• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Name change

AE.

Greenlighter
I wont go into to much detail but today i made the plunge to get my name changed First and Surname. If anyone has ever done this, can i get some feedback, if i get approved. What i will be faced with for the rest of my life?

I understand family are aware of the choice im making presently, and they are all for it "i think" dont quote me on that, its my life and i can make whatever choices i make. Close friends will feel weird about this. Its not like i have many anyway.

Lets face it anyone who is/was close to me will have to adjust the new change, if approved or if they like still call me by that, but around new people its going to get confusing at times. I guess alot are now asking - why? Am i running from something/someone? Im not running from anything or someone, i like to think im the person that faces the music with whatever reprcussion im faced with, it catches up with u eventually. Why? - Well i want to be happy with who i am, i have no attachment with my current name =\

congrats on being bold. i've never met anyone who's legally changed their name (excluding through marriage). i hope you find that your friends an family honor the change.

I changed my last name. The sexist government required when I was born that I have my fathers last name, despite the fact he abandoned me and I grew up with my mom, couldn't legally change it without both parents permission till I was 18 and my dad being all gone and such made getting his signature to change it as a kid a problem, sp I changed it after I turned 18. I now have my mothers last name instead. Expect a lot of work changing it with millions of pre-established shit like drivers licenses, bank accounts and such.

Although I only changed my name legally once, I gave gone through a lot of aliases in my life, at least 4. Different first names and nicknames. Probably cause of my life long intense desire to run away from my life, myself, and such. First started when I was about 9ish, I have never since regularly gone by my birth name. As a result sometimes I feel like I don't have a name that's truly 'mine', cause I was so young when I started. Funny how having so many names left me feeling like I don't have a 'real name' like other people do.

I've known a lot of people that have changed their names (both given names and surnames) for all sorts of reasons, including my own mother. It's difficult at first, speaking from the friend perspective (probably even more so for family) but eventually it becomes easier and everyone forgets the original name. Sometimes I notice that people that change their names have no patience for others that forget and call them the original name--try not to fall into that category because all it will accomplish is alienating your friends; just stick to it and wait for it to naturally roll off everyone's tongues as smoothly as the old name did.

Found out recently that a friend can't get a passport because their mother has used a different surname other than her maiden name as their mother had also done the same and so they've had no real documentation to confirm the mothers identity and as they're born out of wedlock they never took the fathers name. They tried solicitors and going to the passport office apparently.

Dude, imagine your mother changed your name and now you can never travel very far because you aren't allowed a passport! I'd knife the bitch when I found lol.