• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mums heartbreaking photos of her son after he collapsed from taking one line of coke

poledriver

Bluelighter
Mum shares heartbreaking photos of her son after he collapsed from taking one line of cocaine

A MUM has posted a shocking photo of her son who nearly died after taking cocaine as a stark warning to other users.
Former Royal Marine Carl Ayres, then 28, suffered a life-changing stroke five days after snorting one line of the Class A drug at an English pub last New Year’s Eve.

fc1f35889d8c8a339d83615581849fc8

Carl, from Hampshire in the UK, can no longer walk or speak and relies on his mum Julie to help him go to the toilet.
His life changed forever on January 4 this year — when he was out on a five-mile (8km) run.

The exercise is thought to have triggered high blood pressure and caused a slow-moving clot to develop.
The following morning Carl, who owns a digger company, collapsed at a client’s house and was rushed to hospital, where he remained in a coma for four days.

His family were informed he was likely to have locked-in syndrome, a condition where the body and most of the facial muscles are paralysed while the person remains conscious, and they considered turning off his life support machine.
But Carl started to make progress and he is now undergoing physiotherapy at a rehabilitation centre in Southampton where Julie, 50, visits him every day.

Julie said she feels “broken” over what happened to her son, describing it as “absolutely heartbreaking”.
She doesn’t think he will ever fully recover.

She explained: “He was so active and full of life, he ran his own business.
“Now I wipe his bottom for him. Some days I don’t want to get out of bed.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re.../news-story/83a9d04321a8c6e607171d14a4c3ec7a?

There is an important lesson to be learnt here. Exercising is fucking dangerous!

The title is absolutely misleading and the ridiculously limping logic in this is terrifying. So he snorted a line, nothing happened. Then days later he had a stroke exercising, by which time the acute effects had long gone. So what? Anyone can have a stroke, especially if they're naturally predisposed. Just because I drank a cup of coffee today and will have cardiac arrest doing exercise tomorrow means that I should campaign for the complete ban of coffee? That is fucking ridiculous. People who develop diabetes from their diet should then advocate the ban of everything they previously ate.

Oh and don't get me started on the oh-so-wonderful drugs like nicotine and ethanol, and what their use can do to people. These double standards and hypocrisy pisses me off, to be honest.

I wonder if that's the nappy she's holding by his ear she wipes his bum with...

OMG, lol. I am sure he also had fast food sometime in the past 3 years. Fast food causes strokes!

Hello all,

cocain is actually cardiotoxic, isn't it? But I honesly think that a 28 year old, former marine who runs 8km for sport purposes should be able to handle one line of cocain. After 5 days.
I really don't see the connection here, but would be happy if someone could explain it to me

Are they sure it was coke? There are a lot of extremely cardiotoxic synthetics out there, that have a much longer half life.

What makes you think they even care to check? "cocaine caused a stroke" sounds a good enough title already, why bother providing objective information?

If he had binged for many tens of hours on cocaine and then went for a run and had a stroke, okay. I could see the connection. But one line, 5 days prior? Come on, man.

Really? I've always thought cocaine was pretty uniquely cardiotoxic as it combines both stimulant effects and sodium channel blocking, which is the real culprit for the cardiotoxicity.

Can you point out any synthetics worse than coke in cardiotoxicity?

I have no idea, but... MDPV? In small doses it "felt" safer, but small doses were never really possible over the course of the night.

Hello all,

cocain is actually cardiotoxic, isn't it? But I honesly think that a 28 year old, former marine who runs 8km for sport purposes should be able to handle one line of cocain. After 5 days.
I really don't see the connection here, but would be happy if someone could explain it to me

None it's just easier to blame the drugs than faulty genetics or God or bad luck, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if he's lying about the one line too.

What makes you think they even care to check? "cocaine caused a stroke" sounds a good enough title already, why bother providing objective information?

If he had binged for many tens of hours on cocaine and then went for a run and had a stroke, okay. I could see the connection. But one line, 5 days prior? Come on, man.

Yeah it really seems like they are doing everything in their power to continue to demonize drug use.

that's not funny at all dude. If you're gonna make a joke during this kind of situation at least make it a funny one. corny

I was a caregiver to my best friend, Jake, who got drunk at a party, decided he was too drunk to drive, walked home, and was struck by a drunk driving home from a bar. Left him paralyzed from the chest down with little function in his arms or hands.

I appreciate your concern and I agree with your statement.

The story is sad, I hate sensationalism though and the article blames coke for no good reason....but that's all been said.
What I find strange is her openness about some of the details.
If someone's paralyzed to that extent it goes without saying that they aren't walking themselves to the bathroom and handling that sort of business. Why say it?

I definitely empathize with her situation and I feel very sorry for her. She's probably trying to get across the impact it's not only had on him but on everyone who means anything in his life. That's a major change for everybody involved to take on. I'm not complaining because she's obviously in a tough spot and is going through a lot right now.....but I guess I just wanted to say that I wouldn't have said anything publicly about my son's bathroom routine.

I do realize that really drives it home for a lot of people....I totally get that....but I know for Jake it was one of the most sensitive topics avilable.

If you truly love someone unconditionally....more than there are stars in the sky, more than blades of grass in the meadow, more than there is sand on a beach...you will do anything for them. If someone I cared about was in this situation, if keeping them alive was not torture for them, I would gladly clean their feces and urine...I would read them books and play them music, sing them songs.....It is not something to be done to expect a reward, it is something to be done because in your chest beats a heart that truly feels for the afflicted.

Coke or no coke this man is going to need constant care, and I just hope his family is willing. Yes there is coming back from a stroke, but it is going to a be a long hard road of physical therapy in which someone that loves him will have to be there every step of the way encouraging him.

If this happened to me, I'd be really pissed seeing a story like this in the media. I'm not that private of a person, but I do not like being a play thing. That was more what I was thinking... This dude is being used, obviously by this story's authors, and in a way even by his mom, even though I imagine her intentions couldn't anywhere near that. The reality that it isn't just because of the big bad drugs isn't very easy for most people to understand under such trying circumstances.

His family, including dad Gary, 56, are hopeful he will soon return home and Julie stressed she is keen for people to realise how devastating an impact cocaine has had on her son and his family.

She explained: “If I can get one other person to realise how it’s affected my family and Carl then going public has to be worth it.

“People think it won’t happen to them. Carl is proof it can. But I still see people in Farnborough taking cocaine. How close to home do they need it to happen?”

“I see them and think, ‘You selfish little sods. You could put your mother and father through what we’re going through.’

I take it back actually, she is most definitely using him. Not that surprising. Hardly an unusual way to cope. Ignorance is a powerful narcotic.

Someone better dial nine-wah-wah and call the wahmbulance!/rant