• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Natural selection and gender question (growing question)

Whosajiggawaaa

Bluelighter
I'm seeking clarity as to how seeds (there were not many at all) passed on from really great plant with quality bud that was 100 % female turn out when you plant them. I'm growing a few seeds I found in one of my biggest plants - one of my biggest harvests of all times at 160 grams - after manicuring so that's bud weight alone (the manicuring on that plant took a full day between 2 people but was quite fun - we got really stoned and listened to reggae whilst manicuring). This plant (i referred and will refer to as Big Purp) was huge, at around 6.5/7 feet tall have pics.

The plants(descendants) I have currently growing now, four of em are from the 8 or 9 seeds i found in the whole plant , granted I got rid of a lot in bulk but seeds were very scarce it's not like it was a hermie is my point.

One of the 4 plants has already revealed it's sex as female (proper pistils, textbook without shadow of doubt a female) but the 3 others are about stomach height and have not revealed their sex at all yet (no pistils or balls) - I'm quite a veteran of a grower , I do know what to look for.
My most important question is :Will these seeds - the four plants (the other 3 that haven't showed their sex i mean now) I'm growing from seeds passed on from the aforementioned Big Purp all be female/feminized ???

I don't think that the fact 1 of the 4 descendants of big purp (my nickname for that giant I referred to above that the seeds for these were retrieved from) is already obviously 100% female is neither here or there in terms answering my question, but it interests me as to why one of the 4 plants all from the same mother is showing it's sex so much earlier than the others I mean it first started showing pistils 2 weeks ago and still no pistils or balls on the other 3 now .

My second question is of lessor importance. But are these 4 plants (1 a definite female and with any luck the other 3 will be too) likely to be stronger and better than big purp was (the feed back from big purp was all good - and because of her size as mentioned above there was a fk tonne of her to go around too) due to natural selection ?

Last edited:
Fem seeds come from stressing out female plants, making them hermie and collecting the seeds. People use things like colloquial silver to do this.

This prevents the female plant from having any male chromosomes, making the seeds all turn out female. Lots of dutch seed companies claim this makes them all identical and that you don't have to pheno hunt with fem seeds, but I've heard that's not always true.

I'm sure someone else could break it down in much more detail but that's the gist of it.

I basically just regurgitated what I heard from Bret Maverick in this video he talks about it a bit.

Last edited:
Fem seeds come from stressing out female plants, making them hermie and collecting the seeds.
This is my understanding as well.

The other 3 plants the OP has could be male or female.

I don't really have anymore info for you as I mainly worked with clones, which always inherit the genetics including the sex.

To answer your second question, if I understand correctly, those seeds will be a genetic mix. Natural selection happens over many generations in the wild. You are doing small scale artificial selection by only growing seeds from strong plants.

This is my understanding as well.

The other 3 plants the OP has could be male or female.

I don't really have anymore info for you as I mainly worked with clones, which always inherit the genetics including the sex.

but the seeds were all from one female. am i wrong in thinking they will be feminized?

but the seeds were all from one female. am i wrong in thinking they will be feminized?
If you are 100% sure it's 100% female, then that means it's not a hermie (hermies are both male and female), which is the requirement listed above to make the seeds fem.

Also, if you are growing more than one plant in the same area you can't garauntee that another plant didn't hermied and pollenate your girl.

You would have to isolate her and hermie her to be 100% sure of your work.

no not 100% as their were males i had to kill last harvest - although i got em fairly early they coulda done it as they quite obviously male.

^ Exactly. Any other males around her (even if they are young) really throws off your control of the situation for something like this. Even other females around can make this task extremely difficult because other females may drop balls and pollinate other girls.

Grats on the new baby girl! :D

Thanks. So I am rolling the dice with the other 3 like I thought initially. Monitor em until they show there sex then deal with them accordingly *cracks knuckles*.