• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Morphine: A Sedative or Stimulant?

Rybee

Bluelighter
Hey All,

Not really sure what's going on. Used to have a bit of a Morphine habit, loved the warm fuzzy sedation, the euphoria and the nod... got clean went away for 9 months, came back and soon found that old habits die hard. Now whenever I take it, it makes me feel wired, keeps me up all night despite using a large dose of Quetiapine/Promethazine and just give me bad stomach cramps.

I hid SO much Morphine in the boot/trunk of my car and have come back to be bitterly disappointed. Though it's probably a good thing in all honesty.

However, I'm interested. What's different? It's the same Morphine in the same body, but have the complete opposite affect on me?

Hey All,

Not really sure what's going on. Used to have a bit of a Morphine habit, loved the warm fuzzy sedation, the euphoria and the nod... got clean went away for 9 months, came back and soon found that old habits die hard. Now whenever I take it, it makes me feel wired, keeps me up all night despite using a large dose of Quetiapine/Promethazine and just give me bad stomach cramps.

I hid SO much Morphine in the boot/trunk of my car and have come back to be bitterly disappointed. Though it's probably a good thing in all honesty.

However, I'm interested. What's different? It's the same Morphine in the same body, but have the complete opposite affect on me?

Maximum respect for getting clean. Take it as a blessing (I'm sure you've heard that a million times?!) that it doesn't make you feel good anymore. A sure sign to not go back down the Morphine route.

Only tried Morphine a few times (Oramorph) and as my tolerance was that high I literally had to drink a whole bottle to get any sort of decent effect. Oxycontin was my drug of choice, but I abused it that heavy my tolerance was ridiculous! I now haven't touched any Oxy since October 2015, when I took 800mg in a day and suffered Kidney failure :(

Dihydrocodeine is the only Opiate that makes me wired.

Although, to be honest, when I was using most other Opiates I would always have Benzodiazepines in my system as I never really enjoyed Oxy without complimenting it with Benzodiazepines.

Mixing Benzodiazepines and Opiates can be dangerous or even fatal for some so I do not recommend this.

Hey All,

Have you kept your dosage low after you started again to be on the safe side? For me, morphine can possess stimulative qualities in small dosages and when you hit a certain (high enough) dosage you start to feel tired and nod. Furthermore, being "a newborn opiat naive person again" opiats and opioids can make it harder to achieve sleep and especially deep (i.e. REM) sleep. A lot of people who are not used to opiats can't sleep when they take them orally and in relatively small dosages. The best sleep they can achieve is a sleep where it feels like you are half-awake while dreaming. You have to take opiats over a certain dosage before the sedative effects really start to kick in. What that dosage is depends on the specific opiat and is subjective from person to person and for the same person it change vary a little from one time to another due to several variables.

However, you should be careful not just to return to your old dosage, as you risk ODing. I want to be very clear and specific about this. As you are now less tolerant, the dosage you took before might kill you today.

This is my guess, but before it is possible to say things in more details in for certain we need to know your normal dosage back then and your method of administration and your dosage now plus method of administration. An on a side note, storing morphine in your car might expose the morphine to very varying and extreme temperatures (e.g. high degrees in the summer and very low degrees in the winter plus higher degree in the winter when you are driving in your car and heating it up) plus moisture and other conditions that can be harmful for medication. But this is a less likely explanation.

Several opiats and opioids can possess stimulating qualities in lower dosages and when not taken intravenously or intramuscularly. Tramadol will often be stimulating in the first hour(s) after taking it no matter the dosage and the tolerance of the user due to tramadol being a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor as well as an opioid. At least I think the stimulating effects is due to the SNRI properties, I don't know if O-desmethyltramadol in itself feels stimulating. Oxycodone and opioids with similar potencies might also feel stimulating in the first period of time after intake resulting in people being more talkative, more focused, and wanting to be more active. However, after a while most will start to feel tired from whatever opioids they took.

U47700, a RC opioid, despite being quite potent felt pretty stimulating to me as well, but in general U47700 reacted in ways that I can't compare to other opioids.

Fentanyl and opioids with similar potency never feels stimulating to me, though. Even low dosages makes me feel sedated despite the fact that I have a high tolerance to opiats.

Last edited:
As mentioned your tolerance will be much lower now so don't get in trouble chasing the memory of the feeling you got.

Also, after being addicted once, your tolerance will quickly grow to the level you were at back then. At least a lot quicker than had you never taken high amounts before.

Your best bet is to just dump it and stay clean if you can. I don't know if you quitting was at a detox facility as that is a lot of money someone paid just to relapse. Or if it was a government 'provided' break ie jail, but regardless you are clean now so stop while you are ahead or get yourself into even more serious addiction by trying to find a different drug or way of using to get that feeling. You definitely don't want to pick up an IV heroin habit trying to find your buzz.

Be content that you are clean and recovering. There are lots of people that would do anything to be where you are. You just need to explore life and find something you enjoy that doesn't involve drugs. Exercise can give you an amazing feeling as your body makes it's own feel good meds. Plus getting in shape is the best way to boost your confidence and self worth. Just have to find things you enjoy doing and ease your way into so your body gets used to it and doesn't hurt and only feel like work. Mountain biking is my other drug. I can cover long distances with a nice breeze which is almost required in this heat, and you get to see the outdoors and nature and I can take it easy and enjoy myself or pound away and get a great workout. But weightlifting is fun as is indoor rock climbing. There are lots of things so you just have to find stuff you like. It also usually introduces you to other healthy and more importantly, clean people. Many of the opposite sex if that's something you're looking for. A good hobby is also a great way to spend free time. There are too many to try and suggest something you might be interested in. If you don't think there is one just think about what you liked as a kid. I guarantee someone is doing it as a hobby even if it's something off the wall like making rockets or fireworks or even just cooking a great meal.

Anyways, take this as a sign to run screaming from the drugs and find another outlet to spend your time and energy on. And if you still have friends that use, you really need to walk away and find some new clean ones. If you hang out with people that are using it's only time before you convince yourself just once won't hurt anything and if you have an addictive personality that is all it takes to get caught and reeled in.

Best of luck! I'm still trying to get completely sober and I truly envy those that are. I need my life back. Not just for me but my 18 month old daughter and I want to be a great daddy every second of every day and be able to remember everything I can during this time. I'm close but not there yet. So please realize that being clean is a gift that not everyone will get! But you have to make the decision in your head that you want to be clean and explore everything else life has to offer. If you don't truly want it you will never be completely free and wanting something is entirely up to you and is all mental.

Truly, I wish you the best of luck.