• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

🍄 Gardening 🍄 Mushroom Season in OR, how to confirm proper id?

eclipsa2022

Greenlighter
Hi Bluelighters! I'm a long time lurker, new to posting.

I've invested a lot of time and effort this season in foraging and learning to identify mushrooms, but I know that it's serious business- problem is, I don't know anyone, I just moved here last Spring and it's been hard getting to know anyone. I don't want to step on any toes or post inappropriately, and I've seen too many people get flamed for being new at the mycology game in other forums. Is this a safe place and the right place to share my photos, spore prints, and discuss?

Would love to find the right place, and stick around for more community.

Definitely try and find someone who has been mushroom hunting for a while to show you the ropes in person. Mixing up mushroom species can be a deadly mistake and the advice I got from people who did it in the past was to go with someone for a while and let them guide you.

Some species look incredibly similar so making that deadly mistake is incredibly easy

I quickly found that exact board, and tomorrow my copy of Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World is arriving. Also having fun with the loads of beautiful photos I'm posting to my new Instagram 💕 Appreciate the feedback 😀

Yeah, definitely not a mistake you want to make... way back when I thought I knew what I was doing, I'd spent a few months combing over various field ID guides, after which I thought myself well versed. Went great for a while, amassed an utterly ridiculous personal stash and tried like hell to touch the bottom of the rabbit hole.

Then one day, I ate the wrong one. To this day I can't figure out where I went wrong in my ID, and none of the mushrooms I ate looked any different - that I could discern, at least - than any of the others I'd picked, dried, eaten and tripped balls on. Except, that time at T+45, I started puking and shitting uncontrollably, having palpitations, and felt like my intestines were shredding themselves inside my abdomen.

I knew I was dead. KNEW it, prayed for it, I was in such agony. But I didn't die, instead I passed out on the bathroom floor after what felt like eons. When I woke up, I tossed just under four pounds of shrooms. I didn't touch psilocybin for years after that, but when I did, it was either my own, or from someone I literally trusted with my life.

So yeah, unless you know that you  know that you KNOW exactly which species it is that you are about to pick and ingest...

don't.

It's so, so much easier and higher quality most of the time to just GYO. 😉

Went ahead and added the gardening prefix to your thread.

They have some useful apps nowadays that can be helpful. You take a picture of the mushroom in question and can get identification

Old cow fields and the first frost of the year has been where i've found them. I had a bad trip though in high school and never touched them again, sucked cause it was free drugs.
Just be careful, some are deadly