• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Morphine vs OxyContin vs roxicodone

Nicsdragon

Bluelighter
Hi. So me and my hubby both take oxy 80 ER about 2-3 a day and roxi 30 mg 5 a day. So yea were drug addicts. Problem is my hubby always has kidney stones and these pain meds just don't work. Anyone who's had kidney stones knows only morphine really does the trick.

So I was wondering if anyone could share their experience with kidney stones and these drugs and which you feel works best for you? He's getting his 4 th blasting of the stones soon and his pain is just off the charts. If you feel morphine is the way to go with this then what ways have you taken it? Pills, pops, patches?

Any insight would be great! AgAin he has a really high tolerance for meds since we both do pain meds all the time even though they are prescribed we are dependent on them :(

Thanks

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone said:
Oxycodone is approximately 1.5–2.0 times as potent as morphine when administered orally.[26][27] However, 10–15mg of oxycodone produces an analgesic effect similar to 10mg of morphine when administered intramuscularly.[28] Therefore, as a parenteral dose, morphine is approximately up to 50% more potent than oxycodone.

I know wikipedia isn't the best source but it's backed up by BlL's thread at http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/564885-Opioid-Conversion-Chart.

So unless you're using via IV, oxycodone is going to be stronger than morphine. Maybe he feels "only morphine does the trick" because he's been getting it injected at the hospital?

It sounds like his tolerance is just too high to get effective pain relief. Good luck, I know how painful kidney stones can be.

I don't think morphine comes as pop's and patches I believe your thinking of fentanyl.

I recently went to an ER with acute pancreatitis and stayed for 3 days. Two weeks later it happened again. They told me they were IV me with Morphine but the lable on the medicine said Hydromorphone (Dilaudid). The dose was low compared to my tolerance but the medicine went right to the site of pain in my abdomen and stopped it for a short time. After hurting again, they gave me another dose, stopped the pain again for a while but I really didn't get a "buzz" from it... just a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling though.
Anyhow, to get to the point, I think Dilaudid would be good for the kidney stones for this reason; My father-in-law passed some stones a while back & they gave him K4's (or 4mg) of tablets for pain. I didn't know much about drugs back then but I took a couple and didn't feel a thing. The IV in the hospital though I did feel a slight buzz along with instant relief. I guess the hydromorphone is mainly for internal pain instead of external, like a tooth ache or broken bone. I don't think the dilaudid will help with that, but if the pain is in an organ or similar place... I think it would work well, such as for the kidney stones and kidney pain?
I'm no expert by far but if I were you I would check into getting some dilaudid for the internal pain you're having. You may not get all that "buzzed" but I would bet it helps with the pain??? From my friends experience with dilaudid since then, any time my friend did it IV... he said it was like a heat seeking missile as the only place he felt the medicine was the exact places he was in pain. (ex.) He said if his back hurt & he did it... he would feel the meds bypass everything and go straight to his back. If his abdomen hurt, he said he could feel the meds go directly to the problem area and stop the pain immediately. He said it was a strange thing how it worked!
Anyhow, hope you get better and do some research about the meds, don't think oxy or roxy is made for kidney trouble so it probably ain't gonna help. But like I said I'm no expert!

I recently went to an ER with acute pancreatitis and stayed for 3 days. Two weeks later it happened again. They told me they were IV me with Morphine but the lable on the medicine said Hydromorphone (Dilaudid). The dose was low compared to my tolerance but the medicine went right to the site of pain in my abdomen and stopped it for a short time. After hurting again, they gave me another dose, stopped the pain again for a while but I really didn't get a "buzz" from it... just a bit of a warm fuzzy feeling though.
Anyhow, to get to the point, I think Dilaudid would be good for the kidney stones for this reason; My father-in-law passed some stones a while back & they gave him K4's (or 4mg) of tablets for pain. I didn't know much about drugs back then but I took a couple and didn't feel a thing. The IV in the hospital though I did feel a slight buzz along with instant relief. I guess the hydromorphone is mainly for internal pain instead of external, like a tooth ache or broken bone. I don't think the dilaudid will help with that, but if the pain is in an organ or similar place... I think it would work well, such as for the kidney stones and kidney pain?
I'm no expert by far but if I were you I would check into getting some dilaudid for the internal pain you're having. You may not get all that "buzzed" but I would bet it helps with the pain??? From my friends experience with dilaudid since then, any time my friend did it IV... he said it was like a heat seeking missile as the only place he felt the medicine was the exact places he was in pain. (ex.) He said if his back hurt & he did it... he would feel the meds bypass everything and go straight to his back. If his abdomen hurt, he said he could feel the meds go directly to the problem area and stop the pain immediately. He said it was a strange thing how it worked!
Anyhow, hope you get better and do some research about the meds, don't think oxy or roxy is made for kidney trouble so it probably ain't gonna help. But like I said I'm no expert!

Okay none of this makes any sense. Pain meds don't bypass your body and only go to the area you're in pain. That's where the most noticeable sensation is because an iv dose of an opioid is going to make your pain decrease/disappear very quickly. The reason you felt it in the hospital is because it was given via injection, whereas when you took the k4's you presumably didn't.

Oxycodone is made for pain, period. There aren't certain opiates that treat "internal" pain. Hydromorphone is just stronger but has a low oral BA.

Thanks guys. I tell him to ask the dr for hyrdomorphone since he takes the oxys and roxi's already and they don't work. Ugh poor guy!

I don't think morphine comes as pop's and patches I believe your thinking of fentanyl.

there are morphine patches available but limited availability throughout the world. i was meant to be psrt of a trial here on australia which never eventuated.

i cant remember the conclusion of yheir efficacy but fentanyl pstches leave them far behind. probably the buprenorphine patches.

my dad suffers from kidney stones ever few years and hes always had the misfortune of pissing them out with no analgesia apart from one time with IV morphine - which seems to be the DOC for the pain bbehind hydromorphone from my understanding.

^ People often refer to the fentanyl lollipops as "morphine lollipops" although that's not what they are. I don't know where that started and I assume it's because most people wouldn't know what fentanyl is, but I have personally heard them referred to as that numerous times.

I find morphine to be the best drug for pain relief, although I find it to be one of the least euphoric. That's why I had said that if I ever had chronic pain I would want to be put on morphine since it would treat the pain well, yet I wouldn't be tempted to abuse it since I don't find it to be euphoric.

When I get kidney stones, a shot of Dilauded helps me more than morphine. If that's not an option, roxicodone. With LOTS of water. Once you get your tolerance that high, it really is hard to manage pain for kidney stones because the pains so bad you need so much more to relieve it.

I self medicate with low doses of oxy or hydro orally every 4-6 hours. Combined with a 75 mg Noritiptlyne prescription the opioids seem to be causing kidney pain, not relieving it. It's the worst during urination. Also I feel toxic.
I should mention the pain meds are for back pain, not for kidney stones.

off the drug thread, but seriously, look up Vitamin K2 (not K) and u'll see that it's responsible for depositing calcium in your teeth and bones instead of your arteries or your kidneys.. the best source is Life Extension "Super K"