View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushroom danger question

drugsaregod

Greenlighter
Hello my friend is wondering the potential, if any, negative effects of mushrooms. Also can you make conscious informed decisions while on mushrooms. And finally would someone be able to tell if you are on mushroo
s generally. Thanks

Please use the first person like everyone else and check out the Erowid Mushrooms vault :)

If you plan to trip around your family: DON'T. Even if they don't notice it, you'll be very anxious which can easily lead to a really bad trip.

I thought we shoundt self-incriminate ourselves and not talk in first person

Mushrooms are a profound emotional experience. Set & setting is very important, make sure you don't have anything important planned for at least 12 hours.

The main danger is making sure you have the correct mushrooms, but they're usually easy to identify. Some types of non-psilocybe mushrooms can be deadly. The other danger is going completely insane, don't try them without some friend who is more experienced present.

Last edited:
You're not gonna go insane dude. Just ensure you're in a comfortable, welcoming setting that is free from distractions like cell phones and free from worries like family. Everything will be alright, just remember that mushrooms aren't toxic in any kind of easily indigestible dose. They don't kill people, they aren't harmful, anything happening to you is all in your head.

You're not gonna go insane dude. Just ensure you're in a comfortable, welcoming setting that is free from distractions like cell phones and free from worries like family. Everything will be alright, just remember that mushrooms aren't toxic in any kind of easily indigestible dose. They don't kill people, they aren't harmful, anything happening to you is all in your head.

Although for my first mushroom trip I certainly thought I did.
One of the few bad trips I've ever had out of probably close to 100 psychedelic experiences was my very first mushroom trip.
The possibility for a bad trip is there but have someone to trip with and you should be fine.
I made the mistake of doing it alone when I had no experience with psychedelics whatsoever

^Yes, they can certainly mimic insanity as one might say. My first LSD trip, we all thought we had lost our minds for good. But the drugs will wear off, and you will be fine. If you keep that in your mind, it can really help.

All depends on YOU. Do you normally remain cool, calm, collected even under stressful situations? Are you overly emotional while sober or do you lose your shit regularly? Use that as a guide. No negative physical effects save for a rare few. If your weak of mind this is the last class of drugs to try and mushrooms are supposedly more prone to having a dark side.(For me a dark trip=learning about myself) Won't know until you try.

^Yes, they can certainly mimic insanity as one might say. My first LSD trip, we all thought we had lost our minds for good. But the drugs will wear off, and you will be fine. If you keep that in your mind, it can really help.

If you have some friend who can tell you that if it gets bad, it helps a lot.

Mushrooms can be really intense, don't do them if you're not prepared for it.

I would have to disagree on the impossibility of psylocybin toxicity.It is a natural toxin that happens to be psychedelic but I would think it would be completely possible to poison yourself by eating too much psylocybin.Of course,you would have to be eating a stupidly high dose but I would totally not recommend eating,say,an entire ounce of shrooms at once.I think an ammount like that in a single dose could certainly cause lasting damage to your body.At the very least you would probably never quite be the same after that.A heavy dose like that could really blow your mind but in any sensible dose yeah,they're pretty safe.I'm an experienced tripper and a gram/gram and a half of closed cap cubensis used to spin me pretty good.When I used to could still do psychedelics I always preferred a couple hits of good,clean acid.200 or 300 mics of some good fluff was the ideal trip level for me.Enough to be tripping good but not too heavy like eating a 10 strip.To me,acid and shrooms were essentially the same kind of trip but clean acid didn't come with the belly ache at the end.Really heavy trips can have their place such as helping you work through some things and figuring out stuff about yourself but man,they can have a lasting effect on your psyche that you never totally get over.Sometimes just thinking about some of the far out,heavy ass trips I've had still causes me to get heightened anxiety.In that way,I think acid/shrooms have permanantly altered my brain to some degree.Sure did have some good times with it though.

It is not a natural toxin, what do you base your poisoning theory on exactly? You are far more likely to feel sick from the indigestible fibrous mushroom tissue or other compounds in them if you ask me. Stomach upset seem to be rather likely to come from that, usually stomach problems from pure 4-HO tryptamines are rare and not serious, which supports my view. Use other preparations if you have those problems when you take mushrooms.

Psilocybin seems to be reasonably safe physically, honestly the mental effects are what you should focus on. Dangers lie in tripping not well prepared, making gross mistakes in set and setting, taking too much during your first times, things like that. If you ask me, mushrooms are relatively hard / deep / strong trips with a lot of potential for mindfuck and emotional malaise. It can really feel like you went to hell, heaven and back - which can also happen with drugs like LSD but for a lot of people mushrooms seem more unpredictable and unforgiving.
I have had countless trips that had me very grateful to be alive and intact on the comedown, there are plenty of milder psychedelics that don't do that to me. I can imagine some people can't really handle it that well, and terrible things can happen if you are pretty depressed or confused before you embark.

Sure it can be magical stuff especially more reliably if you first check if ALL affairs are in order before tripping, but there are some issues.

Although for my first mushroom trip I certainly thought I did.
One of the few bad trips I've ever had out of probably close to 100 psychedelic experiences was my very first mushroom trip.
The possibility for a bad trip is there but have someone to trip with and you should be fine.
I made the mistake of doing it alone when I had no experience with psychedelics whatsoever

this exactly. it's really easy to convince yourself of stuff when tripping.

coincidentally, on my first trip ever - which was on shrooms, alone too - i also convinced myself i had gone absolutely insane and called a friend at 4 in the morning to tell him he should stay away from psychedelics and weed because it would make him crazy. i was adamant about it, he could not convince me i would ever go back to normal.

so yeah, can't stress enough about set and setting.

Mushrooms can be a real mindfuck. Depending on my dose I have a 50% chance of a great time; 40% chance of going a little too deep and being more fucked up than I want and a 10% chance of a bad time.

Start low and work yourself up.

It's hard to measure dose too, you never know how potent your mushrooms are, so you have to expect a mindfuck, it's what they're for. They're the most intense drug I've ever had, that's why I'd recommend them as a first time psychedelic, because I'm sick like that, but please make sure you're with good friends, at least one who is more experienced with mushrooms & you don't need to see anybody who isn't tripping with you for the next 8-12 hours.

As long as you get the right mushrooms then the only dangers are having the most intense experience of your life & doing something stupid under the influence, or getting caught by somebody you don't want to see you tripping, because it'll be really obvious you are.

You can make decisions on mushrooms, but they're often not the greatest ones, you'll be in a weird state of mind & extra suggestible. Don't drive, go to work/school or operate heavy machinery. Best to have an empty house with a few friends, or go outside & find a quiet place where you & your friends wont be disturbed for 8+ hours. So, avoid having to make any decisions, or see anybody that wont want to see you tripping, if you can't do that, wait for a better time.

Last edited:
Of course,you would have to be eating a stupidly high dose but I would totally not recommend eating,say,an entire ounce of shrooms at once.I think an ammount like that in a single dose could certainly cause lasting damage to your body.
If psilocybin was that poisonous, this guy would be dead by now. He takes 20-30grams dried. Watch the video, I present you Kilindi Iyi :D

http://vimeo.com/m/75940226

If psilocybin was that poisonous, this guy would be dead by now. He takes 20-30grams dried. Watch the video, I present you Kilindi Iyi :D

http://vimeo.com/m/75940226

Great video, but 20+ grams is not for first timers. I'm sure many more people have done those kind of doses or more & had a good experience too. Helps to prove that normal doses aren't in the slightest bit physically dangerous. I don't think there have been any overdose deaths.

The OP sounds like a kid, I'd recommend less than 3 grams & 1 gram should do it as a first time 'party dose', depending on the potency of the mushrooms. Can always take more on your next time after you understand them more, but you can't untake drugs if you have too much. If they're old mushrooms and/or a weaker variety like cubensis then maybe 2g+ for a decent taste.

Last edited:
^ maybe you should work on your reading comprehension? the poster you quoted wasn't recommending 20g to a first timer, but pointing out the physical safety of psilocybe mushrooms...

^ maybe you should work on your reading comprehension? the poster you quoted wasn't recommending 20g to a first timer, but pointing out the physical safety of psilocybe mushrooms...

I know that, but this thread was started by somebody who has no idea about mushrooms, just because 20g+ is safe doesn't make it sensible for a first timer. If you make it to the end of the video then the guy recommends doing a small dose for your first time, with somebody else more experienced to make sure you don't react badly, before jumping into extreme doses.

+1 on avoiding running into people who are sober.

Every time ive had a bad time involved becoming incredibly uncomfortable and self conscious after beimg too fucked up around someone I didnt plan on seeing.

can you make conscious informed decisions while on mushrooms.
The short answer is no. It's possible, but I certainly wouldn't want to.

And finally would someone be able to tell if you are on mushrooms generally.
Yes. Absolutely.