

Thanks for taking the time to chat to me!

I aquire 10mg MSJ Valiums to help relax me and sleep. But I don't want to take them everyday because of the long half life and I certainly don't want to become dependent.

My doctor has prescribed me anti depressants (10mg Citalopram daily) which I have been taking daily for a week now. I saw him today after a week and he gave me 28 10mg Temazepams. He doesn't know I take diazepam.

My tolerance for diazepam has gone up so I have to take at least 50mg to notice an effect. So I made an uneducated plan....

3 days of 30mg Temazepam followed by 4-5 days of 30-50mg diazepam.

[...]

How long for my tolerance to Diazepam to go down? (Considering I'll be taking Temazepam on the off days)

going at this rate you will end up addicted. you're secretly taking benzos ion top of your prescribed ones, your tolerance is shooting up and you appear to be taking them everyday. if you want your tolerance to go down you need to stop taking them.

honestly there is nothing worse than benzo withdrawals, which are also incredibly dangerous because you can have a seizure and die.

either take them as prescribed or don't take them at all.