• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Narcolespy surprising treatment

andyjackson

Greenlighter
Hi

I was speaking with a friend that is having a tough time managing a few concurrent chronic health issues. One being narcolepsy of some kind.

They have been on dexamphetamine for some time after trying various non ampetamine alternatives. Also prescribed diazepam. And they are currently in the process of getting the okay to begin Zyrem (GHB).

I would hope the combination is safe in therapeutic doses, the addition of the GHB which interacts pretty significantly with the other two makes it seem wild though..

My only experiences with this combo or very very similar have shown it to be potent when everything's in effect at the same time. Doses ranging from small amounts to properly irresponsible, so my surprise and concern might be completely baseless here.

Also, the dex and zyrem are HEAVILY controlled in my country. Is this a common treatment (with clear dose time windows) for difficult cases, or a bit wacky?

Hi

I was speaking with a friend that is having a tough time managing a few concurrent chronic health issues. One being narcolepsy of some kind.

They have been on dexamphetamine for some time after trying various non ampetamine alternatives. Also prescribed diazepam. And they are currently in the process of getting the okay to begin Zyrem (GHB).

I would hope the combination is safe in therapeutic doses, the addition of the GHB which interacts pretty significantly with the other two makes it seem wild though..

My only experiences with this combo or very very similar have shown it to be potent when everything's in effect at the same time. Doses ranging from small amounts to properly irresponsible, so my surprise and concern might be completely baseless here.

Also, the dex and zyrem are HEAVILY controlled in my country. Is this a common treatment (with clear dose time windows) for difficult cases, or a bit wacky?
seems like a pretty standard treatment course for genuine narcolepsy. As long as this is done under the full auspices of a trained physician, it should be fine. The xyrem and the benzos would be dangerous out in the wild, but if it's a carefully calibrated dose every night, it should be fine.
Now - what I would REALLY stress to your friend is they need to NOT DRINK AT ALL while on this medicine regime. So if they have a proclivity for the booze, they might want to rethink it.