View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals my cactus has a disease!!! Calling all cactus lovers

Bare_head

Bluelighter
hey guys, anyone know much about cactus's in here? i have a problem with one of my sanpedro

i need to repot them coming up but one has some kind of rot? can anyone tell me what it may be? no searches are finding anything conclusive, wonder if anyone had any experiences with this sort of thing?

cactus.jpg

so the one to our left looks like its getting this sort of disease, any ideas what it may be? and if its ok to eat still? =D

looks like a mildew....the one on the right, dab that white stuff there with a qtip dipped in alcohol - it wont hurt them - and see if it cleans it up

the one on left kinda looks over-watered too

i like to run my cacti in a coco coir / perlite mix - something that's aerated and dries quick

Last edited:
can i get that mix in B+Q/home depot sort of places? was meaning to get some cactus soil/ perlite or whatever (what is coco coir)

So its just regular mildew yeah it does sound like it now you mentioned that tbh didnt think of that actually

Thanks again for the reply its much appreciated

Last edited:
Im not sure what B+Q is....im in the US

if you go to a hydroponic shop, ya know one of the places that sells equipment for growing weed, they'll have high quality coco/perlite mixes - call one up and ask what brands do they have - im pretty familiar with them all so you can come back and ask - anything with a Dutch seal of approval is excellent quality

coco coir is the husk from a coconut - its an excellent medium that's the perfect ph and it dries quick so it's more forgiving if you over-water - i put all of my cacti and succulents in it

san pedros can handle extra water but i still only water mine once a week at the most - are you keeping them by a damp window sill?

yeah been leaving the window open some days there and out the back definitely gets quite wet our country moisture totally surrounds the building - it's in the air, in the ground and regularly falls out of the sky

so that will for sure be playing a factor, i been lazy where i put them tbh . was hoping to eat them but its kind of gotten a lil sacred to me, i cant find my peyote seeds that i got last time i was in amsterdam so im keeping these in spite :D

Where would be the best place for them?

Would the scrony one be ok to injest? i will give the qtip a go, the funny thing is i have a non psychedelic one next to it and that appears to have a similar sort of thing now growing on it too. and the one that looks ok (have been watering once per week or less, thought they would be ok going some weeks without being a cacti, but telling the truth i didnt read much into how to care for these babies, and one of them is paying the price for my lack of care :cry:

Yeah i can get some perlite actually. i can get a special cactus mix too , would that also work i presume? B+Q is probably equiv to home depot or something so probably cant get perlite or coco coir there i guess .

They definitely do the cacti mixes there as i have just checked https://www.diy.com/departments/westland-cacti-succulent-compost-4l/5023377006210_BQ.prd

any suggestions welcome, so perlite will work better than this cacti mix i guess? what about pebbles ? i know one my friends has used this method before but not for cacti, similar sort of thing to the perlite though i imagine

reading some they seem to say spider mites are a possibility,, my mate just sent me a link to a youtube link about something that sounds interesting aswell as it does look similar to that corkiness she mentions where the skin looks orange, i have not seen any webbing i might get the magnifying glass out.

She says neem oil will get rid of them and treat them. both seem for sure possible though with where i have them.

Best places to keep them aswell? i could actually put them anywhere i have some space for this just been lazy really and depression/ gambling addiction got me bad to even care about my lil babies.

thanks again guys

sorry i didn't get a notification on this thread - idk why i dont get them sometimes...

i don't think it's spider mites....you can see them with your eyes...the only mites you cant that are a menace are broad mites and russet mites - you need a 100x scope for them and they're bastards

don't spray that thing with neem - spider mites ride surf boards on neem and flip you off in the process...but i still don't think you have mites

i was thinking maybe mealy bugs but i don't think that either - that's why i said to dab that one with alcohol just to see - the alcohol kills them but doesnt hurt the plant

it's not easy to extract san pedros - seems like not an easy task - so i just like them as pets now

id probably toss that one on the left to be honest - you can cut that other one in half and have 2 plants again anyway

but yea im in seattle so i understand wet too - they definitely don't like it, so you really gotta let your soil dry out - gotta remember that they already store moisture in them

go there

Are you watering them too much? Are they getting enough sunlight?
not really watering them that much, say they get ok sunlight, just like any normal flower would in a house on a windowsill would i guess.

thanks everyone, i am tempted to try extract whatever is in the ugly one :D

not really watering them that much, say they get ok sunlight, just like any normal flower would in a house on a windowsill would i guess.

thanks everyone, i am tempted to try extract whatever is in the ugly one :D
Cacti, succulents, etc. need sunlight but too much is not good.

I used to grow aloe, other succulents-I think it was a Jade plant and other types-as well as non-psychoactive cacti and if they get too much sun they wilt or turn yellow. So I give them shade or make the room dark for three days or a week, before putting them in the sun or watering again. It depends upon the type of plant, species, where you live, etc.

Last edited:
let me know if you ever succesfully make an extract

but let me also say, if that thing has mold or fungus, you probably don't wanna be ingesting any of that, right?

Yeah true. What about just getting the inside flesh out of it? Or would it probably be going through it? Gonna try qtip. Swear i was looking other night and it looked like it had soem tiny things crawling 😲😩

Yeah true. What about just getting the inside flesh out of it? Or would it probably be going through it? Gonna try qtip. Swear i was looking other night and it looked like it had soem tiny things crawling 😲😩

Oh really? keep looking then - you're not seeing anything now tho? that's kinda weird....maybe scales?

I was a bit stoned at the time. I need to gst up close later. I have to head out now but will be back later and take a proper gander. Qtipped with some alcohol. will most alcohol be sufficient? I used isopropynol

I was a bit stoned at the time. I need to gst up close later. I have to head out now but will be back later and take a proper gander. Qtipped with some alcohol. will most alcohol be sufficient? I used isopropynol

yes - isopropynol - the 70 %

you can even mist the whole cactus with it - won't hurt it at all

if you had spider mites, you'd see them and they'll start to web - it is possible....do you have other plants in the house?

and if you press on the pale spots, are they soft?

yfHzUJ8l.jpg

there's few of my san pedro's - the big one was a cut somebody gave me and the 2 little ones are from seed...i have another one but he's on another window sill

sup with your catci?