Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Myanmar Returns to What Sells: Heroin

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Myanmar Returns to What Sells: Heroin
Thomas Fuller
The New York Times
January 3rd, 2015

BANG LAEM, Myanmar — A decade ago, Myanmar seemed on course to wipe out the opium fields and heroin jungle labs along its eastern border, the notorious Golden Triangle.

Today, valley after valley in these mist-shrouded mountains is covered with resplendent opium poppies, tended by farmers who perch on steep hillsides to harvest the plant’s sticky, intoxicating sap.

Poppy cultivation in Myanmar has nearly tripled since 2006, reaching close to 150,000 acres, according to surveys carried out by the United Nations. Yet even that steep rise fails to capture the full extent of Myanmar’s resurgence as a major player in the global heroin business. Over the last few years, an increasing number of farmers here have produced two opium crops a year, experts say; the second crop is not included in the United Nations surveys.

Growing opium poppies is illegal in Myanmar, but farmers in this remote and desperately poor region say they have few viable options.

“We don’t want to grow poppy our whole lives,” said Sang Phae, 36, a farmer who spent nearly a decade in Thailand and returned with knowledge of modern cultivation techniques. “We know this is not good for society, and other countries don’t like it. But there’s no other way for us now.”

Read the full story here.

Good topic. Is there anyone out there living is SEA at the moment who is on this site? I would love to convo. Im getting tired of Detroit winters and would like to spend my summers here in my city and winters where its warm . Ive been to Northern Thailand a couple of times, Golden Triangle and took a day trip to Burma from Mae Sai but that was 16 years ago. Burma seems to be coming back as a major supplier as they used to be number one before Afghanistan got into the picture. Im also wondering how Laos is doing. Id like to go someplace no one else goes. Vietnam is def on my list as my father was a Marine in Vietnam in 69, Id like to visit where he was. Cambodia seems a little to much like Party Town for ravers but I have a friend there in PP who I would like to visit.

Good topic. Is there anyone out there living is SEA at the moment who is on this site? I would love to convo. Im getting tired of Detroit winters and would like to spend my summers here in my city and winters where its warm . Ive been to Northern Thailand a couple of times, Golden Triangle and took a day trip to Burma from Mae Sai but that was 16 years ago. Burma seems to be coming back as a major supplier as they used to be number one before Afghanistan got into the picture. Im also wondering how Laos is doing. Id like to go someplace no one else goes. Vietnam is def on my list as my father was a Marine in Vietnam in 69, Id like to visit where he was. Cambodia seems a little to much like Party Town for ravers but I have a friend there in PP who I would like to visit.

I've been looking at Phnom Penh lately, in fact. I have a lot of interest in living somewhere in East or Southeast Asia once I finish my bachelor's degree and it would nice to be somewhere where (a) I can get an extended visa without a criminal record check and (b) I can teach English and get paid enough for basic living expenses with just a university degree. It would also be nice to find a place where drug use isn't prosecuted so harshly, and it seems that Cambodia is the country which is the most lax in that regard these days, from what I've read.

Last edited:
No worries, I have some friends who have been to Cambodia and said it is amazing and they have definitely got me excited to go there one day when I get some time to do so.