• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Moving out of my parents' house

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
Hey guys, bear with me. I'm an ignorant kid with no significant knowledge of or experience with the real world.

I'm trying to move out from my parents' house right now, primarily because my dad is an emotionally abusive, sick person, and I legitimately fear for my sanity if I continue to be around him.

Here's the issue. You Bluelighters know how it is -- our lifestyles aren't necessarily accepted by the greater part of society. Psychedelics have been an important part of my life for many years now, and that's not changing anytime soon. And another important factor in my decision to move is my desire to be able to use them more freely, without having to worry about hiding it from anybody. Because needless to say, my parents aren't particularly supportive of psychedelics.

So, my question is, how should I do this? Right now I'm looking at rooms for rent on Craigslist, basically, in shared living situations: apartment subleases, homeowners renting a guest room, etc. But I can't really trust anybody to be cool with psychedelics, and I don't exactly feel comfortable asking a potential landlord, "hey so I do LSD, is that fine and dandy?" Should I scrap the idea of renting a room, and just try to lease my own apartment, so I can have as much privacy as possible?

how often do you do psychedelics?

what is the reason you use them?

if psychedelics help you get out of your head, and if the reason you need to escape is because of your home situation, you might not need to do psychedelics a lot, once ur out of home.

if you roomed with other people, then you would be able to trip at night once a week/fortnight if you wanted.

you dont have to tell your landlord you do drugs. if you can ask all your friends if there are any rooms available with ppl they know, that would be ideal. strangers can be well... strange, its best if your rooming with ppl you know or ppl who you know, know.

i moved out a week ago and its a weight off my shoulders. i shot some K up in the evening a few days ago, just closed my door and lay in my bed with headphones on, no need to tell anyone if i think they might sketch out about it. it might take a bit more planning with a long trip like acid, i'd take that at night. mushrooms is shorter tho.

My experience with renting rooms was that it is a situation where you are being evaluated to a degree by the existing roommates and you are evaluating them at the same time. (OK, granted this was back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth but there were definitely psychedelic using dinosaurs nonetheless.;)) Generally in the first few minutes of conversation, drug use came up and everyone shared their level of comfort or discomfort with various substances. I can't imagine it has changed all that much. Where I live people seem to save a lot of time by putting '420 friendly' in the ad and thus letting the anti-drug people not to waste their time. Telling a landlord however is a whole different thing--I would recommend total discretion.

Congratulations on your motivation! Happy new home hunting.:)

^ hasn't really changed, '420 friendly' is a thing in my area, often ads will specifically state what they're NOT looking for (smoking, drug use). If it's part of your lifestyle you just have to put it out there and see if the potential roommates are OK with it, if not then it's on to the next place. There are definitely some people out there who you will be able to connect with, just gotta keep looking and don't settle on the first thing that seems half-decent. Living with roommates is always a challenge though, you have to make compromises and deal with other people who might not share your standards. It can be extremely frustrating. In your situation, looking for a sublet apartment may be best because it gives you the privacy to have your own routine (which makes day-to-day living easier) and is cheaper than renting the same apartment outright. There might even be an opportunity to get a recommendation from the landlord which will make renting an apartment in the future easier to accomplish.

roommates usually don't care what you're doing as long as you're being reasonably quiet. use of psychedelics is pretty accepted among young adults. smoking is far more obtrusive. i don't think you'd have a problem unless you're shooting k in the living room. if there was going to be a problem, you'd likely be able to tell when you met the other roommate(s) and saw the place. without having to ask for policy on lsd use during the tour.

moving out is exciting. best of luck in your apartment hunt!

Last edited:
Sharing a house/apartment is difficult with privacy but it really depends what you're looking for. I lived for a couple years with roommates and most of them didn't know what I did. Honestly, if you can just do them in your room, then it's fine. Although I'd probably look for a bedroom with an adjoining bathroom. Otherwise you're high and leaving your room to go to the washroom and that's kinda sketch LOL.
Check out bachelor apartments though. A bit pricier but then you have privacy.
NEVER ask a landlord if they are okay with that. You'll get the feeling when you meet them.

When i lived out of home.. one of us could of been dead for days and no one would of noticed. - Maybe that sounds a bit messed up, but we all lived such individual lives coming and going and all of us were PC gamers; so it wasn't uncommon for us to not see each other for days.

Yeah, that's often the way of it, I've found. Moving out of my folks' place was one of the best moves I made, I'm glad I did it when I was 20. It's harder having to completely handle all your own affairs, but on the other hand that's freedom, and emotionally it's much easier.

My attitude was always a bit flippant, I would use drugs even if my roommates disapproved; what they didn't know couldn't hurt them. Still, I'd make an effort when I could to leave the house and go exploring, so as not to bother them with it if it really mattered to them that much. If, however, you're able to move in with friends who also smoke weed and drop tabs, it's MUCH nicer. The first couple of months, it was a pleasant shock for me to be able to leave a bong out on the kitchen table, or to openly talk about mushrooms as loud as I liked. Definitely do it once the opportunity comes your way, if you're unable to actively seek it out.

On the other hand, watch out for situations like mine a month back.