Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Naloxone shortage UK?

wcote2

Bluelighter
Hi,

So I'm up in Salford and my missus got on a methadone script about 6-8 weeks ago.

When she got her first meth script she also got a script for a couple of Naloxone vials. I belive this is standard in Salford. (Plus a free lockable box to store your meth which is a brlliant idea)

ANYWAY she goes to get her first dose of Meth all fine on the meth. However the pharmist says he will order the Naloxone in for next day. That aint unusual happens quite often for medication.

Next couple of days pharmasist tells her not yet, after few days he tells her there is a shortage around the country as giving out Naloxone has really increased across the UK in last year or 2 (which it has)

Still though its 6-8 weeks on and she still cant get the Naloxone.

Was wondering if other people are having this problem. Because the obvious impact is people dying cus Naloxone scripts are stacking up at pharmacys. It would be fucking tragic to think that a person dies cus the drug that could safe them is in short supply. Its great that access to Naloxone is finally underway. Just a shame its been badly prepared for with potential deadly results.

So folks anyone else having it happen to themselves or hear other people having to wait weeks or even months?

Sorry for crap spelling and grammar.

Also why dont we get Narcan the thing that puts the Naloxone up your nose? Means you can carry it and worry about smashing it.

I would guess cost. Naloxone vials likely cheap. Narcan is still in patent so probs quite expensive.

Prob shortage of that!

Also why dont we get Narcan the thing that puts the Naloxone up your nose? Means you can carry it and worry about smashing it.

I would guess cost. Naloxone vials likely cheap. Narcan is still in patent so probs quite expensive.

Prob shortage of that!

There is indeed a nationwide shortage of naloxone at present. While it hasn't impacted on my current employer (ambulance) just yet it is known about.

Just like the morphine ampoule shortage of 2014, the diamorphine amp shortage of 2009 etc. etc....

It seems that, since its formation, there hasn't been a year where we weren't told that the NHS was on it's knees and facing imminent collapse.

It seems that, since its formation, there hasn't been a year where we weren't told that the NHS was on it's knees and facing imminent collapse.

In don't get on my knees for no cunt Don....(although I am close to collapse) :)

Its a supply issue from producer. Cant blame the NHS. I guess you could say they could have asked for more to be produced in advance?

Christ if medics ran out! That be awful. I guess go back to adrelain?

Any idea when it be sorted?

Its a supply issue from producer. Cant blame the NHS. I guess you could say they could have asked for more to be produced in advance?

No idea about when it might get sorted. I'm on the sick at the moment so a bit out of the loop...

Adrenaline wouldnt really help a heroin overdose though as it doesn't reverse respiratory depression and is only helpful if someone has flatlined.....even that help is dubious as it overstimulates the heart and can lead to a massive heart attack in the hours following administration.

Before naloxone (A full mu antagonist) was used for people ODing nalorphine (A mixed agonist/antagonist like buprenorphine) was used. I read in a 2008 BNF that naloxone doesn't always reverse buprenorphine overdose and that nalorphine does but it said that it would need to be ordered.

A lot of needle exchange programs in England are giving out the Prenoxad brand of naloxone. It comes in a fluorescent orange case, they cost the NHS about £15-£16 per injection.

In the box is a syringe with 2mg naloxone (5 Doses of 400mcg) and 2 blue intramuscular needles. It also contains a form on what to do when someone is ODing.

Try asking your doc' to change the script to Prenoxad or try your local exchange.

Before naloxone (A full mu antagonist) was used for people ODing nalorphine (A mixed agonist/antagonist like buprenorphine) was used. I read in a 2008 BNF that naloxone doesn't always reverse buprenorphine overdose and that nalorphine does but it said that it would need to be ordered.

A lot of needle exchange programs in England are giving out the Prenoxad brand of naloxone. It comes in a fluorescent orange case, they cost the NHS about £15-£16 per injection.

In the box is a syringe with 2mg naloxone (5 Doses of 400mcg) and 2 blue intramuscular needles. It also contains a form on what to do when someone is ODing.

Try asking your doc' to change the script to Prenoxad or try your local exchange.

Yeah by law paramedic ambulances that carry morphine MUST also carry naloxone but years ago paramedics used to carry Nubian (nalbuphine HCL) which is a partial agonist/antagonist similar to buprenorphine. Due to Its ceiling respiratory depression effects it didn't require narcan (although narcan would still routinely be carried for heroin overdoses).

After Nubian we carried IV tramadol for a while but now exclusively IV morphine 10mg/ml (which is diluted to a strength of 1mg/ml for easy titration) and also 5mg/10ml Oramorph. That plus entanox (50/50 nitrus oxide and oxygen) is about as far as pre-hospital analgesia from a paramedic goes.....