View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushrooms to restore cognitive function

cyberius

Bluelight Crew
Can mushrooms be used to get my mind back after a moderate meth overdose? My ability to reason is noticeably impaired a month laterand I have trouble connecting and communicating thoughts in a coherent manor. My dopamine receptors were heavily overstimulated and I get a sense theres constantly a deafening ringing in my ears (psychosomatic).

Hard to say really, I don't know much about meth's neurotoxicity mechanism, but they might help. Look into dopamine balancing substances. I heard mucana puriens might promote dopaminergic health, and I know there was a nootropic that claimed it also helps with dopamine but I can't remember which.

Mucuna pruriens contains L-dopa, which is the precursor to dopamine and allows your body to make dopamine quickly, so it might help. Although meth is also quite serotonergic, so 5-HTP or L-tryptophan would be helpful too. I've heard that mushrooms can promote new nerve cell growth, I can't remember what the source for that is though.

Mucuna pruriens contains L-dopa, which is the precursor to dopamine and allows your body to make dopamine quickly, so it might help. Although meth is also quite serotonergic, so 5-HTP or L-tryptophan would be helpful too. I've heard that mushrooms can promote new nerve cell growth, I can't remember what the source for that is though.

It's pretty well known actually, that mushrooms can cause growth of new neurons. Would mushrooms restore HT and Dopa neurons?

Yeah mushrooms could possibly help or they could degrade your mind even further if you have a traumatizing trip.

Whatever you say. I've heard stories of very experienced psychedelic users being thrown into a difficult experience that completely caught them off guard. It can happen to anyone is all I'm saying.

I've done 13 hits of acid in a sitting, psychedelia is pretty much a walk in the park at this point

yes but you had that experience beefore your meth overdose. Nobody knows what would happen as there is probably little data on your situation, assuming you don't find any data, i would err on the side of not taking any drugs

It's pretty well known actually, that mushrooms can cause growth of new neurons. Would mushrooms restore HT and Dopa neurons?

Do you have a study for this? Agreed it's been shown that mushrooms increase interconnectivity of neurons (temporarily), but I haven't read anything about their promoting neurogenesis. The location of said neurogenesis is also relevant; neurogenesis naturally occurs in the olfactory bulb and hippocampus, and is related to olfaction and memory. Not sure if increasing the rate of that would be helpful for recovering from meth, which might have had more of a toll on other regions of your brain like the frontal lobes and striatum. My neuroscience knowledge might be a bit rusty though.

I would still say to try the mushrooms, I don't think they would be harmful, just possibly not helpful.

edit: Found the (a?) study, increase is supposed to be in hippocampus. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23727882

Whatever you say. I've heard stories of very experienced psychedelic users being thrown into a difficult experience that completely caught them off guard. It can happen to anyone is all I'm saying.

I enjoy bad trips, the pain is actually wonderful