• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Morphine for opiate tapering

DownerSensation

Greenlighter
I have been on opiates/oids for a year now and have quite the high tolerence IMO. I want to taper off but didnt want to do methadone and wanted to take something that is weaker than per se Oxycodone and Hydromorphone which have been my main two opioids. So i know morphine is a little bit weaker than oxycodone and know that morphine has a low BA unless you IV (which i never IV anything) so i was wondering if it would be a good idea to use the ER version of morphine as it is (no crushing the pill or taking off the coating) to cut my dosage down and manage my w/d symptoms during the day? Or would it produce too little amount of morphine to give me relief of my w/d symptoms?

What's your tolerance? Morphine is complicated; by mouth, it is more potent with repeat dosing, as BA% eventually increases,and its also partially dose dependent, as large or very large doses gain a BA% increase

And morphine is stronger than oxy, just (typically) lower BA%, though 20mg(range 15-30) Oxy PO = ~ 20-40mg Chronic Morphine (R 15-90mg)
Anyway, what strength Morphine SR And also what tolerance? You may want to parachute first day, to make titrating easier, and last day, if switching to methadone

Just post back if need anything, or even figures/stats- It shouldn't be too bad, you don't inject so 30mg morphine would work(give or take a dosage unit)

I feel you, was in a similar situation myself and I too dont want methadone as it is the WORST stuff to get off. I'm about to try clonidine for wihtdrawals and legal over the counter kratom (strongly recommend this if you can get it) and cannabis here in the US is a miracle help

ER morphine such as Substitol is definitely better than methadone and suboxone in terms of coming off, its used in some European countries as an opiate substitute. Doesnt get in your bones :) but with ER opiates you might need a higher dose to hold you to begin with after changing as it doesnt give the same spikes in the blood and it could cause a difficult withdrawal. I had this problem changing from IR to ER oxy. Hope this helps ;)

As of my tolerence i need about 120mg of oxycodone (oral/insufflated) to get the nods and about 24-30mg of hydromorphone (insufflated) to get the nods. I want to avoid methadone at all costs so i assumed that a ER version of a opiate/oid would be in my best interested for tapering off but as for the tolerence ive mentioned above, what drug should i taper with? what mg should i start with? And should i use ER or IR formula?

I should also mention that in my area i only have Oxycodone IR and ER versions, Hydromorphone IR and ER versions and Morphine sulphate but i can only get the purple 30mg ER version. Also methadone but thats out of the question, any other opiate is extrememly hard to come across, oh besides codeine i suppose but thats out of the question as well haha and thank you for helps guys!

Last edited:
So i guess my final question is oxycodone or morphine for tapering? And what dosage based on my tolerence i gave you and your best estimate and ER or IR?

Morphine, 30mg

You don't need to nod or feel amazing, just good, then regulated and you taper from there; I would
say ER, or you can grind then finely

For ER, Start with 4-5 tablets per day, divided into two or 3 doses. Example: 2.5 tablets T-0, 1.5-2~7hrs later, maybe one tablet crushed up at T10-15 if you cannot sleep? Or more strictly, 2-3 tablets when you get up, 2 tablets 8-12 hours later

IR is a bit different; either way, get stable and a couple of days later cut 15mg, and continue until at half dose, then cut 7.5-15mg, once every week or so

Post back for taper tips, Oxy is drug of choice, so would avoid it, although with self control, a couple of emergency Roxie 15's or something could be useful. Good Luck, ad be careful man - and you would be surprised, 4.5 tablets is really (or should be) a fine starting point, do it over the course of, say a month or two, gradually. Again, post back if need anything

One of the reasons i wanted to taper with Morphine in the first place was because its not as great of a high as per se oxycodone or Hydromorphone IMO. Also great advice so far Lorne i just have one more question as to what you suggest i get if i run out of morphine while in the middle of the tapering process? Should i get Oxy or HM? Oxy would seem like a more appealing 2nd runner beside morphine for tapering IMO

I agree. Just be careful again with your DOC, otherwise oxy is superior; maybe a CR form?

What kind of oxy is available to you? Hypothetically, of course ;)

However if you want this, it seems well within reach. At the very least tolerance cut by 50-75%?’ If you red to slow down

I am glad if I, or anyone else, on BL can help in any way. Good job and this ca work (not to go all AA or anything, just opioids we’re always y drug of choice, and have even been to clinic,!so understand your, or at least feel the situation- try to go with lower strength oxy is my last observation until/unless you post back; I think 15 or 20 oxy (give or take) would be ideal for nuktipke reasons; the OP’s in general are better for tapering orncurrimg off, however witnn 30 -49 mg oxy, or 80mg otc/op or CR equivalent,?would be tempting; as H-morph is too unreliable, as does not hold as lovng, even with SR formation s, generally. Good luck again, and we’re
here Man, of course- opioids were/are rad flit shake personally; going from doses, siiliar (if not a tad higher Taganrog yours was miserable, even after switching to methadone, and cutting down cause I did it too quickly. Be careful, and am glad you are thinking this through, it can be more helpful than you think

Ok, done with my pseudo-speech, respond if you ca, ad certainly with any other inquiries :)

"What kind of oxy is available to you? Hypothetically, of course ;)"

Well for IR formulas i can get oxycodone 10mg and 20mg, for the CR i can only get my hands on 60mg ones, and also percocet but im not a huge fan of CWE's or willingly destroying my liver so id so any of those oxys mentioned besides percs unless i dearly had to.

I think i am going to stick with my 30mg ER morphine tabs for now untill i run out, than once i run out i will try to get the CR 60mg oxy or the IR oxy 10mg so i can control my dosage from the lowest standpoint possible, all id need is just enough to take the w/d anxiety away.

But cant thank you enough for the help/support. Its nice to have a different opinions for dealing with situations because it gives me different angles you wouldn't have seen on your own.