View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Morning Glories

Plurple

Bluelighter
I am considering growing some morning glories indoors to harvest some seeds. I don't want to bother with anything that may or may not be sprayed with harmful chemicals, so I'd rather harvest fresh(er) seeds.
I'd love to hear some of your lsa extraction methods and how your experience with them were. (Anddddd if it's really even worth the effort) I love gardening though. So I totally don't mind having some pretty glories around.

Is it really proven or shown that morning glories were at any time sprayed with chemicals for the sheer fact that they are psychoactive? Because it could just as easily be the case that they are sometimes - always? - coated with pesticides which can be washed off if you do a water rinse and a solvent rinse (then let evaporate properly of course)..
I know nobody raised the issue, but I think there are plenty of stories and myths out there that are explainable by pesticides if not just side-effects of the drug - not so sure that anyone cares enough to deter 'abuse'?

But I definitely understand wanting to grow your own!

I have grown them indoors... and I gotta say: the yield is just not enough for tripping on, it is possibly if you make a nice vine covered wall in your garden but indoors I don't really see it happening. Still, it was fun to grow them and propagate the seed etc.

No, Solipsis. It seems to be a myth that stems from the fact that any batch of seeds can be coated with fungicidal agents. And yes, there is evidence that some companies use fungicidal agents on their seeds. This issue was brought up in a case report on morning glory seed ingestion. The author of this case report reported that the particular chemical agent that he idtentifed was too weak to create complications if it was ingested, however this report is from 1964 and said fungicide may have since been replaced with other chemical agents with different properties. The author also notes that a group of allegedly discontinued fungicides could elicit a toxic reaction.

It has been suggested6 that the insecticide coating on the morning glory seed might be promoting adverse side effects that have been noted. The majority of commercial seeds are treated with N-tri-chlorete which is a fungicide and seed protectant having a tolerance of 100 parts per million.8 Thus, this is quite an inocuous product from the toxicologic point of view and would require ingestion of quantities beyond the capacity of the stomach to absorb, in amounts found as a seed coater, to be considered lethal.9 Symptoms involving the nervous system would be lacking if we were dealing only with the effects of this fungicide. Formerly, compounds containing mercury were used extensively as fungicides and there is the possibility that some seeds so treated might pose a toxicologic danger if ingested. This is considered unlikely as the newer seed protectants have been in use for a considerably longer period than the current morning glory fad.

It would seem then, that both the psychological and physiological effects observed in the ingestion of the seed of the morning glory reside in the alkaloids of the seed and not the seed protectant. The LSD-like reaction is most likely due to the LSD-like alkaloids for no pure LSD has as yet been isolated from the seed. As all compounds occurring in the morning glory seed have not been studied intensively enough to inspire confidence in their respective roles, they cannot yet be considered for scientific experimental use much less be used irresponsibly in excitement-seeking self-experimentation.

6. Cohen, S.: Suicide Following Morning Glory Seed Ingestion, Amer J Psychiat 120:1024-1025 (April) 1964. DOWNLOAD

8. Frear, D.E.H.: Pesticide Handbook, State College, Pa: College Science Publishers, 1963, p 8.

9. Frear, D.E.H.: Personal communication to the author, July, 1964.
JAMA, Dec 28, 1964 • Vol 190, No 13

Ingram AL (1964): Morning glory seed reaction. J. Amer. reed. Ass. 190, 1133–1134. doi:10.1001/jama.1964.03070260045019 (DOWNLOAD)

Additionally, two peoplpe have reported that they contacted the Burpee company and were told that Burpee's morning glory seeds are not treated with anything. Bluelighter morninggloryseed stated that in the distant past, he called "the big three" seed companies regarding this issue and all the companies said that the seeds are untreated.*

---
here's a cool update for everybody interested in trying this with burpee seeds. As stvip recommended, I emailed the company that made my seeds and this was the reply I got as to my question of: Are the seeds chemically treated at all?:

We do not treat our seed with any toxic chemicals.

Our seeds are untreated and we even have some vegetables in an organic
line.

You can feel free that the seeds you handle will not leave a residue of
toxicity on your hands.

Sue
Burpee Customer Service

08/03/05 MycoMateo http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4490792#4490792
---

---
Burpee has NO pesticides nausea stomach discomfort and vomiting is normal on burpee morning glory seeds. (Last year i emailed them and asked) I never got sick off of burpee brand morning glory (flying saucers, heavenly blue)

06/25/07 implee http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7092490#7092490
---

More evidence of treated seeds:

---
I just received some seeds that were treated with fungicide maxim apron, I have never planted with treated seeds before, what do you think about health risks? Should i return them?

Thanks,Wendey

Jan 13, 2012 wendeyzee http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg011631318352.html
---

*http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/715530-Morning-glory-seeds-LSA?p=12212305&viewfull=1#post12212305

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that out, stupid drug myths

I noticed quite a lot of morning glory growing on fences when I was in Detroit, you could really harvest a lot of seeds on the side of the streets there. Maybe it was just the neighbourhood I was in. I grew some outside on the balcony this year but I forgot to collect the seeds. The flowers were pretty though.

Even though there are still companies that don't use any nasty chemicals I'd rather know exactly what I am putting in my body. I'm that way with any drug, and I have test kits for pretty much anything you could want to test. Which has saved me from some not so pure mdma and lsd before. If I'm going to do drugs, I at least want to do them in the safest way possible.

Growing a wall of morning glories it is!

Given the herbicide content in most conventionally farmed food, the paranoia about herbicides being in drugs is really overstated.

Given the herbicide content in most conventionally farmed food, the paranoia about herbicides being in drugs is really overstated.

I understand that, but food is nessisary to live, drugs aren't. If I have the option to opt out of eating chemicals I do in any way possible. Which is why I like to grow a lot of my own stuff. Gardening isn't limited to just flowers and vines.

Now when it comes to drugs, say someone hands me some MDMA and they say it's good. I don't care if I've known the person for years I'm still going to test kit it. Just because it is drugs, and if I'm going to take a drug I want to take the intended drug. Not some other slightly cut, possibly sprayed whatever.

ive heard of these ill look something up real fast and if it helps then go for it, if its saying bad things i would listen to the article :p

Effects of Morning Glory seeds
The LSA in Morning Glory is a psychedelic drug which has very strong mental effects, similar to those of LSD. Many users experience a quiet and dreamy state, as well as cheerfulness, new insights, great interest in the things around them and a dreamy awareness. One has to take into account certain side effects, like considerable nausea and a mellow feeling before starting the trip; this can last for more than 1 hour.

Using Morning Glory seeds
The degree of the high is affected by when one has eaten last, because the seeds are eaten. If you consume the seeds on an empty stomach (4-6 hours after eating), you can begin to feel the effects within 1 hour. The first effect to be felt is often nausea. The strong psychedelic effect will take place some hours later. The whole experience will last between 6 to 10 hours.

Different ways of use
-Chew on seeds as long as possible and afterwards swallow them. This is not the nicest method of consuming the active ingredients.
-Grind the seeds and then soak them in water for half an hour. Filter this substance a little bit and drink it.
-Soak the seeds in water for 3 to 4 days (change the water regularly).
Remove the soft white substance around the seeds and eat the seeds. This is the best method if you want to avoid the negative side effects. The effects of the Morning Glory seeds will be slightly less.

Dose of the Morning Glory seeds (according to Erowid):
Light effect 50 to 100 seeds (1,5 to 3 grams)
Standard effect 100 to 250 seeds (3 to 6 grams)
Strong effect 250 to 400 seeds (6 to 10 grams)
Heavy effect 400 or more seeds (10 grams or more)

Warnings
Morning Glory seeds can give you a fabulous and extraordinary experience, but some guidelines should be followed when using them.
Never combine LSA with alcohol, MAO-inhibitors or medicines.
People experiencing sadness or depression are advised not to use Morning Glory seeds or similar products.
People with a history of schizophrenia in their family should be very careful using the seeds, as they could cause psychological problems.
Do not take Morning Glory if you are lactating or pregnant.
Do not drive or handle heavy machinery when you have taken Morning Glory seeds.

All in all sounds decently fun, but i would still be careful since most drugs effect nearly everyone differently.

I think I'm just going to grow both plants. They're both pretty, both have LSA, and I'll get to experience the whole process from the very beginning. Fingers crossed everything grows as it should!

They are very rewarding to grow. They for sure need a long distance to climb. I had some grow past a trellis up the side of my house on phone and cable lines and continued to grow across the roof. Probably 50-60 feet.

I've heard the yields on morning glory are very small, you would need a lot of plants to get a lot of seeds, and you probably want a lot. It would be nice to grow some but I would buy some in bulk from a supplier that is known to not spray them with anything. I've got some Heavenly Blues from a source on ebay that are great (I don't think I can post the supplier) but look for something like "untreated" or "natural" etc.