• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

More Poppy Pod discussion.

mysafehome01

Bluelighter
Sorry for another post but I couldn't get the answers on it once it went too far and was wondering if anybody had any fresh info for me.

Hey man, just wondered if you could answer a few more questions regarding my poppies?

After petal fall I waited until the leaves were starting to die and the crown had started to become erect. The pods were about an inch in size across, so say medium.
I first tried blending 2 in some fruit juice to test potency, didn't notice any effects.
The next day I tried blending 4 of the same sized pods, still no effect.
Finally I tried 6 pods, same again no effect.

I'm 99.9% sure these are legitimate Papaver Somniferum, I've been gardening quite a number of years so this helps me in identifying them. The bulk of them are Tazmanian purple, Persian white and Turkish red.

Am I doing something wrong? My only tolerance issue would be the use of Dihydrocodeine which shouldn't effect it that much.

Anyway, cheers if you can help at all.

peace.

In my successful attempts at eating pods (I skip the tea) finely crushed to a fine powder and chased with water (takes longer for the onset...1hr and a half but is so much stronger that you need 3 times as less as you would with tea, and so much longer) but always dried pods.

Some people say raw is better than dried.....maybe some of those guys can help you!

I would suggest you dry them (hanged upside down) and give them another try.

Maybe they need to dry on the pod or at least not have that green color when your harvesting them as they may still be producing alkaloids.

The times I've grown I've found the best way was to let the pod get brown/dry out on the plant and then cut it or simply snap it off at the stem. These no longer have to be put upside down since some have already bent downwards from the weight of the seeds and even so they are dry already! If they are still green they I cut them off the stem and put the plant upside down so the sap stays in the pod & stem and you will notice when you cut it, there is some white sap that comes out from both the stem of the pod your holding and from the part of the plant/the stem that you cut it from. I believe this is why you must have them dry upside down...I know though that this is done with other herbs as well such as St. Johns Wort for example.

p.s. If you take a look on youtube even in Afghanistan the method of harvesting opium from poppies has changed drastically, previously they would bleed the pod for several days and collect the sap. These days they are simply ripping the head off the pod and putting it through a relatively simple process that involves extracting the opium from the dried plant matter, while the pharmaceutical industry almost exclusively uses this method, isolating the morphine & codeine further in their licensed laboratories.

I don't have experience growing them but from my experience with dried pods grinding them into a fine powder is really important to get the most out of them. A lot more surface area to get dissolved into the water. I just use a coffee grinder then either make a tea with them (filtering out any big chunks with a coarse filter) or just down the raw powder with some water/juice. Different pods/batches can have different potency as well so in my experience it is best to grind up all the pods into a big container/bag and mix it around so you at least get a fairly consistent amount of morphine/codeine per gram of dried pods.

I've tried grinding them manually once with a hammer which ended up in much bigger chunks and it was maybe 1/10th the potency at most compared to finely grinding them in a coffee grinder.

Potency of poppy pods varies dramatically from one variety to another, and from one crop to the next. Although experienced poppy drinkers learn to titrate their dose as they drink the tea, it takes time to get to know the material you're working with. Start low, work up.