• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [Mushrooms Subthread] Different Strains & Cultivation

I read about this years ago when I was planning to go through with this, never did ofcourse, but the outside woodlovers like psilocybe cyanescens, azurescens, baeocystis etc, this is about the right time to start with some spawn to potentially harvest some this fall, or will a little later suffice as well?

Nvm I just went around googling 5 mins and think I found most of my questions. Yes start now preferably. Some things I'm not sure of are; to use rye or a different regular colonizing substrate (like rice, I have (brown) rice) to use the spawn on, or mix the spawn straight into boiled woodchips, as I'm seeing either on instructions. I'm thinking the first then move on to the latter in a slightly bigger bucket to ensure good colonization before moving outside late spring/early summer.

I'm also not sure what the preferred ph should be, calcium content? How much gypsum and lime to use on what volume of woodchips, mulching with peatmoss/compost with added lime, cardboard, bark, leaf litter, what's the best mulch? Besides adding more alder woodchips, as that supposedly is the wood I'm seeing mentioned the most, I'm just hoping the tannin content of walnut/pine debris/branch/leaf litter won't disturb it too much. Found an article describing walnut as not being a problem to pleurotis and actually increasing their phenol & flavonoid content, but the pine, that I'm wondering about the most. And what in the world do they mean when they refer to conifers when they say this species likes growing near them, (false) cypress, thuja, does taxus (yew) count? It better, but I'm still suspecting the various mycorrhizae of all these species differ greatly, so I'm wondering which one Stamets referred to when he said "conifers".

I'm also just gonna spray them with tapwater, there's no fluoride or chlorine added to the water here, so unless someone can explain to me why rain water is absolutely essential, I'll be lazy and use tap. I'm not seeing much of a problem with it? =D

I have always been told there are no psychedelic mushrooms where I live (besides amanita muscaria, but I mean psilocybin mushrooms), but my friend knows about two. One of them is the "Laughing Gym" (Gymnopilus junonius). I've never seen or tried them, we went out hunting once but came up dry. Also there are some subspecies that contain a neurotoxin so it seems sketchy to attempt, really. But generally in my region the ones with psilocybin grow. They also contain some compounds similar to kavalactones.

That could be righteous. Which technique did you use?

I used PF Tek. If I do it again I'm gonna move into monotubs once the mycelium is colonized, the yield is vastly superior.

I read about this years ago when I was planning to go through with this, never did ofcourse, but the outside woodlovers like psilocybe cyanescens, azurescens, baeocystis etc, this is about the right time to start with some spawn to potentially harvest some this fall, or will a little later suffice as well?

Nvm I just went around googling 5 mins and think I found most of my questions. Yes start now preferably. Some things I'm not sure of are; to use rye or a different regular colonizing substrate (like rice, I have (brown) rice) to use the spawn on, or mix the spawn straight into boiled woodchips, as I'm seeing either on instructions. I'm thinking the first then move on to the latter in a slightly bigger bucket to ensure good colonization before moving outside late spring/early summer.

I'm also not sure what the preferred ph should be, calcium content? How much gypsum and lime to use on what volume of woodchips, mulching with peatmoss/compost with added lime, cardboard, bark, leaf litter, what's the best mulch? Besides adding more alder woodchips, as that supposedly is the wood I'm seeing mentioned the most, I'm just hoping the tannin content of walnut/pine debris/branch/leaf litter won't disturb it too much. Found an article describing walnut as not being a problem to pleurotis and actually increasing their phenol & flavonoid content, but the pine, that I'm wondering about the most. And what in the world do they mean when they refer to conifers when they say this species likes growing near them, (false) cypress, thuja, does taxus (yew) count? It better, but I'm still suspecting the various mycorrhizae of all these species differ greatly, so I'm wondering which one Stamets referred to when he said "conifers".

I'm also just gonna spray them with tapwater, there's no fluoride or chlorine added to the water here, so unless someone can explain to me why rain water is absolutely essential, I'll be lazy and use tap. I'm not seeing much of a problem with it? =D

Thank you for this info. I may give this a try. Having moved out to the PNW I’m on the hunt for some good wood lovers.

-GC

lol they're supposedly easier than most indoor grows, but I don't know about that. I'll find a way to screw it up probably. I got sent a tiny baggie of azurescens spawn years ago and had no idea what it was because it looked like leaf litter, I chucked it on a planter with some wood and waited for nothing to happen, which it did.

Still feel sorry I didn't know better back then, only after I read into the whole cultivation a little more. Thought it was a big hassle really, apart from the outside shrooms. Well, keeping everything moist at the height of summer can become annoying as well, but it beats the sterility issues where you need to be extremely weary of contaminating everything by simply breathing on them, that's only a bit of a problem in the first few steps during colonization with the woodlovers.

I've also googled a little more and read on mycotopia that people have had no trouble with a regular pf-tek with brown rice or even inoculation on pine wood, so that's good to know. Just a matter of sterilizing two ~1 litre jars with some substrate, dump in some spawn, set it away at roomtemp and wait a month for it to colonize, then move them outside in spring. Or if you've got a little more time create a bigger bucket with woodchips, wait till that fully colonizes, move that to a bed outside, keep it moist throughout summer and then don't rob your patch blind if you do manage to get a flush in the first year.

Last edited:
Keeping it moist is a full-time job, you have to make sure you're never gone for more than a half day, preferably less. It's easy, just constant. Or you could invest and get an auto-misting system going. It's really fascinating to grow, and quite easy, you just have to have a plan and follow procedures.

Monotubs do a lot better at maintaining humidity.

Im making cardboard spawn from my cyanescens using stem butts. So much easier than glove boxes and agar. Works for some edibles as well.

I have a 50/50 succes rate atm, the azurescens has been completely been taken over by cobwebs it seems, the cyanescens is taking off like it doesn't care. Colonized the little mustard jar already, working its way to the bottom of the bigger one.

I dumped half the spawn of both the spawnbags I got in the mail outside already in a small bed, these will probably shortly follow. Although, still not sure wether I should try to treat the cobweb with 3% hydrogen peroxide and see if the mycelium can try to recolonize after it recovers, or to just chuck it outside and see what happens.
NSFW:
oXKbuRr.jpg

Cyanescens:
BkKY4wj.jpg

I4KFwfx.jpg

Azurescens:
FhJstdi.jpg

YYNY35h.jpg