• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Morphine Dosage and Respiratory Depression

B

Begazy

This is my question, in short, which I think should is valuable HR information, but I can't seem to find a straight answer: what is the morphine threshold dosage (for an opioid intolerant individual) beyond which it would cause significant (i.e., life-threatening) respiratory depression? I understand that there is probably no 'exact' number, so a range is perfectly fine. If you can back up your claim with a study (which I haven't been able to find), that's even better!

This is the rationale for my question, for context:

I recently obtained 5 × 10mg morphine pentahydrate tablets (roughly equivalent to 7.5mg MSO4) brand name Dolcontin, catalog information (in Norwegian) at [1]). I cannot find information on whether they are extended-release (ER) or instant-release (IR), but I made a point to crush them and remove the coating, which I understand should make them IR in most cases.

I am a male about 25 years old, about 160cm tall and weighing about 60kg and currently opioid intolerant (the only opioid agonist I've used recreationally is kratom, for which my usual dose was around 10-12g of Thai Maeng Da; I've probably been administered some opioid for surgery many years ago.) Last time I did kratom was about 6 months ago.

I used to love kratom. Unfortunately, in my current location, kratom is illegal (and unavailable) and weaker/safer opioids (like buprenorphine or hydrocodeine, for example) are very difficult (and expensive) to come by. This leaves me with pharma morphine and street heroin (and I certainly don't want to touch heroin). I would like to know how much morphine I can safely attempt to use to reach a state of euphoria.

This is what I've tried so far:

T-0:20 - Took some grapefruit juice.
T+0:00 - Took about half a tablet about 1.5 hours from my last meal.
T+0:05-0:10 - Felt 'warm' and a sort of rush. Most likely placebo though.
T+0:40 - Took the remaining half tablet. Similar 'rush' effect.
T+1:50 - After removing the coating and grinding it into a fine powder, I snorted about a quarter pill.
T+1:55-2:05 - I felt slightly euphoric, but this was very weak and short-lasting.
T+2:20 - Took the another quarter pill orally. No distinguishable effects whatsoever.

I understand that I took a relatively small dosage (~11.2mg), most of which was taken orally which is not very efficient for morphine, *AND* which was spaced out over a relatively long time, so I was mostly replenishing whatever was methabolized.)

I will wait a few days and re-attempt dosage (probably over the weekend); considering I have a small supply, and expanding on my question above, how much do you estimate would be a safe threshold. I'm considering taking 1 1/2 pills at once, or maybe plugging about 1 pill. Would you think this should be fine?

Thank you very much!

[1] http://www.felleskatalogen.no/medisin/dolcontin-pfizer-548098

If you have no tolerance at all, I'd make the morphine into a solution with warm water backloaded into a nevertheless syringe, crush first. Do half, plugged. A whole one that way might be too much. You can always do the other half if you don't feel too high.

Eating it, I'd do a whole 10mg with no tolerance.