• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Morning depression

Man67

Bluelighter
Every night I take 10mg Zolpidem, 6mg Bromazepam and 100mg Amitriptyline. All that for 4-5 hours of sleep because I have chronic insomnia for the last 10-15 years. I am fine with all this except for one side effect. Every morning I wake up severely depressed. Which one of above mentioned meds is most likely to make me feel like that and how come that Amitriptyline doesn't work for depression at all?

I’ve taken zolpidem for extended periods of time and have never gotten depressed from it…how long have you been taking it? 4-5 hours a night is not a lot of sleep 😬 insomnia sucks, hope some others can give you more insight ❤️

I have always woken with morning depression... its pure fkn hell.
I am fine by afternoon

I went and saw pschartrist me put me on quarter valium when I wake at dexamphet.

first time in my life no depression. if I eat the tabs literally as I wake.

I have always woken with morning depression... its pure fkn hell.
I am fine by afternoon

I went and saw pschartrist me put me on quarter valium when I wake at dexamphet.

first time in my life no depression. if I eat the tabs literally as I wake.
Thanks. How much Valium (mg) do you take? Have to try that with Bromazepam.

He is right I have bad sleep issues and if Valium hasn't wore off, I am fine. If I get lucky and fall asleep for more than a couple of hours, then depression, but sleep+ insomnia+ lots meds= complications that are hard to deal with.
Melatonin in large doses worked but after 2 days have to leave it alone, cause nothing happens, but when I am not on it for a while, for some reason it just knocks my ass out. Might interact with several meds I am on, not sure. But if you do so, then do it at your own risk, don't want to give advice that could cause harm, but taken it larger than recommended doses might be dangerous so.... but it can knock me out for a great night's sleep, where ever I am when it kicks in, but after 1 or2 days nothing, gotta reset, but do so at your
own risk, laugh all you want but it does work, in high doses for 1 or 2 nights, then I give it a rest, yeah bad pun. Some people actually try 3 MG, lol; 10mg and then a few of them or so, take at own risk and if you do be lying down, cause if you do so and you are like me, lights out, wake up with remote control still in my hand. But I usually have Valium, oxy, gaba, and well will leave it at that. Sorry my meds kicked in and make me nuts for a half hour to an hour, sometimes, depends on some weird factors, 😅

I wake severely depressed, feelings of despair every morning. As soon as my eyes open I have to get out of bed so I can snap out of it. If I were to try and just lay in bed I would focus on everything negative in my life for some reason. I'll turn the tv on for back round noise, make some coffee and start my day and slowly the negative thoughts fade. And I dont take any drugs at night.

Every night I take 10mg Zolpidem, 6mg Bromazepam and 100mg Amitriptyline. All that for 4-5 hours of sleep because I have chronic insomnia for the last 10-15 years. I am fine with all this except for one side effect. Every morning I wake up severely depressed. Which one of above mentioned meds is most likely to make me feel like that and how come that Amitriptyline doesn't work for depression at all?
Ami did nothing for my low mood, but 25mg at bed time and in the morning it gave me a boost of energy. Sort of like a forced get out of bed autopilot mode. But after 4 weeks the side effects outweigh any of the positives and I wasn't about to increase the dose. So came of it... I tried other AD without any relief and I've come to realise that I need to get to the root cause of it and CBT plus having a support network around me beats any AD I have tried.

Ami did nothing for my low mood, but 25mg at bed time and in the morning it gave me a boost of energy. Sort of like a forced get out of bed autopilot mode. But after 4 weeks the side effects outweigh any of the positives and I wasn't about to increase the dose. So came of it... I tried other AD without any relief and I've come to realise that I need to get to the root cause of it and CBT plus having a support network around me beats any AD I have tried.
You did well. Ami doesn't work as a antidepressant at all. Just a sleeping aid with terrible side effects. I don't knew how to quit after 10 years. Every medical professional tells me to stay on it or to increase the dosage which I refuse.

I wake severely depressed, feelings of despair every morning. As soon as my eyes open I have to get out of bed so I can snap out of it. If I were to try and just lay in bed I would focus on everything negative in my life for some reason. I'll turn the tv on for back round noise, make some coffee and start my day and slowly the negative thoughts fade. And I dont take any drugs at night.
I tried at least 2-3 antidepressants from every group. Some of them are helping a bit and some of them are not. But NONE OF THEM works for morning depression. Your coping method is excellent and just continue that way. I can't because I am exhausted mentally and physically. Despite all sleep medications I wake up around 4am (turning off the light at midnight) and have no clue what to do or where to go?

Last edited:
I dont have much experience with different meds/drugs. Though when I was in inpatient detox they gave me Trazadone at night and I slept like a baby and woke just fine. I continued it when I got out for awhile then stopped because I just didn't need it to sleep anymore. A few years later i felt severe depression and a psyc Dr. put me back on Trazadone to sleep and to help with depression, seemed to work since I did snap out of it.

Also a long term insomniac, your morning depression is probably a mix of only getting 4-5 hours of sleep + taking meds that suppress quality sleep and I don't know how to equate it but you probably are getting the equivalent of 3-4 hours or less. The average person will feel depressed even after one night of 4 hours of sleep, so sleeping like this over an extended period of time is definitely just making you feel like garbage.

The only way I've successfully beat my insomnia is by doing a nightly schedule and pretty much cutting my caffeine intake to green tea only in the morning and being cautious about consuming nicotine at night. My nightly schedule is usually just reading a book for 30 min-1 hr, meditating for 10 minutes minimum, and then watching mindless tv shows (like adult swim shows) until I go to bed. Melatonin 10mg as well and on and off L-Theanine (for some reason when I take L-Theanine for sleep for more than 2-3 months nightly it causes even more insomnia). I've been on a long list of meds for it (anti-psychotics, ssris, blood pressure meds, etc.) and self medicated myself with benzos and Z-drugs and my method has been really the only thing with relatively consistent results and don't leave me waking up feeling like death. Still get insomnia sometimes, but it is much more manageable and only happens maybe 5-7 days a month. The quality sleep is really a life changer sucks it took me like 8 years to figure it out.

Also I eat a high protein snack about 2 hours before bed. Usually a small fat free-greek yogurt or handful pistachios (pistachios are great for added melatonin too but I don't know how much it differs from the pills)

Edit:

Forgot to add though my routine unfortunately does nothing for when my insomnia ruminates into waking up a ton all night. Only really helps me fall asleep and I pray to God (sometimes literally) that I just sleep through the night. I don't drink any water too 3 hours before I sleep since if I wake up to piss once it could turn a night that could have been 7 restful hours into 3 hours

Last edited:
Also a long term insomniac, your morning depression is probably a mix of only getting 4-5 hours of sleep + taking meds that suppress quality sleep and I don't know how to equate it but you probably are getting the equivalent of 3-4 hours or less. The average person will feel depressed even after one night of 4 hours of sleep, so sleeping like this over an extended period of time is definitely just making you feel like garbage.

The only way I've successfully beat my insomnia is by doing a nightly schedule and pretty much cutting my caffeine intake to green tea only in the morning and being cautious about consuming nicotine at night. My nightly schedule is usually just reading a book for 30 min-1 hr, meditating for 10 minutes minimum, and then watching mindless tv shows (like adult swim shows) until I go to bed. Melatonin 10mg as well and on and off L-Theanine (for some reason when I take L-Theanine for sleep for more than 2-3 months nightly it causes even more insomnia). I've been on a long list of meds for it (anti-psychotics, ssris, blood pressure meds, etc.) and self medicated myself with benzos and Z-drugs and my method has been really the only thing with relatively consistent results and don't leave me waking up feeling like death. Still get insomnia sometimes, but it is much more manageable and only happens maybe 5-7 days a month. The quality sleep is really a life changer sucks it took me like 8 years to figure it out.

Also I eat a high protein snack about 2 hours before bed. Usually a small fat free-greek yogurt or handful pistachios (pistachios are great for added melatonin too but I don't know how much it differs from the pills)

Edit:

Forgot to add though my routine unfortunately does nothing for when my insomnia ruminates into waking up a ton all night. Only really helps me fall asleep and I pray to God (sometimes literally) that I just sleep through the night. I don't drink any water too 3 hours before I sleep since if I wake up to piss once it could turn a night that could have been 7 restful hours into 3 hours
I have similar routine (reading, not drinking anything after 9pm). I also tried melatonin (2mg) for two months and it didn't work at all. Few years back I went for a holiday and forgot my meds. I couldn't sleep for 10 days. After that I was mentally and physically broken. Since then I always take my pills at the same time and have 4-5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. It's not a quality sleep but it's better than nothing. I am not dizzy in the morning, just a bit tired. Tapering current medication and trying something new is out of question. Not emotionally strong enough to do that.

My morning depression is so bad.
Like every morning I wake and just am so depressed about work, life and don't want to live.
If I lived in America and had a gun by my bed I would have provably shot myself upon waking

I have no more benzos so I have to use stimulants.

I am fine by about 11am

my friend who has bad depression got on Zoloft. He tells me he is n longer suicidal and life is finally bearable and he has hope.

Like every morning I wake and just am so depressed about work, life and don't want to live.
If I lived in America and had a gun by my bed I would have provably shot myself upon waking

I am fine by about 11am

my friend who has bad depression got on Zoloft. He tells me he is n longer suicidal and life is finally bearable and he has hope.
It is really common for depression to be worse in the mornings and improve over the course of the day. Have your doctor try you on different medications if the one that you are taking is not working.

I am fine by about 11am

I am in same situation like you. I also got prescribed Zoloft which helps during the day. But in my case it doesn't work for morning depression at all.