• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Most powerful SSRI against anxiety?

Legally High

Bluelighter
I'm on 20mg celexa, trying to decide if I should up the dose or if there is one better suited for anxiety. Also on lamictal for depression/anxiety.

I'm on 20mg celexa, trying to decide if I should up the dose or if there is one better suited for anxiety. Also on lamictal for depression/anxiety.

I am co-morbid ADHD or bp, multiple docs and psychs had diff opinions but getting a chance to be med free, I saw I suffered very serious PTSD as a child and couldn't get through the flashbacks as it was too painful. Lexapro 10 mg was working for awhile until I tried Zoloft 50 mg after having a breakdown during law school getting dumped during the bar exam and not seeing it coming, SSRIs have a way of dumbing people down, as ive been struggling to maintain a full time job the first week, I just tried effexor xr 37 mg prescribed by my psych and the NE I get from adderall and the SNRI worked better than lexapro or zoloft alone (at least I think not sure). Struggling with myself immensely and half dose of zoloft 25 mg instead of 50 mg with xanax helped me way better than anything but couldnt function as well.

150mg of Zoloft (Sertraline) has been consistently effective for me over the past 8 years.

Sertraline is "better" for anxiety, although I personally think you'd be better served to use buspirone

When I suffered from generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder, the most effective SSRI was escitalopram (I think it's called Lexapro in the US) and the one I tolerated best. I was on 20 mg. But people react differently to different substances, so what's effective for me is not necessarily effective for others.

Celexa, or citalopram, is a kind of "weaker" version while escitalopram generally is considered stronger and it's also more potent, and in my experience escitalopram is superior for anxiety. There are also studies about this:

[Escitalopram is more effective than citalopram for the treatment of severe major depressive disorder

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15107719

I also had far less side side effects with escitalopram than citalopram.

Although, to be honest, benzos and pregabalin were the only ones that really helped when my situation was at worst. But I strongly disadvise going that way.

Last edited:
mirtazipine worked well for me but i couldn't deal with the weight gain.