• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Naloxone to check against opioid activity? / effects in the opioid-naive / memantine

palmanita

Bluelighter
Once I had a really terrific experience from naloxone exposure while I neither had an opioid in my body, nor a tolerance to them. I had crushed a tilidine 100mg / naloxone 8mg pill, knowing that the naloxone is in there to avoid abuse, but thinking it would only be active when injected. And assuming that, should some of it reach the receptors nevertheless, then it would just block the tilidine.

So I snorted maybe 25mg/2mg (very probably less than that) and after less a minute a surge of strong restlessness, anxiety and dysphoria hit me, senseless tears ran down my face without end. This lasted for 30-45 min. It also 'associated' me with the environment, diminishing the usual distance.

Now, it appears to me that we have little data about the reactions of opioid-naives to naloxone (in contrast to naltrexone which is used for alcoholism too - here I've already wondered about how complete endorphin blockade influences emotions and general mood).

I've found this yesterday (Endogenous and Exogenous Opiate Agonists and Antagonists, Proceedings of the International Narcotic Research Club Conference, 1979):

amH.png

amR.png

am4.png

(Holy shit, they make newborn chicks crying!)

But this clearly states that naloxone has, or can have, strong emotional effects in individuals that never saw any opioid before. Okay, we're not guinea pigs or chicks, but I assume it's not that much different in humans.

Doesn't this implicate that naloxone as a tool to measure opioid receptor mediated effects isn't reliable (like when venlafaxine/mirtazapine were tested for opioid involvement)?

Also I think naloxone has been proven to be an inverse agonist and not a plain antagonist - now it would be interesting to compare naloxone and buprenorphine/samidorphine. Even the latter should render the opioid system inactive, blocking endorphins/enkephalins/dynorphins, but without the effects from inverse agonism- or am I wrong?

---

In the time of my naloxone contact I have been on 30mg per day of memantine for impulsivity and ADD, and 150mcg of clonidine at bedtime. Neither of them has any direct opioid receptor involvement but both are effective against opioid W/D. The clonidine should just decrease norepinephrine, so the memantine remains.

I've read repeatedly now that the pharmacokinetics of memantine are in a way that it doesn't act like most NMDA antagonists but specifically against over-active currents (or something like that). Might its NMDA effects, or some other target, lead to increased endorphin activity - making it an indirect opioid agonist and explaining my adverse reaction to naloxone?

This would explain its efficacy in opioid W/D - something I can prove because I've used it at a later time for this and it worked really well. If you ask me, it is maybe the most under-used aid for opioid tapering.

Or am I just overly sensitive to naloxone (how can anyone who ceased drinking and is already tensed and maybe depressive, only stand huge 50mg of naltrexone!?)

I know colloquially from heroin using friends and my own personal experience that precipitated withdrawal (PWS) and post acute withdrawal (PAWS) make one very expressively emotional, when it comes to crying and feeling sorrow; also involuntary tearing and watery eyes in various states of low blood concentrations of exogenous opioid when dependent seems to often occur.

Blunted emotional affect are factors seen with both SSRI anti-depressants and CNS depressants.

(Holy shit, they make newborn chicks crying!)

They also inject mice with cocaine and then proceed to immediately decapitate them alive with a guillotine and slice their brain into slivers, pour fluid into it, and look at it with microscopic visual tools.

I had crushed a tilidine 100mg / naloxone 8mg pill, knowing that the naloxone is in there to avoid abuse, but thinking it would only be active when injected. [...] So I snorted maybe 25mg/2mg

Injection and snorting is actually the same in the sense that they both avoid the first-pass effect.

Now, it appears to me that we have little data about the reactions of opioid-naives to naloxone

I think your reaction was not atypical.

Infamous Vice chemist-consult Hammilton Morris answered this very question (albeit with the orally-availiable naltrexone and not IV naloxone): unsurprisingly, opioid-antagonists in a "sober" individual will generally just make them fell like shit for a while. Kind of like opioid w/d - all the typical symptoms are there. The fact that naloxone has a more rapid onset and shorter half life would probably suggest, by analogy to the "good" opioids, that it would make you feel more shitty, but for less time, than naltrexone. I would wager the end experience is the same.

Also, memantine is a good adjunct to opiod w/d therapy, but not neccesarily due to any direct interaction between it and the opioid system. I think it's that dissociatives/NMDA antagonists can be equal or better painkilers than opioids in their own right as well as having a unique euphoriant effect... so it makes them a good 'drop in substitute', and given that the tolerance and withdrawal profile of dissociatives is much cmoother than opioids, why not, right?