• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Narcan (naloxone) available OTC in most US states

here's the listing of states where it can be purchased OTC, either directly OTC or with a standing physicians order where it will be prescribed on the spot, at certain prominent pharmacy chains (i believe they are still working to expand the program to cover all 50 states):

Pharmacy Chain A
* Arkansas * California * Connecticut
* Indiana * Kentucky * Maryland
* Massachusetts * Minnesota * Mississippi
* Montana * New Hampshire * New Jersey
* New York * North Carolina * North Dakota
* Ohio * Pennsylvania * Rhode Island
* Tennessee * Utah * Vermont
* Virginia * Wisconsin

Pharmacy Chain B
* Alabama * Arkansas * California
* Colorado * Connecticut * District of Columbia
* Idaho * Illinois * Indiana
* Kentucky * Louisiana * Maine
* Maryland * Massachusetts * Minnesota
* Mississippi * Montana * Nebraska
* New Hampshire * New Jersey * New Mexico
* New York * North Carolina * Ohio
* Oklahoma * Oregon * Pennsylvania
* Rhode Island * South Dakota * Tennessee
* Texas * Utah * Vermont
* Virginia * Washington * Wisconsin

as long as you're in one of the states listed, you're either already able to carry around naloxone without a script or you will be given a prescription for it on the spot, so there shouldnt be anything to worry about legally.

You can add Georgia to that list. You do have to go to specific chains, but a quick Google search can help to find chains in your area. The only problem is you will need patience, as most places I called or visited locally were clueless about what it Narcan is. The one pharmacist that knew without looking it up wasn't even aware that it was now legal. She did explain that the "standing order" is only with certain chains, and even then it's limited to specific locations.

As a crohnic pain patient I was surprised by how little the staff at my pain clinic knew about it. My doctor seemed to at least be knowledgeable that they were working on the bill though he didn't think the bill had taken effect yet. He wrote a prescription for it, but it was the injectible. Apparently there is a nasal spray and I would definitely prefer the nasal spray over the injection.

So yeah the nasal spray is available and falls under the laws in Georgia. The standing order covers it at certain pharmacies and there are even apps to teach one to use it.

bump. imo this kind of lifesaving info should be stickied or something, but its not up to me.

Problem is we already have like 9 stickies and most people seems to ignore them anyway

Problem is we already have like 9 stickies and most people seems to ignore them anyway

yeah, that was always a major problem in all of bl's subforums, nobody ever bothered reading any of the stickies anywhere. maybe it could be rolled into like a general harm reduction info megathread or an index thread linking to general / highly informative/useful HR threads (like if there's an faq/writeup on IVs, needle exchanges, coping with/managing withdrawal, etc); not exactly the same as the list of megathreads thread, but like an HR must-read list kinda thing, yaknow? considering how essential naloxone is to saving lives and the importance of it being available to opioid users, this is information that should not get lost.