• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

My mini opioid journey- advice needed please before it gets bad😩

Readyforchange1111

Bluelighter
Hi guys this is gonna probably be boring but I feel all out of sorts because of what I’ve been pumped with and need a bit of advice.(zero opiate tolerance before this)

So to start off for the past week or so I been taking cocodamol 4tabs OTC from the uk so 8mg 4x daily (in one go, at night so can sleep) for
severe wisdom tooth infection while waiting on extraction.

went for extraction (first time EVER having any dental work btw) at dentist under local anaesthetic on Friday. Started off ok was all numb then after an hour of gum cutting, drilling, and pulling the dentist said he had to break the tooth to get it out. So he did. And OH MY GOD. the pain was worse than childbirth x100. One of The broken parts of the tooth got wedged into that main nerve that runs along the jaw and I was in agony. No amount of extra injections fully eased it. He x rayed me again to see what was going on and said he has to send me to the hospital immediately to be put under general anaesthetic to get it out without hurting me because of where the nerve was laying (closer than normal peoples apparently first time in 30 years he’s seen this happen).
So off i went. He called ahead and sent me with a note saying how urgent it is because was an open surgery site. After a 5hour wait it’s now midnight and the anaesthetic has worn off and with my drilled, cut and broken infected tooth I’m in the worst pain of my life to be told no surgeons in till morning and to go home. They gave me 30mg dihydrocodeine. Said to take 1 I took two , took 4 all together in a 6hour window. no sleep all night, sat on sofa and cried until sun came up then straight back to hosp. This is where it gets bad for me.

I don’t know wtf they were doing to me mixing all this. started the morning with oramorph at 6am. Couple hours later an IM Morphine injection, still in pain but drowsy. Then IV morphine twice AND codeine tablet again. Went for surgery at 3pm FINALLY. Then I woke up in recovery with a sore jaw but only like 3/10 pain, I told them this when asked,but the recovery nurse is putting what I found out to be fentanyl in my cannula as I’m talking to her!? It was nice tho so let her keep putting it in till the syringe was empty as was so tired due to no sleep and relaxed from it. Slept a bit. Then woke up to More morphine Iv! Then a few hours later dihydrocodeine again and paracetamol. I feel sick to my stomach hadn’t eaten for two days at this point.
Anyway so last night I was sent home with more dihydrocodeine and antibiotics and slept fine (obviously). today woken up decided to avoid pain meds because of how bad my stomach felt due to the strong antibiotics and all the shit they put in me. Can’t go toilet, can’t eat cause of surgery, feel sick, in pain this evening and taken another dihydrocodeine. I really don’t wanna take any more of this shit .
If I stop completely soon as post surgery pain is gone or taper off over next couple days will i have any kind of WD’s? I know it’s a slippery slope and I feel loads better mentally for having that rotten tooth out but my body feels battered. And I don’t wanna become an addict to anything ever again I climbed out the pits of hell with a coke habit last year... I Can’t and wouldn’t at this point even consider looking for any street drugs and am needle phobic but like I said. I know it starts this way for a lot of opiate addicts.

Any advice on how to get out while I still can without feeling like utter shite ?! .. thinkin I should start by chucking the codeine pills out tomorrow and switching to paracetamol and ibuprofen and just dealing with pain??

They’re a stitch up these pharma companies. Tell u not to take more than 3 days but give u a box of 32 pills !

The dentist I was at was a holistic dentist I had a vitamin C drip in and he was gonna give me olive leaf extract and some clean vitamin c and d3/k2 and other natural stuff for recovery.do a surgical clean and put my stem cells from plasma in extraction site. Gotta wait till weds to see him again for him to do that. he feels so bad about what happened bless him and I’m feeling like shit myself now. Doing iodine and salt water rinses all day long too. Just feelin really anxious and on edge atm.

Last edited:
You only had 2 days of pain meds in your whole life. Even though they gave you 3 or 4 different ones, at different times, you haven't taken them long enough to have any kind of withdrawls. Had it been 2 weeks....maybe. Two days, no problem. Hope your mouth heals up soon.

You only had 2 days of pain meds in your whole life. Even though they gave you 3 or 4 different ones, at different times, you haven't taken them long enough to have any kind of withdrawls. Had it been 2 weeks....maybe. Two days, no problem. Hope your mouth heals up soon.
Well the 7 days prior of the codeine too.. but ok so if I stop ASA pain is reduced I shouldn’t expect to get any kinda sickness/wd symptoms then right? Even my mood or??

Regardless of drug or amount taken it takes weeks/months not days to develop any sort of physical dependence. Psychological is another thing but....

Taking prescribed opioids at given amounts would take months to develop a true addiction or withdrawal.

It's not really something that happens overnight... unless you're talking about heroin which is a different story. Prescribed meds are safe and prescribed for a reason. They can be hard to stop but it's mostly psychological.

I think you are still gonna be fine....even with the 7 days of codeine prior to your mouth surgery so 7 days of codeine and 2 days of other meds is still pretty likely to not cause you any distress once you totally stop taking any opioids. If you have any funny feelings at all ( you have never had WD's because you have never taken opioids ) those funny feelings won't last any longer than a day or 2 at the very most. Might have some anxiety, maybe a little pain, maybe not sleep as well as you usually do but I think you are gonna be fine. I broke a rib last winter ( fell on the ice ) and I took codeine for 7 days myself and had no issues at all when the script was gone.

As others have already wrote you may gave developed psychological addiction but real physical dependence takes a bit more to develop once you just start taking opioids. If you were taking 3-4 weeks every day than withdrawal could become possible. At this point you could have some shitty days just as you would have if you used alcohol for a week. But as you wouldn't become physically dependent on alcohol in two weeks you are not physically dependent on opioids after a week or 10 days. You could have some rebound anxiety and pain will be felt more intense when opioids are stopped, obviously. Consider what comes if you stop now more as a hangover than withdrawal. Of course , not knowing how miserable opioid withdrawal is you could convince yourself that you are going through one. Dont do that to yourself. Try to walk away from opioids before it really gets ugly. Easier said than done but I hope that you will not have to learn it the hard way. Take care!

I agree with the other replies, you'll be fine. You were taking codeine for 7 days before, but only 32mg in a whole day... most people using codeine problematically are taking 30mg in one dose at a BARE minimum. As others said, it takes weeks or even a month or more of steady daily use to become physically dependent, unless you have been addicted to opiates before (the kindling effect makes it so that you will get re-dependent again much easier the more you have been dependent in the past). 9 days of opiate use with no past history isn't going to produce withdrawals, even if you had been using heavily for 9 days. You'll be fine. :) Just make sure you don't keep using them. You may feel a little rebound anxiety or insomnia, and of course the pain will return, if you're still in pain, but that's normal and not withdrawals. It may be tempting to take a little if you find yourself unable to sleep or something, but just know that that sort of side effect will last a day or two at most, if it even happens.

That's a large dose of opiates in a small time frame, especially for someone with no tolerance. But if you weren't previously addicted or tolerant to opiates then you won't need to taper, just stop taking them.

The best thing to do is switch to OTC non opioid pain meds as soon as you can. Chuck the pills as soon as you can quell the pain with OTC stuff.

In my experience it takes at least 3 weeks to get any withdrawal and even then its just a runny nose. 6+ months is when it gets serious.