• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc My doc wants to switch up my meds

BK38

Bluelight Crew
I've been taking 400mg Carbamazepine at night for awhile now. My doc now wants to switch me to quetiapine 150mg (3 ×50mg per day). She says her superior doesn't think I tolerate the former drug well? Any advice, experience, contraindications I should worry about? I have a PTSD diagnosis and suspected BPD2. Thoughts gang?

*bump* because I need to make some decisions

I'm an idiot and just realized this is Seroquel. Nvm. I'm leaning towards a "fuck no except for sleep."

I'm scripted both Tegretol CR & Seroquel XR. I asked my doctor if I could stop taking Tegretol and he referrer me to a neurologist. The neurologist ordered an EEG and a brain scan. If he's happy with the results, I taper down over a period of (6) months, and the law here dictates that I hand in my driver's license for the duration of those six months "all meds with anti epileptic features are subject to this law". I dunno if I am gonna go with it. I cannot live for (6) months without a driver's license. I have a career and a family with kids, plus Alberta is extremely cold in the winter!

As you can see, it's a complicated process. It's not like you stop taking one med one day and start taking the other. You might wanna discuss this with your doctor.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you taking it for?

The tegretol is an extra protection against convulsion, for mood stabilisation and as an added barrier against a PTSD attack/psychosis. I'm scripted up to 50mg valium per day for the PTSD/some GAD too (for approximately 2 years benzo wise).
I'm scripted both Tegretol CR & Seroquel XR. I asked my doctor if I could stop taking Tegretol and he referrer me to a neurologist. The neurologist ordered an EEG and a brain scan. If he's happy with the results, I taper down over a period of (6) months, and the law here dictates that I hand in my driver's license for the duration of those six months "all meds with anti epileptic features are subject to this law". I dunno if I am gonna go with it. I cannot live for (6) months without a driver's license. I have a career and a family with kids, plus Alberta is extremely cold in the winter!

As you can see, it's a complicated process. It's not like you stop taking one med one day and start taking the other. You might wanna discuss this with your doctor.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you taking it for?

The tegretol is an extra protection against convulsion, for mood stabilisation and as an added barrier against a PTSD attack/psychosis. I'm scripted up to 50mg valium per day for the PTSD/some GAD too (for approximately 2 years benzo wise).
Thank you for your quick response.

I envy your Diazepam script.

I just want you to be careful with Tegretol, it's not the kinda drug that you stop on your own.

I'm leaning towards a "fuck no except for sleep."
It's pretty good for that IMO. I'm bummed out I recently ran out of my seroquel script.

Its the only AP I have no problem with taking. It has a relatively short half life and doesn't really mess much with other drugs as long as you stop taking it a day beforehand.

Seroquel is great for sleep during withdrawal.

I had a shrink who suspected I had BPD2 and gave me oxcarbazepine. I did not react well to it... but it also turns out I don't have BPD2, or at least I don't think I do.

Thank you for your quick response.

I envy your Diazepam script.

I just want you to be careful with Tegretol, it's not the kinda drug that you stop on your own.
Good to know, thx. Only been on the tegretol for about a month and change. I'm not too too worried about cessation.

Good to know, thx. Only been on the tegretol for about a month and change. I'm not too too worried about cessation.
Well then it's better now than later. Tegretol cessation can be challenging after a few years of usage.

As for the Seroquel, it's almost the best way to go to sleep. You wake up groggy the next day but that depends on your dose.

It's pretty good for that IMO. I'm bummed out I recently ran out of my seroquel script.

Its the only AP I have no problem with taking. It has a relatively short half life and doesn't really mess much with other drugs as long as you stop taking it a day beforehand.

Seroquel is great for sleep during withdrawal.

I had a shrink who suspected I had BPD2 and gave me oxcarbazepine. I did not react well to it... but it also turns out I don't have BPD2, or at least I don't think I do.
I was scripted seroquel 100mg at night when going through heroin WDs in my 2nd rehab. It knocks you out for sure. The drug had me completely zombified. Like 20iq pt drop minimal, retarded motor response etc. I dunno, maybe I can just do a low dose at night?

Well then it's better now than later. Tegretol cessation can be challenging after a few years of usage.

As for the Seroquel, it's almost the best way to go to sleep. You wake up groggy the next day but that depends on your dose.
See above ^

I was scripted seroquel 100mg at night when going through heroin WDs in my 2nd rehab. It knocks you out for sure. The drug had me completely zombified. Like 20iq pt drop minimal, retarded motor response etc. I dunno, maybe I can just do a low dose at night?
yes 100mg is overkill for sleep

12.5mg-25mg is a good sleep dose, still knocks you out, but doesn't linger and make you zombie the next day.

also <50mg doesn't really act as an antipsychotic, you wake up the next day feeling normal not lobotomized

I take a 100mg XR every night, and I don't think that's a high dose.

Seroquel is the only drug that I can "sometimes" go to sleep on while on a smaller dose of meth.

I take a 100mg XR every night, and I don't think that's a high dose.

Seroquel is the only drug that I can "sometimes" go to sleep on while on a smaller dose of meth.
Yeah, I'm not doing any stimulants bar Caffeine. Seroquel just seems to hit me like a truck and they're scripting 150mg a day!

That's overkill imo. Maybe I'll just stash the extra and go with a lower dose and see how I respond. It's a useful drug to have in the arsenal, but not one I really want to be taking every day given my previous experience with Seroquel.

Yeah, I'm not doing any stimulants bar Caffeine. Seroquel just seems to hit me like a truck and they're scripting 150mg a day!

That's overkill imo. Maybe I'll just stash the extra and go with a lower dose and see how I respond. It's a useful drug to have in the arsenal, but not one I really want to be taking every day given my previous experience with Seroquel.
I take a 100mg only, I double it when I am coming down from a strong stimulant in order to get some sleep. I can't stay awake for extended periods of time like I used to.

Stashing the extra would be a good idea, as you never know when you'll need it.

I would avoid the seroquel unless you absolutely need it. Plus, seroquel is hardly a substitute for carbamazepine, so not fully understanding the logic behind this switch.

50mg of seroquel 3x a day will leave you sleepy as fuck 24/7 until you get used to it. That said 150mg isn't a particularly high dose, but I would avoid taking it unless it's absolutely necessary. While 150mg isn't high enough to fully blockade dopamine receptors (in particular D2), it will still dampen dopaminergic activity to a degree, which should be avoided unless that is something you truly need in a therapeutic sense.

I do like seroquel though. Seroquel is the only antipsychotic that I will consume, but I only use it as a sleep aid (usually 25mg or less). At these doses it behaves mostly as an antihistamine, but also has antiadrenergic and some other effects at this dose. I also like the strong appetite enhancing effects.

On a side note, the absolute best way to use seroquel as a sleep aid is to chew it up and hold under the tongue (sublingual). This makes it kick in much faster, and also makes it shorter lasting -- thus reducing unwanted sleepiness/hangover the following day.