• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Name of medication used for opiate withdrawal?

drgluckenstein

Greenlighter
When I was in the psych ward in a hospital a couple of years ago, I let them know when I was beginning to experience opiate withdrawal after it had been some hours that I had been there. I'd been taking kratom and prescription opiods at the time before my intake. They gave me some kind of medication for it, presumably a psychiatric medication, and it helped with the withrdrawal symptoms soooo much, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what it was they gave me. I've tried to contact them, and contact doctors and nobody's been able to tell me anything other than "suboxone", which I'm 90% certain it wasn't.
- I'm pretty sure it started with a "c".
- It helped with the yawning, watery eyes and nose, and made me sleepy.
I wish I had more info on this. If anyone might know what they gave me, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. Maybe someone else has been in this situation and was given the same thing and remembers what it was. I'm trying to quit, but I can't go through the sleepless nights and high stress right now because I have obligations that require me to be fully functional right now. Thanks in advance. Sorry if this post was poorly written.

Welcome to Bluelight.

They probably gave you Clonidine.
I think I mentioned Clonidine to my doctor and he said that it's a blood pressure medication, which I'm aware of, but I also know that it's often used to opiate withdrawals. Maybe I should try a different doctor... Unfortunately, it seems most doctors aren't equipped with the skills necessary to treat opiate addiction and usually won't mess with it. Again, this is pretty unfortunate given the amount of people in the U.S. alone who are addicted. This doctor recommended me to an inpatient rehab facility, which is completely ridiculous, given the type of "opiate" and dosage of it that I use, as well as the fact that I'm highly functioning and have a home and a family that I need to be present to care for. Like, is this the only option in my area? Sorry, kind of venting about it. I'll probably try to get in contact with another doctor, preferably one that has experience using Clonidine to treat opiate withdrawals.

I think I mentioned Clonidine to my doctor and he said that it's a blood pressure medication, which I'm aware of, but I also know that it's often used to opiate withdrawals. Maybe I should try a different doctor... Unfortunately, it seems most doctors aren't equipped with the skills necessary to treat opiate addiction and usually won't mess with it. Again, this is pretty unfortunate given the amount of people in the U.S. alone who are addicted. This doctor recommended me to an inpatient rehab facility, which is completely ridiculous, given the type of "opiate" and dosage of it that I use, as well as the fact that I'm highly functioning and have a home and a family that I need to be present to care for. Like, is this the only option in my area? Sorry, kind of venting about it. I'll probably try to get in contact with another doctor, preferably one that has experience using Clonidine to treat opiate withdrawals.
Clonidine can be highly helpful for opiate withdrawal. If it started with a “c” it is highly likely that was it.

Do you know if a psychiatrist would be able to prescribe it? I'm going to be seeing one pretty soon, so maybe they'll be able to get it to me.

Do you know if a psychiatrist would be able to prescribe it? I'm going to be seeing one pretty soon, so maybe they'll be able to get it to me.
Highly likely. Frankly I’m surprised that your GP wouldn’t write it. It’s only for acute withdrawal though. Not for long term use. It will only help for a bit.