• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

My curiorsity

joanneallison

Greenlighter
I'm curious if a brief exposure to x-ray radiation can prompt certain chemicals to react or degrade. While intentionally creating a crystal mesh or matrix with molecules of multiple substances oriented for radiation-induced reactions is challenging, could traces of solvents or a notable presence of impurities lead to some level of reaction, even after a short exposure to x-rays?

Hey @joanneallison :) A belated welcome to the forums, coming your way in 3... 2... 1... WELCOME!

Starting just from a position of logic here, you would need to be more specific with your question. Are you asking if x-rays are applied to an inert substance in vitro or "out of the body" or are we talking about in vivo chemicals already in your body that are reacting to these x-rays?

From a more practical position, this question is pretty far beyond what we are capable of handling here. We're not neuroscientists, we're basically just drug addicts who coincidentally like learning about our drugs. This would be a question to pose to a physicist/physician/chemist or some combination of the 3.

We know that x-rays have a wide range of effects on organic matter. They are potentially dangerous, yes. In the world of modern medicine, which is where this fits in, x-ray usage is pretty much down to a precise science. We know how much people can tolerate before damage is done. Precautions are taken (lead aprons and such for instance), the time exposed to the radiation is kept to a minimum and getting an x-ray is essentially harmless.

It would be a pretty crazy revelation to find out you were being pumped with enough x-ray radiation to change the chemical processes of your body in a way that is subjectively noticeable to you. That being said, if you're concern is regarding having had an x-ray, I'm sure you're fine and no, there isn't any data to imply that drugs in your system are going to act differently following an x-ray.

If you're talking about exposing drugs to x-rays or sometehing like that, I'm really not sure. The better question would be why are you exposing drugs to x-rays in the first place. The answer to the latter would probably negate the need to answer the former.

Anyway, I'm happy to leave this open for a tick, just give us some more detail about what you're trying to figure out.