• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Myoclonic jerks from opioids?

Novocaine

Greenlighter
I seem to be developing myoclonic jerks very frequently now when under the influence. I never had any kind of seizure.

I used to get myoclonic jerks every 5-10 seconds for around 15-20 minutes, and that only occurred when I had ingested very high doses of potent anticholingerics.

Tonight I took a very low dose of antihistamines, and the rest were opioids (Codeine, Dihydrocodeine and Morphine). I haven't taken opioids in a few months. Once they had kicked in, I had all the usual effects, but I developed awful jerks. Some of them were so sudden and with a 'huge' jolt it would really startle me, and make my heart skip a beat (the feeling you get in your chest when someone jumps out and scares you). It takes around 45 minutes before they stop and become very infrequent until they go away completely.

Surely this isn't the result from low dose antihistamines? It wasn't even HALF of what I normally take. I took quite a bit of morphine, and with the low tolerance from the break - I wonder if it was a bit too much for my body to cope with?

Why were you taking large doses of anticolingerics and what drug(s) was it? The cause could be the small dose of the antihistamine or opiate, you could try them separately and see if you get the jerks.

The cause could also be anything from low magnesium/vitamin levels to diseases, It's hard to speculate. You should see your doctor, get tested for vitamin deficiencies and general health issues. You don't have to necessarily tell your doctor about your drug use but that might help them identify the problem better.

At the very least start taking a multivitamin and try to eat healthier if you aren't already. If the drugs started the jerks in the first place it might be a good idea to stop for a little while.

I get 'myoclonic jerks' or the sensation of falling when I lie down and close my eyes while on high doses of Codeine. In my opinion it's one of the most fun things about the whole 'high'.

I'm pretty sure it's normal, probably just doing too much that's all.

I get that way from taking tramadol and oddly enough benadryl. With that being said, IME it's a vicious cycle that feeds off itself. One enhances the other which in turn advances itself. I never displayed any negative side effects from DPH until just a handful of months ago and I took it once or twice a week for the last 15 years. However in this case, since morphine doesn't cause seizures like trams can I suggest trying it without the DPH? If you're tolerance is really that low there is no need to take anything to potentiate or synergize with your opiates. :) Enjoy them for what they are my friend!

Let me know how it goes, as I am curious for your situation. I don't hear about people going through this often.

I highly doubt that the Opioids were the catalysts for your Myoclonus. This side-effect would be associated more commonly with the antihistamines that you took.

I usually experience myclonic jerks when I take gabaergic like gabapentin in high dosages. Usually they are mild and sporatic, but sometimes I can get violent ones as well.

I remember laying on a blow-up mattress and getting a jerk so violent it flipped the mattress over with me on it and needless to say I wound up under it.

I haven't had any horrible effects happen when these occur, but if it happened while driving I would be very responsible in knowing what meds are causing them.

By myoclonic jerks do you mean like tonic clinic seizures? I'm very familiar with epilepsy n never hears of myoclonic jerks. You mean like you're just sitting there and sporadically jump a little? Like sudden small jolts?

Me and a friend I used with used to get those from using heroin every day. It was definitely the heroin be cause prior to doing it neither of us would jerk. Now the shit was cut with diphenhydramine so that could definitely be a factor.

Also when I was young and stupid "tripping" on benadryl I would get those too but only at extremely high doses like 1000mg.

As another poster stated I would also get them on gabapentin.

So for what Its worth, that's my story. I still use heroin tho not nearly as much and I don't get them any more (still cut with dph) i don't see why the opiates would be the issue, but I suppose it is possible . the antihistamines would make more sense but at relatively small doses I just can't see that being the issue. The world may never know.

I don't think it's a serious enough issue to be scared about tho. Obviously you don't want it to happen and want to figure out how to fix it, but if you're worried about long term damage I think you can rest easy.

Yes, I assume myoclonic jerks are a type of seizure, apart from I'm fully awake and alert - although somehat drowsy as expected from the opioids.

They are the same type of jerks you get as you're falling asleep and suddenly jolt because you feel like you're falling?

It's not overly worrying me, I just like to be aware of all the effects