Mental Health My father

Quickfixgrrl

Bluelighter
I just came across my dad's daily medication. He was diagnosed with Bipolar 1, 3 years ago. I have watched his rapid decline. I have held his hand and tried calming him before the 10 sessions of Electric shock therapy they put him through. I have advocated for him, pleaded with teams of psychs and doctors and have had him admitted to the pysch ward more times than I can count.
I usually stay overnight with him at his house a couple of times a month, encourage him to eat/bathe and also clean his house. Today I made his bed. What I saw absolutely fucking gutted me.. he spends probably 23 hours of the day in his bed and when I removed the bottom sheet, the mattress was caved in where he lies, the springs protruding through.
He was diagnosed with Bipolar late in life, aged 67. It was also found that he had brain damage due to alcohol abuse his entire life and scars on his brain resulted from strokes, none of which he had showed evidence of having.
A psych nurse visits him once a week and reports back that he's "ok", he just needs to "try", re; bathing regularly and getting out of bed. I argue that the illness prevents him from simply trying, it has depleted every ounce of motivation he has. He isn't manic or delusional anymore, the medication helped alleviate that aspect of the disease, but severely, morbidly depressed. The doctors tell me that treating that depression is a slippery slope as it could "swing" him back into the delusional state of mind.
Today I arrived and, as always, used my key to let myself in. I don't step inside without calling out to him first, because the paralyzing fear that he won't answer stops me in my tracks.
Today I called out numerous times and the relief of finally hearing "is that you"? coming from his bedroom was like... fuck.. he's alive.
I'm at a loss. I've found him previously in such a state that I've called ambulances before.
Today I sought a referral for a new psychiatric assessment for him (while seeing a doctor for my own mental state of affairs) and just hope someone finally fucking listens.

Last edited:
Do you mind me asking what medication your friend takes? And do they have Bi-polar 1 or 2?

Do you mind me asking what medication your friend takes? And do they have Bi-polar 1 or 2?

Im not exactly sure if it's 1 or 2. He gets bad bouts of mania where he has been hospitalized to lows that used to last for a while.
He is on seroquel , abilify and valium

Sorry for what you're going through, im loosing my father so i know how awful the helpless feeling is. I really hope things work out for you both. Don't forget to take care of yourself as well. We often forget ourselves when involved so closely with anothers pain

Yeah definitely. Seeing that today is what floored me.

Well there are three meds that are directly related to your dad's psychological/neurological conditions, the rest are for what I assume are his additional medical needs.
Might seem a lot, but certainly not an unusual amount for elder patients nowadays.

that’s a tough as fuck situation. even though i’m well into adulthood, my parents are still my pillars. i can’t imagine how scary life would be if they were not strong when i’m weak. you got my thoughts and sympathy.

[removed what i am unsure of]

well done getting him the referral.

Last edited:
He already has the duloxetine for depression in his medication btw, so he's not totally untreated, might be more of a matter of dose adjustement or trying a different anti-depressive?

Thank you, kind hearts, for your replies ❤ It is at least cathartic to get this all out, it's hard to explain just how isolating and scary it is when our parents become the dependant ones..

@Lucy20, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I know the feeling of fear and not knowing what tomorrow will bring, but cannot imagine how awful, how devastating it must be for you. Sending you light and strength. Give yourself time, I mean time away from the everyday trauma that this must bring into your world. In other words, be sure to take some time to just enjoy something, guilt free, even if only for a day. You need be strong but we are all human and only capable of so much.. it's tough as hell, I know 😔 Go gently x

@hydroazuanacaine I'm also well into adulthood, yet definitely still need my mumma 100%. I have 2 kids and am 37, but fuck.... I NEED my parents. It's human nature. Thank you for your supportive words ❤

@Jack123456 thanks for your insight. I know that they had him on Lexapro and Lithium at one point, I didn't know they'd simply swapped meds without informing me. I have always been told that having him take antidepressants would be an extreme risk.

I have concocted a plan. My dad has this "pysch nurse" who is assigned to look out for him, visit him weekly and report back to doctors. I dislike this man. I felt it early on when in his presence, he seemed frustrated when visiting my dad in my presence.. He was abrupt with him and continually used the phrase "you just have to TRY"....
I have spoken with him many times voicing my concerns, he mostly fobs it off or simply tells me that he'll bring up my concerns at the next meeting with the head doctors. Nothing EVER eventuates.
My dad resembles someone straight out of a concentration camp. He had untreated conjunctivitis in his eyes and as I have moved a fair distance away now and don't currently have a car, I've been unable to visit my dad as regularly as I used to. So I'd rely on the feedback from this fucking cunt pysch nurse. So, my brother saw my dad last week and immediately rushed him to the hospital. He hadn't bathed for weeks, was full of this conjunctivitis and just neglected. Long story short... next Tuesday this little man, my dad's supposed nurse, will come for his weekly visit. And this fucker is ALWAYS late, too... my dad requests early morning house calls as awaiting the visit is too much for him to handle. He likes to get it over and done with so he can go back to bed 😔 I'm wondering what this fucker is doing when he turns up over an hour late.. my dad is his first patient of the day, 10am is the earliest appointment he offers. And knowing that my dad has OCD as well and he doesn't even call to say he'll be late...
Sorry, I digress... we (my 3 brothers and my mother) will be there, without warning, for the next house appointment. And my brothers are not the type of men you'd choose to get into bullshit with 😁 I'm going to confront the situation and ask this quack how the fuck he sleeps at night knowing he's neglecting his duties and leaving my dad to fucking rot. We pay him to be there to check in when we cannot.
I need to stop ranting now... this is too much..

Sounds like a great plan, @Quickfixgrrl. I appreciate that you’re in such a tough spot.
Im not exactly sure if it's 1 or 2. He gets bad bouts of mania where he has been hospitalized to lows that used to last for a while.

If your friends has mania, it’s type 1. Hypomania, on the other hand, is symptomatic of type 2.

Obviously the Duloxetine is not working. He needs to be tried on a different anti-depressant.
Sounds to me like he should really be in hospital; nobody should have to live like that.

Vitamins
Betavit - thiamine, often used in alcoholics
Folic acid - as above, also anemia, dep
Cholecalciferol - vitamin d, common

Cholesterol
Atorvastatin - 40 good dose, understandable after strokes

Senna / laxative

Anti-seizure / mood stabilizer
Sodium valproate 1000 mg, avg dose, depends on his weight / age / renal (can check levels)

Atypical antipsychotic / adjunct in bipolar, ocd
Olanzapine, 12.5 mg total
Often used with mania, some depression. Could be something to talk about but you said he tried other stuff. 5-20mg range approx.

Antidepressant/SNRI
Duloxetine

Doesn't seem out of range for at least a 70 year old with a history of alcoholism, evidence of strokes, and significant mental history including bipolar with ECT treatments. Dose adjustments on age and clearance could be considered. No anti-hypertensive medications or listed blood thinners.

Doesn't seem like the antidepressant is working in the context of his medicines/history. Could there be stroke damage / other factors (alcohol dementia/apathy) contributing to this apparent depressive behavior is another question.

So sorry you are going through this and have to care for him like that. It is good you are able to talk in places like this. You sound like a good advocate and hopefully you can make some progress on getting him re-evaluated. Take care (of him as you can and yourself as well!)