• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

My high is changing

Firstly I am not a doctor of anything or a scientist, chemist or seventh day adventist.
Could it be that your body is metabolising the mdma to mda at a faster rate. Or that in fact what you have is mda?

Experiencing something like you, I don't like the psychedelic about MDMA and the small hallucinations that you get, even from lower doses and taking MDMA nowadays just makes me confused and not pleaseant at all; that's why I quit using MDMA or atleast don't use it as much as I've done in the past. In the beginning it was a very pleasant rush, nowadays I just expect a nice roll when I ingest MDMA but I don't get a nice rush at all and it could be because i've done the drug many times before.

Last time I used the drug, I was supposed to hang out with some friends dropping bombs of the drug, but I end up leaving the apartment just to walk it out (the effects of the drug) because I didn't like the rush at all when it hit me, so I had to leave my friends who offered me joints and party :)

Even after almost a year without really using MDMA I don't get the "pleaseant" effects of the MDMA anymore because I've used it too much in the past. MDMA is not a nice drug at all, especially if you've used it too much - that's my opinion, although I have had good experiences with the drug, it kinda frightens me this day today.

And yes, my high have also changed each time I've used the drug and I already built up tolerance few months after using the drug for the first time, which will soon be 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Maybe there's a possibility that it's one of the mdxx substances? There's more than just mdma and mda, but I do remember an informed poster that said it's very unlikely because it is (I think, might have forgotten) more difficult to synthesize...making it pointless for the chemist, maybe except for the lulz.

Although the duration doesn't seem to match up, trust me, it's definitely possible to roll for much longer than 6 hours off of mdma. Especially if the set and setting is great, or if you mix it, tolerance is way down/haven't rolled in a while/first few times rolling, big dose/re-dose, music/lights/rolling tricks, or all of the above.

But these are just possibilities. A lab test can tell you definitively if you choose to go that route.

Testing kits (marquis/mecke/mandellin) are not ultimate truths. Maybe your high is changing because your product is changing. There are so many things it could be and still go purple to black. How can you be so sure that it's M? Do you other people you know take it and experience the normal effects?

8-12 hours is crazy if you get mdma the peak will be 2 hours if you lucky i used to get those long 8 hours high with pipe bombs :( not fun

All of the below will ignore the possibility that this substance is not purely MDMA or that it might be some sort of metabolism problem.

Psychedelics most classically work through a 5-HT2A-mGlu2/3 heterodimer, I suppose if enough serotonin ended up at 2A or glutamate you could get mushroom like visuals. This could be a matter of over density of some type of serotonin etc. in a certain area of the brain. 5-HT2A antagonists block the affects of psychedelics.

Would you say you have any level of HPPD? Something in that range (maybe ever so slightly in the spectrum of schizophrenia but just in a visual-snow/tracers etc. sense) and this could be worsened by MDMA?

People do get various visuals without having ever touched a drug, maybe there is something about your personal brain chemistry that is affected by the increased dopamine/adrenaline which if I am understanding correctly lasts a lot longer than the acute serotonergic effects (Just trying point out the discrepancy of trip lengths maybe not relating to a different substance but if your visuals etc. are more related to dopamine/adrenaline it does explain a bit). Maybe it could happen with just a serotonergic though, serotonin certainly has enough connections with all the different brain cells and the extra stimulation could be "floating around" in the brain for a while after the MDMA is gone.

I suppose experimentation with different drugs might narrow down what pathways this happens through. I mean dopamine is classically associated with hallucinations but MDMA is so freaking complex unfortunately, along with serotonin.
I was also under the impression one of MDMA's "therapeutic effects" is that it helps increase dopamine release long term.

HPPD is still something of a mystery but I wouldn't be surprised if it's on some level related and would just get bad enough to come to the surface with drug use. Does this happen with other dopaminergics/adrenergics? Does anything like it happen when you miss a night of sleep too? (Classically makes HPPD type visuals worse)

Last edited:
Well, if we were to assume what he took was actually mdma (and nothing else really...when mixed with other drugs, it can make the "roll" last longer), then it's not impossible to think he rolled that long. A very unlikely scenario, especially since he doesn't usually roll for that length of time, and a lab test can tell you for sure what it is. It's all guess work from here, but there are some pretty good ones. :)

All of the below will ignore the possibility that this substance is not purely MDMA or that it might be some sort of metabolism problem.

Psychedelics most classically work through a 5-HT2A-mGlu2/3 heterodimer, I suppose if enough serotonin ended up at 2A or glutamate you could get mushroom like visuals. This could be a matter of over density of some type of serotonin etc. in a certain area of the brain. 5-HT2A antagonists block the affects of psychedelics.

Would you say you have any level of HPPD? Something in that range (maybe ever so slightly in the spectrum of schizophrenia but just in a visual-snow/tracers etc. sense) and this could be worsened by MDMA?

People do get various visuals without having ever touched a drug, maybe there is something about your personal brain chemistry that is affected by the increased dopamine/adrenaline which if I am understanding correctly lasts a lot longer than the acute serotonergic effects (Just trying point out the discrepancy of trip lengths maybe not relating to a different substance but if your visuals etc. are more related to dopamine/adrenaline it does explain a bit). Maybe it could happen with just a serotonergic though, serotonin certainly has enough connections with all the different brain cells and the extra stimulation could be "floating around" in the brain for a while after the MDMA is gone.

I suppose experimentation with different drugs might narrow down what pathways this happens through. I mean dopamine is classically associated with hallucinations but MDMA is so freaking complex unfortunately, along with serotonin.
I was also under the impression one of MDMA's "therapeutic effects" is that it helps increase dopamine release long term.

HPPD is still something of a mystery but I wouldn't be surprised if it's on some level related and would just get bad enough to come to the surface with drug use. Does this happen with other dopaminergics/adrenergics? Does anything like it happen when you miss a night of sleep too? (Classically makes HPPD type visuals worse)

Don't have schitzophrenia, but I have a history of extensive (borderline binge) use of psychedelics and MDMA. Sober I see things slightly breathe and rotate when I unfocus. I have slight HPPD.

I should also note that I usually take MDMA around 10-2 and don't get to sleep that night.

Testing kits (marquis/mecke/mandellin) are not ultimate truths. Maybe your high is changing because your product is changing. There are so many things it could be and still go purple to black. How can you be so sure that it's M? Do you other people you know take it and experience the normal effects?

I am 1000% sure of my product. It is tested, it is GS/MS, it's a common batch my friends and many people have tried and purchased. It's funny how rather than try to offer advice everybody just complains that the product is untested.

Not everybody is blissfully unaware of what they are buying and by including the (tested) tag I sort of expect answers that are conditional to if this was pure MDMA.

Your description sounds exactly like what happened to me, apart from the length of the roll. Up until 4 years ago I never hallucinated on (tested) MDMA, then one night I mistakenly took a waaaaaaaaaay too high dose, which ended in insanely intense hallucinations and ever since I hallucinate on MDMA every time if I dose 150mg or higher. Do you smoke weed while rolling? Because I have noticed this seems to greatly amplify the hallucinogenic properties for me, without smoking I have light visuals, and if I then smoke a spliff they increase to on par with a heavy acid trip

8-12 hours is weird though, perhaps from first effects until the last signs of having taken a drug have left your body, but the roll itself being 8-12 hours is strange. Are you by any chance on any prescription medication?

I am 1000% sure of my product. It is tested, it is GS/MS, it's a common batch my friends and many people have tried and purchased. It's funny how rather than try to offer advice everybody just complains that the product is untested.

Not everybody is blissfully unaware of what they are buying and by including the (tested) tag I sort of expect answers that are conditional to if this was pure MDMA.

That's because your reaction is usually caused by an impure/mixed product, or entirely something else. (If you really got it lab tested, then there's no argument).

Rolling for 8-12 hours, without adding anything, means that it hit you that hard. You can take re-doses or stagger them and roll for that long too, so it's not out of the question. Also if you're sensitive enough and the situation is right physically, mentally and tolerance-wise, then it's possible to roll for that length of time.

24 hours or more would be highly suspect, particularly if any other effects haven't decreased. But 8-12 hours isn't that otherworldly.

I wonder if this is something in the HPPD spectrum (similar mechanism anyways). There is a possibly dopamine/excitability mechanism at work. HPPD is likely related to an inhibition of COMT, an enzyme that normally breaks down some neurotransmitters. With COMT inhibited and hence not breaking down excess dopamine and such there could be a lot more dopamine/excitability than usual in some part of the brain and hence the symptoms. A lot of excess dopamine is classically associated with schizophrenia/hallucinations.

A shortage of COMT in whatever brain region could explain the lengthy trip, the dopamine would stick around for quite a while without COMT getting rid of it.

I should also mention that mild OEVs/CEVs are common when the brain is trying to enter its very first stages of sleep, and that you can not only begin the first part of sleep while still fairly awake but your brain will eventually be essentially forced into a very light sleep stage the more sleep deprived you are. If you are near acid/shroom visuals then I don't think this contributing too much though lol.

Last edited:
Some people tend to roll for quite a lot of time longer than your average person. A friend of mine, she rolls for like 5 hours sometimes with half a pill. (Not tested personally, checked on pill reports, all tested pills in this country are MDxx.) The love/empathy is there for less than 5 hours but the energy and euphoria is still there and she can't stop dancing.

Half a pill where I live contains anywhere from 30 to 75MG MDMA/MDA. So if for example you are taking like 150MG of pure lab tested GS/MS tested crystal, I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

I thought I would add that at higher doses I think the body converts more MDMA into MDA and this could account for some of the effects.

^He said it's been GCMS tested so MDA is out of the question. I feel cotchya might be on to something here...