View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

MXE - Seratonin

trimboat

Greenlighter
Greetings all. Havent tried MXE yet, but I'm waiting on some soon. Just had a question.

Well heres some background first actually

in 2012 I was diagnosed with epilepsy due to abusing DXM in high doses while i was on zoloft(Sertraline)

bad mistake, wish I had done my research. The night it happened I had very bad seratonin syndrome and didnt know what was going on, ate about 40 generic gel caps of robo, containing only DXM.

Seizures convulsions and the whole 9 yards , shud have went to the hospital but didnt. Ever since that night I've been plagued with epilepsy. Luckily I have it under control (Taking 500 mg Lamictal XR daily) and I havent had a seizure in a few years. I believe I have a mild case of Epilepsy but anyway,

I can do ketamine, which is a dissociative, and be fine. Have done high doses and never had a problem. Won't even bother with DXM because I'm afraid of fucking my head up even more and having a seizure. So this leads me to believe that even though both ketamine and DXM are both dissociatives, they act on serotonin in different ways.

my question - Does MXE act on seretonin the way DXM does? Because if so this would be dangerous for me. I'd still try it, in very small doses, which I think i would be fine if I did that, but I need to have a benzo on hand in case anything bad happens.

Anyone know the answer to my question? Thanks : )

Ketamine doesn't act on serotonin... MXE like DXM is a sertonin reuptake inhibitor. I believe out of the two DXM is the more potent one than in that regard. Have you taken anything else that works on serotonin (MDMA/MDA, x-APBs, 4-FA or something along those lines), since that DXM incident? I'd tread carefully with MXE if it is indeed serotonin release you've been sensitized to...

I have taken MDMA (Tested) MDA(Tested) and Methylone, along with a few other unidentified cathinones I'm sure, without problems. Same with LSD and Psilocybin.

The only other drugs I've had problems with are tramadol and lyrica. Both have given me seizures since the incident.
Thanks for the reply.

Are you getting any effect from dissociatives with that dose of lamictal? I thought lamotrigine was supposed to block out the effects of NMDAR antagonists?

What is tramadol's connection with seretonin? If you did mdma and were okay, MXE should be fine because I highly doubt it affects seretonin levels more than MDMA.

Tramadol is an SRI and has been known to cause serotonin syndrome and since MXE is also an SRI...maybe some caution is in order...?

^ tl;dr

In addition methoxetamine and PCP and its analogues displayed appreciable affinities for the serotonin transporter

It doesn't go into detail as to what role though which is kind of key. I doubt that MXE is a releaser, it does not have any releaser hangover and besides that, DXM isn't a releaser either it's a totally non-selective reuptake inhibitor which is what makes it problematic with so many things and seeing that MXE has appreciable affinity for SERT as well, I'm willing to bet that it's the same type as DXM which means we have yet another dissociative with messy interactions. (I went and read the results and it does indeed look like that's what we have I'll have to be careful with MXE - I'm on my phone right now so I can't pull numbers but I am pretty sure it's got not even a quarter or possibly even an eighth the affinity that DXM does and it lacks the Sigma and other mess that DXM has)

Are metabolites known for MXE? Because if MXE has the same serotonin properties DXM does it is truly special because DXM itself is not much of an NMDA antagonist and its mostly DXO responsible for the dissociative effects.

And wow those 3-methoxy PCP analogs look downright nasty! Won't ever be touching those!

I wish they had included DXM and DXO in that study just for reference purposes.

Anyway, the affinity for NMDA is so much higher that serotonin should not really be a concern until some pretty high doses. But always exercise caution.

Last edited:
Binding to the SERT means it at least blocks it (you can't agonize a transport site x)). I also doubt that it reverses the transport like releasers do, this requires TAAR1 agonism as well. Not sure if MXE has ever been screened for that, but it seems unlikely it'd have any affinity for it.

OP, you've taken some of the strongest serotonin releasers out there and not had seizures, looks like it is something else in DXM's profile that causes you to seize now. Seeing as MXE is at least somewhat similar, I'd still advise you to tread carefully...

Anyway, the affinity for NMDA is so much higher that serotonin should not really be a concern until some pretty high doses. But always exercise caution.

Nevertheless MXE's serotonergic effects are not negligible as illustrated by negative interactions from combining MXE with certain serotonergic drugs. Just check the MXE combination subthread's OP.

In my opinion MXE has suspicious secondary effects if you consider dissociative / NMDA antagonistic action the primary. I'd advise the TS to avoid it if possible or tread with serious caution if not.

I've never had a seizure before, but I'm pretty sure that if I had gained a seizure disorder from doing a whole bunch of disscoiatives, id never touch them again!

Nevertheless MXE's serotonergic effects are not negligible as illustrated by negative interactions from combining MXE with certain serotonergic drugs. Just check the MXE combination subthread's OP.

In my opinion MXE has suspicious secondary effects if you consider dissociative / NMDA antagonistic action the primary. I'd advise the TS to avoid it if possible or tread with serious caution if not.

I'm going to have to peruse that thread because the mess that happened with 4-HO-MET last night involved using the same glass and syringe that still had MXE residue left in it when dosing the 4-HO-MET and I didn't think anything of it. There could have easily been 10 or 15mg involved. Not enough for my NMDA tolerance but other effects I'm not so tolerant to...

MXE is definitely an odd substance and what's scarier is the stuff that has been found mixed in with some batches (like MDPV). I've also never had a substance so easily make me black out, I rarely even black out from alcohol but MXE can make me forget the trip and if I mix it with alcohol... Forget about it.